• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Life comes from Life"!

shmogie

Except that your first statement was not that the way in which abiogenesis happened in unknown, it was that it was "absolutely false":-

The evidence that it did does exist, just not (yet) a tested theory of how it happened.
No, the evidence may show it is true, but by the same token, what is perceived as evidence, may have nothing to do with the ultimate solution, if there ever is one. It seems to be evidence.

It is absolutely false, till it is proven to be absolutely true.

If I told you babies were found under cabbage leaves, even if I believed it, and had a list of things I considered evidence, is it true or false? Why?

What would it be if I had reels of film, showing babies slowly being extruded from the roots of cabbage plants?

shmogie

You said that people "argue about it", where "it" is the statement that abiogenesis hasn't been solved yet.

So, yes, it is EXACTLY what you said. Why would you keep repeating this point, if you are of the opinion that people were agreeing with it? No, you said they ARGUE ABOUT IT. Which would mean that they are NOT AGREEING with it.

And just like predicted, no links, no names, no post numbers.

Just arguing for the sake of arguing.
LOL, you just can't stay away, can you?

I keep repeating the point for people like you, who just keep coming back, like bugs to light.

Wrong, once again. I said, if you remember, that some want to ARGUE WITH ME, and use the statement as a Trojan horse to draw me into an argument about my beliefs., just like you are doing here. I haven't taken the bait, and won't with you.

Will you be coming back? I bet you do ! Perry Mason, you are not.
what will you think up next?

gnostic

The Lost One

I keep repeating the point for people like you, who just keep coming back, like bugs to light.

Wrong, once again. I said, if you remember, that some want to ARGUE WITH ME, and use the statement as a Trojan horse to draw me into an argument about my beliefs., just like you are doing here. I haven't taken the bait, and won't with you.

In another word, you are a troll, so everyone should put you in their IGNORE lists.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
No, the evidence may show it is true, but by the same token, what is perceived as evidence, may have nothing to do with the ultimate solution, if there ever is one. It seems to be evidence.

The evidence for the history of life on Earth from a starting point about 3.7 billion years ago is plentiful and multifaceted - denying is no more than blind faith.

:facepalm:

Today your fallacy is: argument from ignorance.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

So I guess you don't feel like answering the question of why you put so much focus on the point that the origins of life are unknown at this point.

So be it.

shmogie

The evidence for the history of life on Earth from a starting point about 3.7 billion years ago is plentiful and multifaceted - denying is no more than blind faith.

:facepalm:

Today your fallacy is: argument from ignorance.
Yes, life began on earth. I don't deny this

I simply state that the process whereby non living matter combines to produce a living organism is not known.

I make no argument, as you state. I simply elucidate the fact.

It is what it is

shmogie

In another word, you are a troll, so everyone should put you in their IGNORE lists.
No, I am being trolled, because I stated a simple fact in a response.

Because that single response was continually addressed by folk like you, casting aspersions on me, because they don't like the fact.

I didn't create the thread, I wrote a single short sentence, within the framework of a discussion of abiogenesis.

Everything I said beyond that was in response to something directed at me.

So, you followed the pattern of a personal attack because of a statement of fact.

Why?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And this sort of black and white thinking is part of the problem here, I think.

If I told you babies were found under cabbage leaves, even if I believed it, and had a list of things I considered evidence, is it true or false? Why?

OK, suppose we did not know where babies come from and were investigating it. You present some evidence that they were produced under cabbage leafs and others present evidence that they are carried by storks and others that they some out of a woman's belly.

We can dismiss storks and cabbage leaves because neither storks nor cabbage leaves have been found near to where babies are first found.

That doesn't mean that it is conclusive that babies come from women's bellies, but in the absence of other possible explanations, it has, at the very least, narrowed down the possibilities.

Furthermore, we can perform other observations, such as the size of women's bellies and how they decrease about the time that we find babies.

Now, does that give us a *complete* picture of how babies come about? Clearly not. But, again, it definitely limits the possibilities and points in a direction to be investigated further.

