• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life through the eyes of another

james dixon

Premium Member

I read comics when I was a boy and TV show’s and moves ever since. I have found myself playing the part of one of the characters and looking at life through their eyes. These experiences have helped me understand life from points of view I had never considered before. Sence my memory at my old age is so poor I can watch these shows again and experience the life of another character as if I was that person too.

Have you ever watched an episode of fiction and played the part of one of these characters too or the experience changed you in some way or another?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
or read a character in a book, yes. It was part of the way I built myself out of my shyness as a youth. And yes, the perspectives gained by using these fictional role models has helped me get through life.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think we identify with all the characters in the stories we experience, that's how the stories 'work'. But not all to the same degree, of course.

Empathy is a good quality to have, I think. It makes us more 'human' by broadening our perception of what being human, is.

I have noticed that when I come across a character that I identify with, strongly, it's often illuminating to take some time to consider how, and why, I feel that way. And conversely, if I come across a character that repels me, it's also illuminating to consider why, and how.

It's what art is all about: this sharing of the artist's experience and perspective of life, through artifice, with others, so that they can know they are not alone, and so they can see 'being here' through the eyes, mind, and heart of someone else.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

I read comics when I was a boy and TV show’s and moves ever since. I have found myself playing the part of one of the characters and looking at life through their eyes. These experiences have helped me understand life from points of view I had never considered before. Sence my memory at my old age is so poor I can watch these shows again and experience the life of another character as if I was that person too.

Have you ever watched an episode of fiction and played the part of one of these characters too or the experience changed you in some way or another?

Well, yeah. That's sort of the point innit? Suspension of disbelief and all that...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've studied acting as a hobby and found it illuminating in the way the OP describes.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

I think that Dorothy of Oz and Casper the friendly ghost did that a lot for me when I was growing up. More recently, going back to the Hopalong Cassidy movies helped confirm and clarify some of my thoughts and feelings about global economics. Corruption of government and dishonest, treacherous, murderous appropriation of people's lands and natural resources by powerful economic interests, going back centuries, and most of all in recent history by oil interests.

One character that I've played sometimes on the Internet has been the Man of La Mancha, with people that I've seen being marginalized and stigmatized in their communities. Another character that I identify with is the little drummer boy. My whole life has revolved around that for decades.