• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life Begins at Conception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis

UBER-Christian
I'm sure there is, but I'm much too lazy to look any up. :p I'm sure someone else will post some for you. ;) Anyways, though, Catholics don't believe that scripture is necessary in this case. Our pope declared it, i believe, under the circumstances when his teachings are considered infallible. So, therefore, that should be enough if an answer, right? Peace!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Not exactly. But in the book of Jeremiah,it's implied, that our purpose in this life may be predetermined before our birth. The Lord told Jeremiah, when he was called to be a prophet...

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Of course life begins at conception. A zygote is life, but so is bacteria. You wouldn't consider killing bacteria murder. Murder is the unjust killing of sentient/sapient life, of which zygotes, embryos, fetuses are not. Just my 0.02 USD

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Is there any biblical basis for the claim that life begins at conception?

I know there is somewhere in the Bible that Jesus acknowledges a child in the womb, and the women didn't know she was pregnant yet. That's enough proof for me.
I'll try to find it and post later.

Dunemeister

Of course life begins at conception. A zygote is life, but so is bacteria. You wouldn't consider killing bacteria murder. Murder is the unjust killing of sentient/sapient life, of which zygotes, embryos, fetuses are not. Just my 0.02 USD

Bacteria doesn't have the 46 chromosomes that make up a human being. The zygote is human. It's alive. It's therefore a living human being. It is that fact, not the tricky matter of defining sentience, that stands behind the view that the zygote has rights over against the mother. There is literally no basis of comparison between a human zygote and a bacterium, so let's just stop it with the red herrings, aaight?

Preacher_LaFleur

C.O.G.I.C.
Life at conception is always a interesting debate. I agree it begins at conception, and even though the scripture doesn't deal with abortion directly, we still need to use common since in reasoning with people who have no faith, since they use family planning as their only method of birth control. This is a shame. It amazes me that when we have a topic that is clearly tackled by scripture, we are disobedient. For example, the topic of homosexuality is clear in scripture, yet we are having gay marriage debates. I am confident if conception was dealt with in scripture, we would still not obey, just like society shunz all the rest of God's decrees.

Smoke

Done here.
I know there is somewhere in the Bible that Jesus acknowledges a child in the womb, and the women didn't know she was pregnant yet. That's enough proof for me.
That should keep you busy for a while.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
free4all said:

I shall be waiting.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Of course life begins at conception.
Actually, I disagree.
Life had to begin before conception.
Because it requires a LIVING sperm to fertilize a LIVING egg.
If either are not living, there is no conception.

A zygote is life, but so is bacteria. You wouldn't consider killing bacteria murder. Murder is the unjust killing of sentient/sapient life, of which zygotes, embryos, fetuses are not. Just my 0.02 USD
Where did you get that definition?
I find nothing in the definition that mentions just/unjust or sentient/sapient.

mur⋅der

–noun
1. Law. the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).

2. Slang. something extremely difficult or perilous: That final exam was murder!

3. a group or flock of crows.
–verb (used with object)
4. Law. to kill by an act constituting murder.

5. to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.

6. to spoil or mar by bad performance, representation, pronunciation, etc.: The tenor murdered the aria.
–verb (used without object)
7. to commit murder.
—Idioms
8. get away with murder, Informal. to engage in a deplorable activity without incurring harm or punishment: The new baby-sitter lets the kids get away with murder.

9. murder will out, a secret will eventually be exposed.

10. yell or scream bloody murder,
a. to scream loudly in pain, fear, etc.
b. to protest loudly and angrily: If I don't get a good raise I'm going to yell bloody murder.
Origin:
1300–50; ME mo(u)rdre, murder, var. (influenced by OF murdre < Gmc) of murthre murther
thinsp.png

murder. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved June 07, 2009, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.classic.reference.com/browse/murder

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Actually, I disagree.
Life had to begin before conception.
Because it requires a LIVING sperm to fertilize a LIVING egg.
If either are not living, there is no conception.
Well, yeah, but what does that change? If you want to extend the "sanctity of life" to sperm cells, then masturbation = holocaust.

Where did you get that definition?
I find nothing in the definition that mentions just/unjust or sentient/sapient.

Perhaps it would help if you pointed out the discrepancy?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Bacteria doesn't have the 46 chromosomes that make up a human being. The zygote is human. It's alive. It's therefore a living human being. It is that fact, not the tricky matter of defining sentience, that stands behind the view that the zygote has rights over against the mother.
You are merely counting the hits and ignoring the misses.

There is literally no basis of comparison between a human zygote and a bacterium,
In your mind perhaps.

so let's just stop it with the red herrings, aaight?
I will if you will.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Well, yeah, but what does that change? If you want to extend the "sanctity of life" to sperm cells, then masturbation = holocaust.
It points out a falsehood concerning conception for starters.
It also shows that the argument that life begins at conception is rather asinine.

as for this alleged "sanctity of life" non-sense:
George Carlin said:
The more you listen to this abortion debate, the more you hear the phrase "sanctity of life"...
...Life is sacred?
who said so?
God?
If you read history you realize that God is one of the leading causes of death.

You know where the sanctity of life came from?
We made it up.
You know why?
Cause we're alive.
self interest
living people have a strong interest in somehow promoting that life is sacred
dead people give less than a crap about the sanctity of life.
only living people care about it.
It is a self serving man made BS story..
it is one of those things we tell ourselves so that we feel noble.

If everything that ever lived is dead and everything that is alive is going to die, where does the sacred part come in?
Perhaps it would help if you pointed out the discrepancy?
I see nowhere the mention of unjust/just or sentient/sapient in the definition of 'murder'.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Bacteria doesn't have the 46 chromosomes that make up a human being. The zygote is human. It's alive. It's therefore a living human being. It is that fact, not the tricky matter of defining sentience, that stands behind the view that the zygote has rights over against the mother. There is literally no basis of comparison between a human zygote and a bacterium, so let's just stop it with the red herrings, aaight?

Why is a human more important than bacteria?

Sure life begins at conception!but then again, so does sin according to teachings of the church. But that's not the issue really is it? The real issue is about sentience is it not? Some people that would denounce abortion as murder, fight for the right to remove a feeding tune from a vegetable... What's wrong with that picture? I'm pro life, all the way around, from abortion, to feeding tubes, to the death penalty... However, I also happen to respect everyone elses opinion and not impede their choice. I will pray and cry, but not stand in their way... Maybe that's just me an my live and let live fault though.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.