What would it be if I had reels of film, showing babies slowly being extruded from the roots of cabbage plants?

That would be solid evidence. And, again, it should be compared to any other evidence found as to possible mechanisms.

Among other things, we can consider the genetics of cabbages and babies and see if there is any mechanism linking the two. We can consider overall biology and see what connections we can find. Again, the films would help to point us in a direction for further study.

One point: this is an ongoing process and we *never* have absolute 100% incontrovertible evidence for *any* general proposition in science. And that goes even more so for historical sciences. It is *always* a mater of 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

And this is why the statement above is so wrong: we *never* have absolute proof, but we *do* have evidence and reason. To even talk about 'absolutely false' or 'absolutely true' is to go into impossibilities when thinking about the real world.

But that doesn't mean we can't limit the range of possibilities and investigate the processes involved.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
so maybe "life" isn't really alive
until it say say...….I AM!

more likely a spiritual form did that First

shmogie

And this sort of black and white thinking is part of the problem here, I think.

OK, suppose we did not know where babies come from and were investigating it. You present some evidence that they were produced under cabbage leafs and others present evidence that they are carried by storks and others that they some out of a woman's belly.

We can dismiss storks and cabbage leaves because neither storks nor cabbage leaves have been found near to where babies are first found.

That doesn't mean that it is conclusive that babies come from women's bellies, but in the absence of other possible explanations, it has, at the very least, narrowed down the possibilities.

Furthermore, we can perform other observations, such as the size of women's bellies and how they decrease about the time that we find babies.

Now, does that give us a *complete* picture of how babies come about? Clearly not. But, again, it definitely limits the possibilities and points in a direction to be investigated further.

That would be solid evidence. And, again, it should be compared to any other evidence found as to possible mechanisms.

Among other things, we can consider the genetics of cabbages and babies and see if there is any mechanism linking the two. We can consider overall biology and see what connections we can find. Again, the films would help to point us in a direction for further study.

One point: this is an ongoing process and we *never* have absolute 100% incontrovertible evidence for *any* general proposition in science. And that goes even more so for historical sciences. It is *always* a mater of 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

And this is why the statement above is so wrong: we *never* have absolute proof, but we *do* have evidence and reason. To even talk about 'absolutely false' or 'absolutely true' is to go into impossibilities when thinking about the real world.

But that doesn't mean we can't limit the range of possibilities and investigate the processes involved.
Thank you for an accurate and reasonable response.

I am not a scientist, my field is the law.

Within the framework of my field, evidence has very specific rules related to admissibility, quality, and conclusions drawn from that evidence.

The word "absolutely" is just a word for emphasis lets drop it. That leaves us with false.

If I state that suspect X is guilty of murder, before trial, the statement is false. He is legally presumed innocent.

If he goes to trial, and all the admissible evidence leads to a guilty verdict, then saying so is true. Until trial, the evidence cannot be understood as to how the jury will view it. What I might view as devastating evidence against the suspect, may be viewed by the jury as unimportant. Jury verdicts do not address absolute guilt, they address a reasonable supposition of guilt, again, based upon specific standards. In civil cases, the preponderance of evidence, in criminal cases, beyond a reasonable doubt.

So, it is difficult for me to view evidence outside of this ingrained system.

As to abiogenesis, there must be a jury somewhere that weighs the evidence, and based upon it, proclaim a verdict of true or false. It cannot be made in the basis of "it must be".

This is a very, very long ongoing investigation and trial, the end is not in sight.

I consider the jury to be the actual scientific community working on the problem.

I consider the verdict to be when this jury reaches a consensus theory that is validated by scientific rules, like observation, and the others.

As I have said the evidence, is evidence of marvelous things, is it evidence of abiogenesis? I don't think anyone can say at this point, one can only slog away following various lines of inquiry.

My opinion is that it did not occur, nevertheless, a wise, and honest person doesn't deny true fact, even if it destroys their world view.

