• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life on Earth and You.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
How would you characterise the relationship between humans and the rest of life on the planet, according to your beliefs?
If you consider yourself to be an individual within an organised religion, do your views on this relationship derive solely from your religion, or is it nuanced to any extent by yourself?

Reactions: Jim

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Thank you. Care to expand a little?

Hmm, well...

My ideas in a religious understanding and religious context, don't even rise to the level of the ideas in a video game I've played, that wasn't even necessarily that focused on such.

I feel that past Abrahamic ideas, as well as my immature understanding of some of my new ideas, are not enough love for mother earth.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hmm, well...

My ideas in a religious understanding and religious context, don't even rise to the level of the ideas in a video game I've played, that wasn't even necessarily that focused on such.

I feel that past Abrahamic ideas, as well as my immature understanding of some of my new ideas, are not enough love for mother earth.

Well it sounds like that love will grow, given your awareness. :smilecat:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How would you characterise the relationship between humans and the rest of life on the planet, according to your beliefs?
If you consider yourself to be an individual within an organised religion, do your views on this relationship derive solely from your religion, or is it nuanced to any extent by yourself?
I have respect for all living beings, I can not speak for how others see animals and insects, plants and so on, but to me, their life is just as valuable as human life. We as humans have no right to take the life of another living being in my understanding.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I have respect for all living beings, I can not speak for how others see animals and insects, plants and so on, but to me, their life is just as valuable as human life. We as humans have no right to take the life of another living being in my understanding.
Is this essentially drawn from Falun Gong?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is this essentially drawn from Falun Gong?
Not directly, but yes the teaching in Falun Gong does speak of having respect or all living beings and that we should not kill anything on purpose.
But I do admit some of my philosophy does comes from when I was a Buddhist for more than 20 years.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Symbiotic, imo. I am a died-in-the-wool environmentalist, a leftover from my more hippie days.

The Catholic Church, especially with Pope Francis, is very much on board with where I've been. It certainly wasn't always that way though.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Symbiotic, imo. I am a died-in-the-wool environmentalist, a leftover from my more hippie days.

The Catholic Church, especially with Pope Francis, is very much on board with where I've been. It certainly wasn't always that way though.

Nowt wrong with a hippie! I'm not a Catholic, but I like the cut of Francis' jib.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I'd say humanity can recognize how to change things at some critical level.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think a good balance should exist.

Take/use only what you need and replenish what you take.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
OK. And what is the relationship between humanity and non-human life?
26 ¶ And God said, Let aus bmake cman in our dimage, after our elikeness: and let them have fdominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own aimage, in the image of God created he him; male and bfemale created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be afruitful, and bmultiply, and creplenish the dearth, and subdue it: and have edominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 ¶ And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for ameat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for ameat: and it was so.

The things exclusively meant for humans are what set us apart.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
26 ¶ And God said, Let aus bmake cman in our dimage, after our elikeness: and let them have fdominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own aimage, in the image of God created he him; male and bfemale created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be afruitful, and bmultiply, and creplenish the dearth, and subdue it: and have edominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29 ¶ And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for ameat.

30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for ameat: and it was so.

The things exclusively meant for humans are what set us apart.

OK thanks for that. This sounds like it's to do with what we eat, yes? If so, what humans may eat is the same as what other species may eat, so just in food terms, what do you see as setting humans "apart" ? (or am I barking up the wrong tree?)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
OK thanks for that. This sounds like it's to do with what we eat, yes? If so, what humans may eat is the same as what other species may eat, so just in food terms, what do you see as setting humans "apart" ? (or am I barking up the wrong tree?)
No. It's dominating the other species and subduing the earth and multiplying and replenishing it.