• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lin-chi's Self-Realization

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What did Lin-chi realize in the twinkling of an eye?

Lin-chi I-hsuan was born in the early years of the ninth century in present-day Shantung province. Although the details of his early life are sketchy, it seems that from an early age his inherent brilliance was recognized. He was a model child, filled with reverence for his parents, but he was soon drawn to buddhavachana, the Word of Buddha, and he became a monk. As a youth he studied the sutras and the vinaya rules for monks, as well as numerous commentaries on sacred texts. By the time he was in his twenties, however, he had lost interest in orthodox practices and rituals and he yearned for direct insight, prajna, into Buddha's message. So he began to travel in search of a teacher, eventually arriving at the monastery of Huang-po, perhaps the most famous ch'an teacher of the day. He listened to Huang-po's discourses and followed the practices of the monastery for three years without apparent results. He was on the verge of giving up when the head disciple suggested that he seek a private interview with Huang-po. He did so, and when he asked his teacher the standard question, "Why did Bodhidharma come from the West?" Huang-po hit him with a stick. Twice again he visited Huang-po, and both times met with similarly curt responses. In despair, he told the head monk that he was leaving to seek his goal elsewhere.

When Lin-chi met Huang-po to say farewell, the old master gently advised him to go to the nearby monastery presided over by Ta-yu, and that counsel changed Lin-chi's life. Upon presenting himself to Ta-yu and explaining his story, Ta-yu said, "Huang-po treated you with great compassion. He only wanted to dispel your distress." Suddenly Lin-chi understood and replied, "So Huang-po's doctrine is very simple; there's nothing to it at all!"

"You scamp!" Ta-yu yelled, grabbing Lin-chi. "You complained that Huang-po's teaching was incomprehensible. Now you say there's nothing to it. What have you realized. Speak quickly!"

Lin-chi responded by poking Ta-yu's ribs, and Ta-yu said, "Your teacher is Huang-po. You do not concern me." Lin-chi returned at once to Huang-po's monastery and presented himself to his teacher.

"Haven't you come back a bit soon?" Huang-po asked. "You only just left."

"Because you have been so kind to me," Lin-chi replied, "I have returned quickly." Then Lin-chi told of his meeting with Ta-yu.

"What a big mouth that old man has", Huang-po declared. "When I next see him, I'll give him a taste of my staff."

"Why wait?" Lin-chi responded. "I can do it now", and he slapped Huang-po's face.

Huang-po said, "This crazy monk is plucking the tiger's whiskers", and Lin-chi let out a yell.

"Take him to the assembly hall", Huang-po instructed an attendant.