What exists for abiogenesis now is light years away from disabusing me of my opinion.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for an accurate and reasonable response.

I am not a scientist, my field is the law.

Within the framework of my field, evidence has very specific rules related to admissibility, quality, and conclusions drawn from that evidence.

The word "absolutely" is just a word for emphasis lets drop it. That leaves us with false.

If I state that suspect X is guilty of murder, before trial, the statement is false. He is legally presumed innocent.

If he goes to trial, and all the admissible evidence leads to a guilty verdict, then saying so is true. Until trial, the evidence cannot be understood as to how the jury will view it. What I might view as devastating evidence against the suspect, may be viewed by the jury as unimportant. Jury verdicts do not address absolute guilt, they address a reasonable supposition of guilt, again, based upon specific standards. In civil cases, the preponderance of evidence, in criminal cases, beyond a reasonable doubt.

So, it is difficult for me to view evidence outside of this ingrained system.

And that is how the law works. But science is not the same as the law. The goals are very different: law seeks justice, while science seeks truth. And, as I am sure you know, the two are often not the same.

In law, the jury verdict is what determines guilt or innocence. Furthermore, if found not guilty, no further prosecution (well, at least in the US) can be done for that same charge.

That is NOT how science works. Instead of being an adversarial dynamic, with one side trying to prove guilt or innocence, science tends to be a cooperative venture with all sides trying to figure out the truth. No jury verdict is made. Instead, discussion continues until the evidence is enough to convince all sides on an issue. new evidence is continually sought, and tests of each claim are expected to be made.

As to abiogenesis, there must be a jury somewhere that weighs the evidence, and based upon it, proclaim a verdict of true or false. It cannot be made in the basis of "it must be".

Nope, there is no jury. Anyone who disagrees, and that has relevant evidence, is able to comment. Now, there is an expectation that anyone entering into the debate do the necessary background research to be able to deal with the details or, at the very least, accept the views of those who have on any given point (unless there is evidence otherwise).

Debate is closed when there simply aren't any relevant objections left to discuss. And it can be reopened when new, relevant evidence is found.

Now, debate points from 150 years ago, that were resolved at that time and where no new evidence is relevant to the conclusion, are not going to be reopened because someone simply doesn't like the conclusion. They have to present *relevant* evidence and good reasoning before such happens. But, it *can* happen and has happened many times in the history of science.

This is a very, very long ongoing investigation and trial, the end is not in sight.

I consider the jury to be the actual scientific community working on the problem.

I consider the verdict to be when this jury reaches a consensus theory that is validated by scientific rules, like observation, and the others.

As I have said the evidence, is evidence of marvelous things, is it evidence of abiogenesis? I don't think anyone can say at this point, one can only slog away following various lines of inquiry.

My opinion is that it did not occur, nevertheless, a wise, and honest person doesn't deny true fact, even if it destroys their world view.

What exists for abiogenesis now is light years away from disabusing me of my opinion.

OK, but one of the aspects of how science works is by using competing models to seek out the truth. At each point in time, we use the model that has worked the best. Anyone who wishes to challenge that model has to give solid evidence striking at the heart of the model OR present a model of their own that explains more \ and is testable.

At this point, abiogenesis: that life arose naturally by chemical processes on the early Earth, is the best model we have. It has allowed us to structure a research program that has overcome many initial objections. Alternative models, like panspermia, are much less supported by the evidence at this point.

Those wanting to bring in supernatural agencies have a MUCH harder challenge:

First, they would have to give *independent* evidence of such supernatural agencies.

Second, they would have to give rules under which those agencies operate, which is what allows testability.

Third, they would have to show some link between those agencies and the origin of life.

Fourth, they would have to give *at least* as much detail as current chemical theories give.

Fifth: they would have to give a research program based on testing and improving their ideas.

