• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light barrier possibly broken.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm assuming he means a toroidal core on the transformer. (Donut shaped)

Small_toroidal_transformer.jpg

A "toroidal" core on the transformer? Does Optimus Prime have one of those?

I'm so confused!!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not surprising. I don't see any reason why it would be impossible for anything to move faster than light. Impossible today doesn't mean impossible tomorrow.

Photonic

Ad astra!
It's not surprising. I don't see any reason why it would be impossible for anything to move faster than light. Impossible today doesn't mean impossible tomorrow.

Hmm. It's possible that it's because I'm a physicist I understand that nothing should be able to move faster than light without negative mass. But I find that your view may not be without merit.

It's often people that don't understand they can fail that succeed. It doesn't always happen but hey.

Physicists once believed it was literally impossible to levitate something in a magnetic field due to the mathematics variables and uncertainty.

They were proven wrong by a toy maker who did exactly that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's often people that don't understand they can fail that succeed. It doesn't always happen but hey.
Aircraft, spacecraft, robots, synthetic life, cybernetics, even transmitting data the way we do today were all impossible at one point in time. There is so much left to still discover and learn not only about the universe but our own planet as well, that impossible is more of a challenge than a fact.

Photonic

Ad astra!
Aircraft, spacecraft, robots, synthetic life, cybernetics, even transmitting data the way we do today were all impossible at one point in time. There is so much left to still discover and learn not only about the universe but our own planet as well, that impossible is more of a challenge than a fact.

Sure is!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Aircraft, spacecraft, robots, synthetic life, cybernetics, even transmitting data the way we do today were all impossible at one point in time.

Actually, not entirely. All the components needed for them were already there; we just needed to figure out how to use them.

So, technically, they have always been possible, but no one thought of how to make them. :D

Photonic

Ad astra!
Actually, not entirely. All the components needed for them were already there; we just needed to figure out how to use them.

So, technically, they have always been possible, but no one thought of how to make them. :D

Well, the saying does go; "Nothing is impossible, merely improbable."

I agree with that. It's my life's work to challenge that which we don't understand.

I would like to make a really cool example.

In Stargate there is this race called the Ancients that make the Stargates. One of the Ancients manifests itself in a physical form from ascension(Where the physical form is shed for an energy form) and gets trapped in a house by the military.

He builds a Stargate out of a toaster and some spare things around the house.

That kind of knowledge is hardly impossible, as we know many ways to create advanced technology out of household things even today. Things that would have been nothing less than the realm of a God to do. Even our current average lifespan would have been nothing less than amazing at a certain point in our modern history!

DavyCrocket2003

And I think synthetic life is still on the "to do" list. Scientists have made a synthetic genome, but AFAIK, no one has made a living cell from scratch yet. It's crazy though, we're just one the beginning edge of the frontier of life science!

atanu

Premium Member

And actually it is not from scratch. THe man made genome was incorporated into a living system. No life has been created afresh. In plants such replication has been going on from primeval times.

The man-made genome was then transplanted into a related bacterium, Mycoplasma capricolum. This “rebooted” the cell so that it was controlled by the synthetic genome, transforming it into another species. The cell has since divided more than a billion times.

Last edited:

Photonic

Ad astra!
And actually it is not from scratch. THe man made genome was incorporated into a living system. No life has been created afresh. In plants such replication has been going on from primeval times.

In a bacterium, the genetic composition constitutes it's entire makeup.

What they did was essentially use a shell.

We created an entirely new species with a genome made absolutely from scratch. It's genetic makeup is of human origin now.

atanu

Premium Member
In a bacterium, the genetic composition constitutes it's entire makeup.

What they did was essentially use a shell. Genome is not the living being.

We created an entirely new species with a genome made absolutely from scratch. It's genetic makeup is of human origin now.

What do you mean by shell? As far as I know genome is not the living being.

Last edited:

lunamoth

Will to love
Actually they copied the genome of a pre-existing species similar to the one they enucleated and used for the 'shell.'

atanu

Premium Member
True, but the method used means they can now build a full structure. That was the point of the experiment.

The man made genome is implanted alonside the original one in bacterial cell. On division about half of the new cells will contain the man made genome.

Photonic

Ad astra!
The man made genome is implanted alonside the original one in bacterial cell. On division about half of the new cells will contain the man made genome.

It's not exactly the same, they say as much in the article and the experimentation papers.

The other half are killed off using an anti-biotic so it only allows the favorable ones to spread. It's a new species. It's genetic makeup is not the same.

If we had the technology that would allow us to construct a whole cell from scratch than we would do that.

atanu

Premium Member
It's not exactly the same, they say as much in the article and the experimentation papers.

The other half are killed off using an anti-biotic so it only allows the favorable ones to spread. It's a new species. It's genetic makeup is not the same.

If we had the technology that would allow us to construct a whole cell from scratch than we would do that.

Yes. Both ways have been applied. See the multimedia in the page.

Scientists Transplant Genome of Bacteria - New York Times

The main point is that a living substrate is used.