• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Link your Holy Book!

evearael

I thought it would be wonderful for everyone to post a link to their faith's holy books and writings (if online resources exists) or to write out sufficient information to find the text in a library or book store. Also, list the reason, if known, your denomination or sect uses that particular version (when multiple versions of the text exist, like the Bible). Thank you! :flower:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
evearael said:
I thought it would be wonderful for everyone to post a link to their faith's holy books and writings (if online resources exists) or to write out sufficient information to find the text in a library or book store.
Okie, dokie! Here is one link to The Book of Mormon online.

http://www.hti.umich.edu/m/mormon/

I know that every LDS poster on RF is going to point you all to the Church's official website instead. That site http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bm/contentshttp://www.lds.org is also good -- if you want access to a lot of footnotes. But for readability and a good search function, the site I listed is far better, in my opinion.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Here is an online version of the Bosnian Koran: http://bs.wikisource.org/wiki/Kur'an

Generally speaking, this is the only religious book held in esteem by Bosnian Muslims. The hadiths, as far as I'm aware, have not even been translated into Bosnian and they're quite rare beyond religious clergy and certain monastery-based religious sects.

Bosnian isn't as complex as English, and certainly doesn't even compare to Arabic, so it's certainly not a direct translation - or, rather, the smaller vocabulary in Bosnian allows each passage to have many more meanings.

As an example, say you wanted to say "Pediatrician" in English, in Bosnia it would be "Doktor". Optometrist, gynecologist, neurosurgeon - they're all "Doktor" too. There are no words more precise than that in Bosnian; so you can imagine what that, multiplied over the thousands of versus in a holy book, turns into.

But the Koran is especially beautiful in Bosnian. You couldn't compare it to Arabic, but it flows so beautifully and nicely that Sultan Sulejman the Magnificent, when he heard the Koran spoken in Bosnian, said it was God's intention that His word reach our people. :D

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
An actual example from the Koran, so you can see the differences between the Bosnian translation and the original version. This is just translating al'Fatiha, 1:1-1:7

Bosnian verse
Bosnian verse translated into English
Arabic verse translated into English

U ime Allaha, Milostivog, Samilosnog
In the name of God, Gracious, Compassionate
In the name of God, the Almighty, the Merciful

Tebe, Allaha, Gospodara svjetova, hvalimo
You, God, Lord of the world, our thanks
Praise be to God, Lord of the worlds

Milostivog, Samilosnog
Gracious, compassionate
The Almighty, the Merciful

Vladara Dana sudnjeg
Governor of the Day in court
King of the Day of judgement

Tebi se klanjamo i od Tebe pomoć tražimo
You we pay homage and of you we seek help
You alone we serve, and you alone we seek for help

Uputi nas na Pravi put
Instruct us in the way of Justice
Guide us to the straight path

na Put o­nih kojima si milost Svoju darovao
On the Path of those whom You bestow your graciousness
The path of those whom You have blessed

a ne o­nih koji su protiv sebe srdžbu izazvali, niti o­nih koji su zalutali
And not with those who have brought about your wrath on themselves, or who have gone astray
not those who have incurred the wrath, nor the misguided