• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life Update, Family, and Stroke

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Last month, my mom woke up unable to speak normally, move her right-side limbs much, or stand on her feet without losing balance. We rushed her to the hospital that morning and, after having scans done for her, found out she had a stroke, in addition to a previously undetected history of blood clots in the brain.

She's now undergoing nearly daily physical therapy in addition to following an extensive med regimen. Things haven't been the same since her stroke, and her age is showing. It has all been very sudden and difficult to process, but we're seeing very slow albeit steady improvement so far.

I'm not one to repeat cliches and catchphrases, but I do believe in this one enough to emphasize it: hug your loved ones while you can, folks. When my mom was hospitalized for a week, our home simply wasn't the same without her. It's one of those things that you notice most when it's taken away from you.

I'm deeply thankful it was only temporary and that she's back home now, even though it's sometimes hard to see how much her age is showing at this point. On the upside, I and the rest of the family are doing our best to make sure we give her even a fraction of what she has done over the years and take care of her as much as we possibly can.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
tulips-in-vase.jpg

pearl

Your mother is very fortunate that you got her to the hospital quickly. It makes all the difference in her outcome.

ManSinha

Glad she is doing well - as we age - we lose our reserves if you will
A child that accidentally breaks a bone or even runs up three flights of stairs - recovers much quicker
The ability to "bounce back" decreases as we age (when perhaps we need it the most)

As regards therapy - even when it ends - it is important for the person to carry on doing the exercises because the phrase "You snooze you loose" becomes frighteningly real.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just about what Man and other people have said. Wish her full health and to your family, all happiness.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Having had a minor stroke, I know how disruptive medical emergencies can be. I wish your mother a speedy recovery.

It's also wonderful that she's getting daily PT. That's the best possible treatment to regain function.

Jumi

We're all hoping your mom has a swift and complete recovery. Take all the time you can with her regardless of what happens. I wish you and your family strength.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Last month, my mom woke up unable to speak normally, move her right-side limbs much, or stand on her feet without losing balance. We rushed her to the hospital that morning and, after having scans done for her, found out she had a stroke, in addition to a previously undetected history of blood clots in the brain.

She's now undergoing nearly daily physical therapy in addition to following an extensive med regimen. Things haven't been the same since her stroke, and her age is showing. It has all been very sudden and difficult to process, but we're seeing very slow albeit steady improvement so far.

I'm not one to repeat cliches and catchphrases, but I do believe in this one enough to emphasize it: hug your loved ones while you can, folks. When my mom was hospitalized for a week, our home simply wasn't the same without her. It's one of those things that you notice most when it's taken away from you.

I'm deeply thankful it was only temporary and that she's back home now, even though it's sometimes hard to see how much her age is showing at this point. On the upside, I and the rest of the family are doing our best to make sure we give her even a fraction of what she has done over the years and take care of her as much as we possibly can.

Big hugs to your mom
:hugehug:

Take heart, many people can recover well from stroke. My father had one in 2009, it effected the part of his brain responsible for balance. He had what felt to him Iike a month long drunk. Slowly, (about 5 or 6 months) his balance returned. Now there is no stopping him.

Keeping your moms mind active will help in her recovery