• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life Without God leads to an Existential Crisis?

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
thank you, I did read your post. It's very interesting actually. As I mentioned, I do understand that theists can also experience an existential crisis as well, but the nature of it would be totally different - ie, it would revolve around the idea of "accountability". Most religions in the world teach a moral caveat which revolves around the idea of judgement/karma in the afterlife.
Thank you, I just read it. It's a nice hypothesis, but other than anecdotes, is there any real evidence (not just a verbal description and classification) that this really happens? That this distinction between different kinds of existential crises based on religion (or lack thereof) is in any way real or important, and not just speculation of theists about atheists?
you and I are thinking about this, together... if a study has been done, then I for sure would like to see it. nice to read you man!!! :)

peace

Mohsen

I was raised around a lot of atheists, soft atheists I suppose, but there sure weren't any crises I was ever made aware of. The closest thing to a crisis was poverty some years when it was a bad crop.

India?

Mohsen

Hm, there's multiple large things to respond to there.
Sorry.

While I get what you mean by theistic accountability, that didn't have anything to do with the crisis I went through either. At best that just confused me and led to some resentment with people I knew in my life, but that was unrelated.

Ok, fair. We won't go into that. Best to let sleeping dogs lie, as the saying goes.

As someone who doesn't believe in things like religious judgement or karma, I can't see how any of that should even register to me. I also don't see why anything should be pointless without any of that.

Forgive me, I wasn't clear. I'm saying that for a theist, accountability being the main theme of the afterlife - could lead to an existential crisis as well.

To me, life is much more important and valuable simply because it won't last forever and this may be our only chance. That's what has kept me going even through the worst of my depression. The more I've understood that, the more I've been able to push through.

Ok, I'm pleased it worked for you. Though it wouldn't for me. I can't think, nor believe that all this existence is just random! There has to be something more - which is why I believe God is the best explanation for the universe and our existence. "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle. Through deductive process, for myself, I have concluded that the best inference/explanation is God!

I've certainly considered my existence plenty. Being an atheist hasn't blocked my reasoning in any way; in fact, quite the opposite has been the case. I'd say that consideration has a lot to do with why I've become an atheist. It's been very liberating for me.

Can you be certain that your faculties of rationality are sound?

peace

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Living a life without a belief in God is known to cause an existential crisis within most atheists. Imran Hussein explains why by referencing an ayah (verse) from the Qur'an. The Ayah in question is from Surah Ta'ha, 20:124 "And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind." - Dawah Digital blurb for the following video:

This video got me thinking. How do atheists deal with their existential crisis? Your thoughts are welcome!

peace
Never happened to me, I'm perfectly content. Obviously, Allah, Mohammed and Imran Hussein were incorrect.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Living a life without a belief in God is known to cause an existential crisis within most atheists. Imran Hussein explains why by referencing an ayah (verse) from the Qur'an. The Ayah in question is from Surah Ta'ha, 20:124 "And whoever turns away from My remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind." - Dawah Digital blurb for the following video:

This video got me thinking. How do atheists deal with their existential crisis? Your thoughts are welcome!

peace
Personally, his sentiments strike me as being common theistic arrogance and his presumptions about atheists even more so. Fairly superficial observations, really. What the fellow (and many theists) cannot comprehend is that if the universe is a random chance occurrence that makes it FAR more remarkable than if a creator was responsible for the whole thing. Life is no less meaningful to my strong atheist view than it is to yours. The difference is I create my meaning.

As to an existential crisis, um, nope. Again, my existence is remarkable because it was a random chance event in the history of reality. I shouldn't exist, and yet, here I sit. I certainly don't need a god to give my life meaning, nor do I fret over some warped theistic afterlife of peaches, prayers and cream.

Mohsen

Never happened to me, I'm perfectly content. Obviously, Allah, Mohammed and Imran Hussein were incorrect.
With all due respect, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and have already apologised if I have unintentionally offended anyone in this thread. So I do wonder why you would bring up Allah, Muhammad pbuh or Imran Hussein with such contentious undertones in your post! Maybe it is because you have no sense of morality due to your atheist position? And think this is all just a game of troll?

I can assure you, my lines of enquiry are genuine, and not for the purpose of having any ulterior motive which is questionable. I simply seek to know the nature which surrounds the existential crisis within atheists. If that makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to read, let alone post. Find your "happy place" and stay there.