Nobody has come anywhere close to doing these steps, so that aspect of biogenesis is simply not discussed: it simply isn't detailed enough to compete with the alternative theories.

shmogie

And that is how the law works. But science is not the same as the law. The goals are very different: law seeks justice, while science seeks truth. And, as I am sure you know, the two are often not the same.

In law, the jury verdict is what determines guilt or innocence. Furthermore, if found not guilty, no further prosecution (well, at least in the US) can be done for that same charge.

That is NOT how science works. Instead of being an adversarial dynamic, with one side trying to prove guilt or innocence, science tends to be a cooperative venture with all sides trying to figure out the truth. No jury verdict is made. Instead, discussion continues until the evidence is enough to convince all sides on an issue. new evidence is continually sought, and tests of each claim are expected to be made.

Nope, there is no jury. Anyone who disagrees, and that has relevant evidence, is able to comment. Now, there is an expectation that anyone entering into the debate do the necessary background research to be able to deal with the details or, at the very least, accept the views of those who have on any given point (unless there is evidence otherwise).

Debate is closed when there simply aren't any relevant objections left to discuss. And it can be reopened when new, relevant evidence is found.

Now, debate points from 150 years ago, that were resolved at that time and where no new evidence is relevant to the conclusion, are not going to be reopened because someone simply doesn't like the conclusion. They have to present *relevant* evidence and good reasoning before such happens. But, it *can* happen and has happened many times in the history of science.

OK, but one of the aspects of how science works is by using competing models to seek out the truth. At each point in time, we use the model that has worked the best. Anyone who wishes to challenge that model has to give solid evidence striking at the heart of the model OR present a model of their own that explains more \ and is testable.

At this point, abiogenesis: that life arose naturally by chemical processes on the early Earth, is the best model we have. It has allowed us to structure a research program that has overcome many initial objections. Alternative models, like panspermia, are much less supported by the evidence at this point.

Those wanting to bring in supernatural agencies have a MUCH harder challenge:

First, they would have to give *independent* evidence of such supernatural agencies.

Second, they would have to give rules under which those agencies operate, which is what allows testability.

Third, they would have to show some link between those agencies and the origin of life.

Fourth, they would have to give *at least* as much detail as current chemical theories give.

Fifth: they would have to give a research program based on testing and improving their ideas.

Nobody has come anywhere close to doing these steps, so that aspect of biogenesis is simply not discussed: it simply isn't detailed enough to compete with the alternative theories.
The law seeks truth, that will lead to justice.

The law uses competing models, they are called theories. The litigants in a trial have competing theories of the case based upon the evidence.

Of course, panspermia still begs the question of how life began, somewhere.

It appears that supernatural explanations cannot be harnessed by the scientific method, yet.

I happily concede this. That is why I do not interject it into discussions of abiogenesis. It would be like asking how high is high.

I accept that within the parameters of the scientific method, abiogenesis seems the only way for life to begin.

Because of this, many have adopted what I call the interlocutory view of the origin of life.

An interlocutory decree is a legal declaration that a specific state exists, and is irrevocable. However, that state is not in effect for a period of time. Most people understand it in a context of divorce. The divorce is granted, it exists, yet it is not applied for X number of months or years.

So, some say abiogenesis is an unavoidable fact. it exists, it is a tangible truth, it just isn't proven yet.

That seems unscientific to me.

These are the people that suspect nefarious motives, or the individual must be attacked in some manner, when it is pointed out that abiogenesis is not a fact, and has yet to become a viable scientific theory.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The law seeks truth, that will lead to justice.

The law uses competing models, they are called theories. The litigants in a trial have competing theories of the case based upon the evidence.

Of course, panspermia still begs the question of how life began, somewhere.

It appears that supernatural explanations cannot be harnessed by the scientific method, yet.

And, given their nature, probably never. So such are legitimately out of discussion for how life arose.

I happily concede this. That is why I do not interject it into discussions of abiogenesis. It would be like asking how high is high.

I accept that within the parameters of the scientific method, abiogenesis seems the only way for life to begin.

