• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life

King Phenomenon

During your brief life in the world do you think you’ll have a better chance at finding the answers you’re looking for in a book or by pondering alone? Also what are the chances of your ponderings being exactly like what’s written in ink?

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
During your brief life in the world do you think you’ll have a better chance at finding the answers you’re looking for in a book or by pondering alone?
Combination of both.
There is valuable info in the scripture and the books written by sufi masters from the past, i would have to use my own pondering to to find "my way" through life.

But there are also spiritual paths that do not have any books they get their teaching from, so it is possible by oral teaching too i would think.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
During your brief life in the world do you think you’ll have a better chance at finding the answers you’re looking for in a book or by pondering alone? Also what are the chances of your ponderings being exactly like what’s written in ink?
I use a number of sources. Text, discussion and pondering. I doubt my pondering would emulate the text of any one book.

Edit: I also use the internet which includes a number of different available media and forums.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
A book. I found the answers to just about all my questions in my late teens, when I began looking deeply into the Bible with the help of Jehovah’s Witnesses, believe it or not.

When I saw the harmony within Scripture as revealed through their understanding, I molded my belief system to fit theirs. I became a JW.

Now whenever I look at what’s going on ‘in the world’ (as you put it), it just reinforces those beliefs! Every.single.time!

Take care, my cousin.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Is it true the Jehovah’s Witness let their children die before giving them a blood transfusion if that could save their life?
That’s a loaded question, isn’t it?

Doctors can’t guarantee a transfusion of blood will save anyone’s life.

There are other, safer treatments.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Wouldn't that depend on the condition? What other treatments are you referring to?

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Wouldn't severe blood loss be one of those conditions where a transfusion is about the only treatment. I am just curious. I thought there were exceptions to the rule.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I found this, I do not know if this is what @Hockeycowboy thinking of :)

What are the possible alternatives to blood transfusion?
  • Iron. An Iron Healthy Diet. Iron Supplements. IV (Intravenous) Iron.
  • ESAs (Erythropoesis Stimulating Agents)
  • Preoperative Autologous Blood Donation (PAD)
Most of those treatments would be for chronic conditions or expected procedures. I am curious about traumatic instances that the first two treatments would be insufficient at addressing and the 3rd treatment option would be incredibly unlikely. Being hard to plan for a traumatic injury that results in significant blood loss and the problem with long-term storage of blood.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Most of those treatments would be for chronic conditions or expected procedures. I am curious about traumatic instances that the first two treatments would be insufficient at addressing and the 3rd treatment option would be incredibly unlikely. Being hard to plan for a traumatic injury that results in significant blood loss and the problem with long-term storage of blood.
Ah i understand.
I can not speak for JW on that.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Neither

RestlessSoul

I’m not sure I can answer your question, but I can make these observations;

All the great civilisations cherish libraries.

Pretty much every spiritual practice encourages prayer and meditation.

Our lived experience also contributes to our sum of knowledge and understanding.

As does consultation with others.

Humanity has been gifted with many great teachers. Not all of them wrote books. Probably not all were literate. But many of those who were not, still had books written about them.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Is it true the Jehovah’s Witness let their children die before giving them a blood transfusion if that could save their life?
No that is false.

They know that it's all God's Grace

That's what I believe. I think that's what they believe also. IF wrong THEN let me know;)

PureX

Veteran Member
Fortunately, it's not an either/or decision. It's choosing the best of both. There are millions of books filled with all sorts of useful information for us to ponder, and put to good use. Information that we might not otherwise have ever considered by ourselves.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
During your brief life in the world do you think you’ll have a better chance at finding the answers you’re looking for in a book or by pondering alone?

In my experience, neither.

Pondering is thinking, and thinking alone isn't really going to reveal anything in the absence of something to think about.

Books are written about someone else's experience. While the offer insights and give one something to ponder, someone else's experiences do little more than validate one's own.

Also what are the chances of your ponderings being exactly like what’s written in ink?

Some of them are. They're called journals. ;)

That said, answers that I think you're talking about, in my experience, come through neither books or pondering. They come through experiences. Books can validate these experiences, and pondering these experiences can help one better understand them on an intellectual level. However, there are experiences that I struggle to wrap my head around intellectually, which would explain why I can't really explain them in words.