Peace

Mohsen

Personally, his sentiments strike me as being common theistic arrogance and his presumptions about atheists even more so. Fairly superficial observations, really. What the fellow (and many theists) cannot comprehend is that if the universe is a random chance occurrence that makes it FAR more remarkable than if a creator was responsible for the whole thing. Life is no less meaningful to my strong atheist view than it is to yours. The difference is I create my meaning.

Good to read you again :)

So, you have to make it up? Like a fairy tale?

As to an existential crisis, um, nope. Again, my existence is remarkable because it was a random chance event in the history of reality. I shouldn't exist, and yet, here I sit. I certainly don't need a god to give my life meaning, nor do I fret over some warped theistic afterlife of peaches, prayers and cream.

lol at the peaches prayer and cream... you don't like peaches and cream? rubbish, everyone likes peaches and cream! unless they are lactose intolerant lol.

Ok, back to being serious, I would like to ask - if you are making up your moral playground based on your whimsical subjectivity, how can you be sure that you are morally fortified and not just playing to a compromised trade between immorality and your own subjective sense of justice?

peace

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Ok, I'm pleased it worked for you. Though it wouldn't for me. I can't think, nor believe that all this existence is just random! There has to be something more - which is why I believe God is the best explanation for the universe and our existence.
Well I understand that, but you are a theist. You were addressing how an atheist who doesn't believe what you do might approach this.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle. Through deductive process, for myself, I have concluded that the best inference/explanation is God!
I never saw how this quote was ever entirely rational, since all possibilities never seem to be considered. If we are given 5 possibilities and we eliminate 4 of them, it is not a given that the 5th is correct. I think a better approach is to not believe in something until we can provide more positive evidence for it despite the impossibilities of the alternatives. I'm not sure if this is drifting too much from the topic of this thread though.

Can you be certain that your faculties of rationality are sound?
What level of certainty would work for you? If you'd like to create this topic in another thread, I'm sure it would be a great discussion

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Good to read you again :)

So, you have to make it up? Like a fairy tale?
Why not? You have settled for something made up by others. Which is better?

Ok, back to being serious, I would like to ask - if you are making up your moral playground based on your whimsical subjectivity, how can you be sure that you are morally fortified and not just playing to a compromised trade between immorality and your own subjective sense of justice?
It isn't particularly whimsical, Mohsen, as my personal sense of morality has grown over many decades. I do not see theists as being particularly moral human animals. They make lots of noise about it but in the end they aren't any better than others. I guess the proof of the pudding is in my interactions with other human animals. I have a relatively problem free existence so I figure I must be doing something right. The difference of creating my own path is that I didn't need a book to point things out for me. I'm fairly mindful of how my actions affect others and have had the good sense to understand and learn from my mistakes. Failure is your friend, not your enemy.

Mohsen

Well I understand that, but you are a theist. You were addressing how an atheist who doesn't believe what you do might approach this.

Yes, you're correct, and I was hoping to get some insight. We're getting there, slowly :) I think.

I never saw how this quote was ever entirely rational, since all possibilities never seem to be considered. If we are given 5 possibilities and we eliminate 4 of them, it is not a given that the 5th is correct either. I think a better approach is to not believe in something until we can provide more positive evidence for it despite the improbability of the alternatives. I'm not sure if this is drifting too much from the topic of this thread though.

It's all relative, lol. I like your way of thinking, it works for me - as for evidence - I go beyond simply the empirical benchmark when I consider "evidence". For me, my own subjective experiences are also a type of evidence, as well as what I consider axioms - to also be evidential and thus, contributory to my world view. I cannot rely simply on empiricism.

What level of certainty would work for you? If you'd like to create this topic in another thread, I'm sure it would be a great discussion

That would be a good thread.

For now though, it's bed time for me as I have an early start and an action packed week at work.

I just want to say thank you to all who contributed to this discussion so far, it's been very interesting, in a good way. Thank you.

peace

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Many theists have told me that my life is meaningless, without purpose, and depressed, but I don't have any such things. I have no gods, no religion, and no existentialist crisis.
that there is simply nothing
That is a common misconception many theists have. Just because non-theists do not believe in an afterlife does not mean they think there is nothing and everything is pointless. Life is a pretty big something. Most atheists and theists would agree family is important. Both also tend to agree trying to leave the world better than it was when they got here is a worthy goal.