Let's be clear. At some point in the past there was no life. Later, there was life. So life came from something that was not alive. That is abiogenesis. And that had to happen at some point in the universe since there was no life a minute into the Big Bang (temperatures not allowing it) and there is life now.

The question is whether chemical abiogenesis is the mechanism or whether there is some other mechanism for the origin of life.

Since life is a chemical process, it seems far more likely that abiogenesis happened through chemical means than, say, through nuclear or mechanical means.

Because of this, many have adopted what I call the interlocutory view of the origin of life.

An interlocutory decree is a legal declaration that a specific state exists, and is irrevocable. However, that state is not in effect for a period of time. Most people understand it in a context of divorce. The divorce is granted, it exists, yet it is not applied for X number of months or years.

So, some say abiogenesis is an unavoidable fact. it exists, it is a tangible truth, it just isn't proven yet.

That seems unscientific to me.

And I would say that given that we know there was no life 13 billion years ago and that there is life now, the only option is some sort of abiogenesis. Unless you can offer a researchable alternative?

hese are the people that suspect nefarious motives, or the individual must be attacked in some manner, when it is pointed out that abiogenesis is not a fact, and has yet to become a viable scientific theory.

That some sort of abiogenesis happened seems to be inescapable. Whether it was chemical in nature and whether it happened first on Earth are possible points of contention (with the nuclear option very unlikely and panspermia not very likely).

And that means that the question boils down to mechanics and location. And those are still open questions.

tas8831

Ooooo big man!

Say - did you ever find that fake "interview" with a years-dead Stanley Miller in which he 'admitted' that his experiments failed?

Or was that just a typical right-wing 'Christian' lie that your made-up creationist microbiologist 'friend' told you?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
What’s cool about Curiosity’s discovery of organic molecules on Mars | EarthSky.org

What’s cool about Curiosity’s discovery of organic molecules on Mars

Posted by Paul Scott Anderson in SPACE | March 19, 2020
The Curiosity rover has found organic molecules called thiophenes, which, on Earth, are associated with biological systems. Are they evidence for once-living microbes on Mars?
  • The search for evidence of life on Mars, past or present, just took an interesting new twist. Researchers studying the data sent back by NASA’s Curiosity rover have found evidence for organic molecules called thiophenes, which, on Earth at least, are primarily a result of biological processes. The researchers are not claiming proof of life, but the discovery is certainly intriguing. The finding is being called “consistent with the presence of early life on Mars.”

The findings were announced by researchers from Washington State University, and the peer-reviewed paper was published in the journal Astrobiology on February 24, 2020.

On Earth, thiophenes are often found in coal, crude oil, kerogen and even a species of mushrooms called white truffles. They can also be found in stromatolites and microfossils. On Mars, they were found by Curiosity, along with other organics, in an ancient mudstone formation called the Murray Formation.

The new paper explores some of the ways that thiophenes could be created on Mars, either biologically or abiotically (without life). As astrobiologist Dirk Schulze-Makuch, one of the two authors, explained in a statement:

We identified several biological pathways for thiophenes that seem more likely than chemical ones, but we still need proof. If you find thiophenes on Earth, then you would think they are biological, but on Mars, of course, the bar to prove that has to be quite a bit higher.

Old-Soaker-mudstone-Mars-Curiosity-Dec-31-2016-800x559.jpg

A slab of mudstone called Old Soaker in the Murray Formation. Curiosity took these images on December 31, 2016. The mudstone shows what are thought to be mud cracks from when the region was once wet and then dried up a few billion years ago. Image via NASA/ JPL-Caltech/ MSSS.

Thiophenes are essential to biology, containing four carbon atoms and one sulphur atom in a ring. They can, however, occur without any connection to life. On Mars, this could be from meteor impacts or perhaps thermochemical sulphate reduction (TSR), where a set of compounds is heated to 248 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius) or more. This could conceivably have happened during volcanic activity on early Mars.

