• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light of my life

PureX

Veteran Member
You can speak for yourself, for some, God's existence is meaningless to anything that matters, nothing to grapple with.
The question/proposition is still defining you, in part, even as you deem it "meaningless". That's a very intriguing thing about it. You'll notice that when two people are trying to get to know each other they don't ask; "Do you believe in Bigfoot?". But they do often ask; "Do you believe in God?". It's because that answer defines a person in ways far beyond the basic subject.

Last edited:

sciatica

Notable Member
if i could just shed some light in the issue.......i would be Christian?
I wont keep you in the dark anyway

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Except it isn't a dogma, but rather not believing the proposition that there is a God or gods or anything such. So no faith required. As many have already pointed out before elsewhere, not believing in some proposition - existence of Santa Claus, fairies, etc. - hardly means that one therefore has a faith in the lack of such, unless one wants to abuse the language we use. All that we believe or don't believe is founded in trust or more likely probabilities as to our being correct, but many of us realise this such that for many or even most things we will have some or a very large amount of doubt. At least many of us admit this, whereas many of the religious seem to have certainty as to their beliefs or faith - so as my tag indicates, a form of arrogance.

And of course, if you believed such, that lacking a belief equals faith, then you will likely be duplicitous - not having your one faith (in whatever) - but having several faiths, in all the things you didn't believe - which of course is nonsense.

Ha, you need to pay attention to your own comments, like:

" All that we believe or don't believe is founded in trust or more likely probabilities as to our being correct,"

Which is STILL relying upon faith that despite atheists lack of evidence, that they are STILL "right", and that automatically makes the others "wrong". As that is all you atheists can ever can argue about, the lack of your evidence to back up your faith that God and all spiritual matters don't exist. And that is the atheist's faith based dogma no matter how simplistic it is.

Atheists lack rational thinking just as much as those brainwashed by religions. Neither of these groups are capable of HONESTLY trying to research what they believe in to gather cold hard facts both for and against their beliefs, or non-beliefs, and doing everything they can to determine which things are or are not true. Nor are they willing to CHANGE their beliefs if new evidence comes to light.

lukethethird

unknown member
The question/proposition is still defining you, in part, even as you deem it "meaningless". That's a very intriguing thing about it. You'll notice that when two people are trying to get to know each other they don't ask; "Do you believe in Bigfoot?". But they do often ask; "Do you believe in God?". It's because that answer defines a person in ways far beyond the basic subject.
It's a meaningless question and just as meaningless to define a person based on their answer.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

I'll bet the members and staff of The Bigfoot Research Field Researchers Organization would disagree with you.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Ha, you need to pay attention to your own comments, like:

" All that we believe or don't believe is founded in trust or more likely probabilities as to our being correct,"

Which is STILL relying upon faith that despite atheists lack of evidence, that they are STILL "right", and that automatically makes the others "wrong". As that is all you atheists can ever can argue about, the lack of your evidence to back up your faith that God and all spiritual matters don't exist. And that is the atheist's faith based dogma no matter how simplistic it is.

Atheists lack rational thinking just as much as those brainwashed by religions. Neither of these groups are capable of HONESTLY trying to research what they believe in to gather cold hard facts both for and against their beliefs, or non-beliefs, and doing everything they can to determine which things are or are not true. Nor are they willing to CHANGE their beliefs if new evidence comes to light.

Hardly. It's just that some of us are honest enough to recognise that we usually cannot know if any of our beliefs or non-beliefs are true. No faith required in accepting this, unlike a belief and faith in some particular religious view, where many do seem to think they know that such is true. Not answering my last point?

PureX

Veteran Member
Don't speak for everyone based upon your own spiritual limitations of understanding.
If "God" was standing right in front of you, right now, in all it's inexplicable and blazing glory, you would still have no way of determining that it was actually God. As opposed to some sort of self-generated mental delusion, or some clever magician's illusion, or some advanced alien species masquerading is "God" for your, their, or some other purpose. There simply is no degree to which you could experience God and be certain that what you're experiencing IS God, because as a human, you are simply no equipped to verify the conditions and characteristics that we attribute to our concept of "God". In this respect, I can speak for and to the limitations of all humans.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a meaningless question and just as meaningless to define a person based on their answer.
What the possibility of God existing means or does not mean to you has no bearing on what it means or does not mean to anyone else. And everyone instinctively knows this ... but you, apparently. As you keep asserting it as if everyone else is supposed to agree with you. So that from your response, here, other people can tell a lot about you: about how you relate to their right and ability to determine meaning for themselves.

lukethethird

unknown member
What the possibility of God existing means or does not mean to you has no bearing on what it means or does not mean to anyone else. And everyone instinctively knows this ... but you, apparently. As you keep asserting it as if everyone else is supposed to agree with you. So that from your response, here, other people can tell a lot about you: about how you relate to their right and ability to determine meaning for themselves.
My point was that the existence of God or the non existence of God makes no difference to anything, it doesn't effect anyone's rights, no effects at all.

PureX

Veteran Member
My point was that the existence of God or the non existence of God makes no difference to anything, it doesn't effect anyone's rights, no effects at all.
The existence or non-existence of God is unknowable. And therefor, so is the significance of "it's" existential effect (if there is any). What does effect people, significantly, is the POSSIBILiTY that God could exist, and exist in a way that would seriously effect how we live our own lives. You keep focusing on what is unknowable, and thereby moot, and missing what is significant, and highly relevant.

lukethethird

unknown member
The existence or non-existence of God is unknowable. And therefor, so is the significance of "it's" existential effect (if there is any). What does effect people, significantly, is the POSSIBILiTY that God could exist, and exist in a way that would seriously effect how we live our own lives. You keep focusing on what is unknowable, and thereby moot, and missing what is significant, and highly relevant.
The possibility of mythology/theology being a reality might effect you, but not everybody cares to play a part in the big story.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Hardly. It's just that some of us are honest enough to recognise that we usually cannot know if any of our beliefs or non-beliefs are true. No faith required in accepting this, unlike a belief and faith in some particular religious view, where many do seem to think they know that such is true. Not answering my last point?

Oh, ok, so you are not really an atheist, but an Agnostic.

Now that I know you're Agnostic, that makes your last statement moot.

But for the sake of debating, an atheist holds their belief that there is no God only upon faith, because they cannot provide proof that there isn't any God.