Mohsen

Why not? You have settled for something made up by others. Which is better?

Of course, I would say mine is ;) and you would argue yours. Let's not reduce it to that, instead, can we try and understand the "why" from each other? That would be more fruitful.

It isn't particularly whimsical, Mohsen, as my personal sense of morality has grown over many decades. I do not see theists as being particularly moral human animals. They make lots of noise about it but in the end they aren't any better than others. I guess the proof of the pudding is in my interactions with other human animals.

Your sense of morality has grown over several decades, just like anyone elses - the teachings regarding these come from where though? society? experience? loss? altruism? empathy? philanthropy? each has a certain leaning, but all would be found in the teachings of Islam from my personal study. Which is why I find Islam to be suited to the thinking person. Not that I'm saying you don't think, mind. It's just that is what I believe - we all have a path to follow, you're following yours and I'm following mine.

In fact - in the Surah of the Qur'an titled "the Unbelievers" the final verse is quite amicable - "to you be your way, and to me be my way" - lakum deenukum waleeyadeen - transliteration of the Arabic.

I have a relatively problem free existence so I figure I must be doing something right. The difference of creating my own path is that I didn't need a book to point things out for me. I'm fairly mindful of how my actions affect others and have had the good sense to understand and learn from my mistakes. Failure is your friend, not your enemy.

When you write "I didn't need a book to point it out for me" it does sound a little derogatory. Not everyone is a born scientific expert either, it's books which help us understand that which we study. I love the Qur'an for many reasons, it's more than a book to me, and millions of others - and this thread would be taken well off topic if I were to go into that here. Instead, I'd like to finish this post with an agreement. I agree that failure is oft misunderstood, those who fear it often accomplish very little.

time for bed, for the second time lol

peace

EDIT: @Shadow Wolf - I read your post, but I really need to sleep, I hope to catch up with this thread in the week, God willing, and reply to you then,

peace

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
With all due respect, I'm not trying to offend anyone, and have already apologised if I have unintentionally offended anyone in this thread. So I do wonder why you would bring up Allah, Muhammad pbuh or Imran Hussein with such contentious undertones in your post! Maybe it is because you have no sense of morality due to your atheist position? And think this is all just a game of troll?

I can assure you, my lines of enquiry are genuine, and not for the purpose of having any ulterior motive which is questionable. I simply seek to know the nature which surrounds the existential crisis within atheists. If that makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to read, let alone post. Find your "happy place" and stay there.

Peace
I do not mention those names with contentious undertones, I mention them because they are so intimately a part of the opening post, and therefore have a central role to play in the topic.

Mohsen

I do not mention those names with contentious undertones, I mention them because they are so intimately a part of the opening post, and therefore have a central role to play in the topic.
The topic is about the existential crisis which atheists face, and theists too - whether they be monotheist or polytheist! As demonstrated in my posts here. The OP was an opening to stronger, more genuine lines of enquiry and not pushing any schoolboy narratives, as you would seem to suggest.

peace

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Haha, get some sleep, Mohsen. That's more important than replying if it's past your intended bed time. It's just an internet forum. Have a good night!

Mohsen

Haha, get some sleep, Mohsen. That's more important than replying if it's past your intended bed time. It's just an internet forum. Have a good night!
my eyes are going square, and squinty at the same time lol, staring into a mobile phone screen haha. Good call, thanks :)

peace

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

peace

Even though I believe in God, I believe the above is a false generalization, and not meaningful. Atheists may become atheists and reject the traditional Theism they were raised with they no longer find a rewarding 'sense of community,' and meaning in the foundations of their belief.

It is true that a change in ones belief system may be the result of an existential crisis where the believer no longer finds meaning and very foundations of one's belief system. They may seek out another belief system that fulfills their expectations some find this in atheism/agnosticism, and possibly in fellowship with the Unitarian Universalists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

peace

It honestly sounds like he is having a crisis over this. I understand Why people need god but I dont understand why those who believe in god feel atheist have something missing, have a fault, have no value, and depressed (depressed???).

Some believe in god. Some dont. Some more than one. Some different definition. Many beliefs.

I mirror other folks. Where is the crisis?