• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light it up gold and Red!

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Tagging @JustGeorge cuz she has autistic children.
Well...this month is April acceptance month...time to wear gold and red! Tommorrow is autism acceptance day. Dont light it up blue kids-autism speaks is a hate group! Not to meantion blue was chosen cuz people thought only males had it.Lots of autistic people say acceptance not awareness.
Heres a link on light it up red Light It Up Red for World Autism Awareness/Acceptance Day - Learn From Autistics
It’s World Autism Day and many #ActuallyAutistics are wearing red to celebrate. Others will wear blue to support the awareness campaign initiated by Autism Speaks. The Light It Up Red Instead (#WalkInRed) counter-campaign originated in 2015 to boycott Autism Speaks and recapture the narrative of autism awareness and acceptance. There are numerous articles detailing the history behind the tension between Autism Speaks and the autistic community.
And on gold Going Gold For Autism Acceptance | Autistic UK CIC
The Âû suffix has become quite common in its use as it uses the Autis(tic)(m) = Au* = Gold idea to self-identify and as a community had started #LIUG, Light it up Gold, in response to Auti$m $peak$ (A$). This was not the only use of Gold or Au we found, but it was the most common and seemed to have struck a loud chord in many groups and individuals in other countries as well as the UK.
And the second of this month is Autism Acceptance Day.

Last edited:

VoidCat

Other colours that represent autism found here:
Which Colour Represents Autism?
Over the years, many challengers have arisen seeking to take the crown of the definitive autism colour. However, few have succeeded, leaving the throne still vacant. While I myself have my own preferences, which will become clear soon enough, here is a slightly unbias rundown of the bookies’ favourites:

Blue
Maybe it’s because old habits die hard or maybe it’s because all the pre-bought blue autism merch can’t be refunded, but it seems that when it comes to assigning a new autism colour, some people have taken the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ approach – despite the reality being that blue is almost certainly ‘broke’ as a colour (but let’s not repeat ourselves).

Red
Put forward in 2015 to stand as a direct contrast to Autism Speaks ‘light it up blue’ campaign, red is a striking colour often used for raising awareness of the neurodiversity movement. With heavy ties to passion and love, two things which autistic people are often misaccused of being incapable of, red has become a fast favourite, despite being held back by its connections with rage and anger – associations which don’t do it any favours, especially when the colour was originally intended as a protest above all.

Gold
Used by those who want to see a move away from autism awareness and on to autism acceptance, gold is a colour commonly associated with wisdom, enlightenment and optimism. Chosen due to the periodic symbol for the element gold: Au, gold may be much rarer than most other colours on this list, but it’s inoffensive nature and clever origin make it a strong contender for autism colour.

Purple
The iconic colour of the U.K’s National Autistic Society, purple is a natural progression away from blue, due to having the same hues as the colour but better connotations, such as imagination and being the most powerful wavelength of a rainbow (which in itself is a spectrum). Purple is also considered rare in nature which could be seen as a negative, due to making autism seem a lot less prominent than it actually is. However, it has also been seen as a colour for royals, which makes it perfect to take the aforementioned autism colour crown.

Taupe
Used to highlight the somewhat ironic nature of the Light It Up Blue campaign, which features dazzling lights and overwhelming publicity events to raise awareness of a community who suffer from sensory processing issues. Tone it down Taupe may not be the most obvious choice for autism colour but, since 2013, it’s underdog nature makes it an exceptionally endearing alternative, when all other colours are blitzing skylines on April 2nd (and hey, it’s coincidentally quite close to my site’s colour – so it gets my vote!).

Rainbow
Why settle for one colour when you can have them all? Used to portray the autistic spectrum in its full diverse entirety, the use of a rainbow (usually not far away from an infinity symbol) is a great solution to the autism communities indecisiveness and its connotations with joy and optimism make it a welcome one at that. One major concern with the use of this, however, is that the use of a rainbow could easily be confused with the same colours used by the LGBTQ community means that, even when your answer to ‘What colour should represent autism?’ is ‘All of the above’ there is still room for contention

Last edited:

VoidCat

I just edited it so that there are quotes and you dont have to read whole articles.

VoidCat

A very nice post @RayofLight. It is good that attention is drawn to this little-understood issue. I did not know about @JustGeorge's children. Very best wishes to that family.
I remember she mentioned it in a thread a while back... @rocala I do know one thing. Autism is not a curse. People such as those who run autism speaks think it is but it aint.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I do. I have a 14 year old that's on the Asperger's end of things, and a 7 year old that...well, his name's Ares. Enough said. He's more hyposensitive, but I find that 'type'(for lack of a better term) of autism gets very little recognition. We hear more about the hypersensitive(like my oldest) where I am.

Autism can present challenges for some, but it can also make a person more skilled in some areas. My oldest son may have waited until he was 7 to really talk, but when he did, his opinions were well formed, and more adult like. Both kids seem to be good at troubleshooting and problem solving, if the topic interests them.

I was impressed(maybe I shouldn't have been) that the last card game I bought for Ares, it immediately occurred to him to stack the deck. Yeah, I didn't let it fly, and told him that was cheating, but I was still impressed he thought of it that quickly.

Got a 2 year old without autism, too. This is my first time around without autism. Its been different.