There are several ways that thiophenes can be formed biologically, however, which is what makes them of such interest to scientists looking for evidence of Martian life. Bacteria can create a sulphate reduction process – biological sulphate reduction (BSR) – that results in thiophenes. The thiophenes themselves can also be broken down by bacteria in several ways.

One interesting aspect of the Martian thiophenes is that the geological processes that can create them require the sulphur to be nucleophilic, where sulphur atoms donate electrons to form a bond with their reaction partner. But most of the sulphur known to exist on Mars is non-nucleophilic. TSR could reduce them to nucleophilic sulphides, but so could BSR.

One problem is that while Curiosity can detect molecules such as thiophenes, it is limited in how much detailed analysis it can do. The onboard lab it uses – the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument – primarily breaks down large molecules into smaller pieces using heat, although some additional testing can be done using wet chemistry.

So how can scientists tell if these thiophenes are biological or non-biological in origin?

It isn’t easy with the tools that Curiosity has, so an answer will probably have to wait for a follow-up mission such as NASA’s Perseverance rover, set to launch this July, or Europe’s Rosalind Franklin rover, also scheduled to launch in July or August 2020.

Curiosity-Mars-self-portrait-Feb-3-2103-714x1024.jpg

Self-portrait of Curiosity taken on February 3, 2013. Image via NASA/ Phys.org.

Rosalind Franklin, in particular, will use the Mars Organic Molecule Analyzer (MOMA) to analyze these kinds of molecules with additional non-destructive methods.

One big clue can come from the carbon and sulphur isotopes of the molecules. Lighter variations of isotopes – with fewer neutrons – are preferred by living organisms. Schulze-Makuch said:

Organisms are “lazy.” They would rather use the light isotope variations of the element because it costs them less energy.

Interestingly, as noted in an Air & Space article by Schulze-Makuch, the isotopic signature of sulphur-containing sediments found by Curiosity is very similar to that found in rocks from the Haughton impact crater in Nunavut, Canada … which are thought to result from BSR.

If one of the rovers found these or similar molecules with the lighter isotopes, that would be very suggestive of a biological origin, although perhaps still not proof. Additional analysis would still be needed to definitively determine whether the molecules were associated with once-living microbes. Better yet, of course, would be finding actual microfossils of ancient microbes.

Until then, we have tantalizing clues and hints at possible former life, but more research is needed. A biological explanation does seem at least plausible when other factors are taken into account, including now well-established evidence that conditions on Mars were once much more habitable on the surface then they are now. In Gale crater, the Curiosity rover has found that there used to be lakes and streams; it even found riverbed gravel left over from an ancient stream that used to empty into the crater lake.

The rover also found a variety of organic compounds in rocks, not just the thiophenes, and confirmed that both methane and oxygen increase and decrease on a seasonal cycle in that area. This is still not proof of life, but taken all together, these lines of evidence may be starting to paint an intriguing picture. As Schulze-Makuch noted:

As Carl Sagan said ‘extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.’ I think the proof will really require that we actually send people there, and an astronaut looks through a microscope and sees a moving microbe.

Bottom line: The Curiosity rover has found organic molecules called thiophenes, which may be evidence for ancient life on Mars.

Source: Thiophenes on Mars: Biotic or Abiotic Origin?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
All I can say is that the OP is terribly misinformed. Where did he get that "No transitional fossils" claim? I was rolling on the floor from that one alone.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the issue of "no transitional fossils" has no relationship to the question of whether natural abiogenesis is a valid scientific hypothesis in the argument of whether 'Life can come from Non-life.'

As far as the hypothesis for abiogenesis there is an ever increasing amount of research in this field and discoveries on Mars and the moon of Titan actually support the hypothesis of abiogenesis.

As far as what is called "transitional fossils" there are is an immense amount of "transitional fossils" and the discoveries over time are increasing the evidence of "transitional fossils" actually providing very complete evolutionary evidence for many evolutionary lineages such as: evolution of birds horses and whales.