• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life after death

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you believe in life after death, whatever that means to you, and those who do not, how do you feel (of all ages) at the moment that you will No Longer exists; no soul and no spirit, no reincarnation, no rebirth, no...?

I do know many will say "I'm not afraid", some will use their age as reasons for not fearing death, others have a real deep seeded believe in the afterlife, others just do not care.

To me, that is taking life for granted. That is saying I know how I will feel at death: terminal illness, slow death, very painful, so have you. We dont get to acceptence until later when we are pass "the surprise", the I didnt know it would be today, there will always be some view of death whether comforted by religion or age.

If you were to die right now at this exact moment, how would you feel about death when you have no soul, no spirit, no reincarnation, no rebirth, no heaven, no...?

Is it something you have Actually thought about for more than five mins without your age and/or faith (or ego?) to console you?

Do you want to think about it?

The more I think about it, the more I believe less of any after life, reincarnation, and rebirth. Right before my aunt passed this year january, she told my mother, her sister: you know religion is all... right?

Ive been saying that for years, mother says.

If there is near death experiences or believe in god right before death, I dont believe it. A week after that convo, she died.

What do you think of death-no soul, no spirit, no rebirth, no reincarnation, no...?

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've thought about it. I've seen enough death to at least be convinced that, as far as the human body itself is concerned, once you're dead, you're dead. There is no life whatsoever inside the dead rotting flesh. Any thoughts of an afterlife would have to rest within the assumption that one has a soul which was previously connected to a physical body and also has a means of exit upon the death of that body (we hope). Where it goes after that seems to be the big mystery.

I suppose the worst nightmare is having one's soul still trapped inside a dead, decomposing body.

But I just figure that it's probably just like falling asleep and never waking up again. No dreams, no awareness, no consciousness. I had no awareness or consciousness before I was born, so death would apparently be a return to that same state of non-existence and non-awareness.

And even if there is a God or an Afterlife, it doesn't automatically mean that it would be just or merciful. The idea that good people go to Heaven and bad people go to Hell seems overly simplistic. Maybe everyone goes to Heaven - or maybe everyone goes to Hell.

Or maybe God is fundamentally evil and sends all the bad people to Heaven and condemns the good people to Hell. That would explain a lot.

syo

What do you think of death-no soul, no spirit, no rebirth, no reincarnation, no...?
when you burn a piece of paper it reincarnates into ashes. the same is with us. when we die we reincarnate into something else. dust for example. we change form.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
when you burn a piece of paper it reincarnates into ashes. the same is with us. when we die we reincarnate into something else. dust for example. we change form.

True. Do you believe that change has meaning?

For example, we cremated my aunt. I have some ashes and my mother the rest. I have a friend was freaked out saying Im wearing a dead person around my neck (as a urn pendent neclace). We do know she died. Shes alive in us not as spirit or soul.

Its interesting to think about.

Reactions: syo

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you believe in life after death, whatever that means to you, and those who do not, how do you feel (of all ages) at the moment that you will No Longer exists; no soul and no spirit, no reincarnation, no rebirth, no...?

I do know many will say "I'm not afraid", some will use their age as reasons for not fearing death, others have a real deep seeded believe in the afterlife, others just do not care.

To me, that is taking life for granted. That is saying I know how I will feel at death: terminal illness, slow death, very painful, so have you. We dont get to acceptence until later when we are pass "the surprise", the I didnt know it would be today, there will always be some view of death whether comforted by religion or age.

If you were to die right now at this exact moment, how would you feel about death when you have no soul, no spirit, no reincarnation, no rebirth, no heaven, no...?

Is it something you have Actually thought about for more than five mins without your age and/or faith (or ego?) to console you?

The more I think about it, the more I believe less of any after life, reincarnation, and rebirth. Right before my aunt passed this year january, she told my mother, her sister: you know religion is all... right?

Ive been saying that for years, mother says.

If there is near death experiences or believe in god right before death, I dont believe it. A week after that convo, she died.

I'm of the opinion things repeat with a life like this one except I dunno what form or place things will happen.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I assume when I'm dead, I won't feel anything. I won't exist. If I do, that'll be a surprise.

I suppose I'm hoping for Hospice care when I go. I'll be too zonked out on drugs to feel much of anything.

Otherwise, I've experienced pain quite a bit of it. Managed to deal with it. I expect any pain I do feel during death, I'll get through that as well.

no soul, no spirit, no rebirth, no reincarnation, no... existence? sounds peaceful.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Although in the story of reincarnation you usually reincarnate up in some sort of cosmological chart.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've thought about it. I've seen enough death to at least be convinced that, as far as the human body itself is concerned, once you're dead, you're dead. There is no life whatsoever inside the dead rotting flesh. Any thoughts of an afterlife would have to rest within the assumption that one has a soul which was previously connected to a physical body and also has a means of exit upon the death of that body (we hope). Where it goes after that seems to be the big mystery.

I suppose the worst nightmare is having one's soul still trapped inside a dead, decomposing body.

But I just figure that it's probably just like falling asleep and never waking up again. No dreams, no awareness, no consciousness. I had no awareness or consciousness before I was born, so death would apparently be a return to that same state of non-existence and non-awareness.

And even if there is a God or an Afterlife, it doesn't automatically mean that it would be just or merciful. The idea that good people go to Heaven and bad people go to Hell seems overly simplistic. Maybe everyone goes to Heaven - or maybe everyone goes to Hell.

Or maybe God is fundamentally evil and sends all the bad people to Heaven and condemns the good people to Hell. That would explain a lot.

True. I likened it to when I had brain surgery. They knock me out. I cant feel or do anything. If thats the mind, and the body decays, why would we think our mind or conscious is still around regardless of how we define it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I assume when I'm dead, I won't feel anything. I won't exist. If I do, that'll be a surprise.

I suppose I'm hoping for Hospice care when I go. I'll be too zonked out on drugs to feel much of anything.

Otherwise, I've experienced pain quite a bit of it. Managed to deal with it. I expect any pain I do feel during death, I'll get through that as well.

no soul, no spirit, no rebirth, no reincarnation, no... existence? sounds peaceful.

It sounds peaceful: my thoughts exactly

Akivah

While I'm not looking forward to my death, I know that I will die eventually. There is no physical proof of our intangible souls. I choose to believe that I have an eternal soul that goes to be with G-d after my body dies. To me, its not a consolation, its just a fact.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
While I'm not looking forward to my death, I know that I will die eventually. There is no physical proof of our intangible souls. I choose to believe that I have an eternal soul that goes to be with G-d after my body dies. To me, its not a consolation, its just a fact.

I'm confused between the two statements. If there is no physical proof of an intangible soul, then what type of eternal soul do you believe lets you be with god? In what manner do you believe in a soul that you personally say there is no physical proof of?

Consolation is anything that makes you comfortable about certain situations; like an angel or god. So, if having an eternal soul helps you understand death, then that fact is alright to have. If not, why have that belief if doesn't console you to feel comfortable with death and god? (aka why do you believe in god if he doesn't console [comfort you; give you knowledge that what you believe is fact for personal growth and love etc] you in your worldview of him, your existence, and death?)

Akivah

I'm confused between the two statements. If there is no physical proof of an intangible soul, then what type of eternal soul do you believe lets you be with god? In what manner do you believe in a soul that you personally say there is no physical proof of?

Consolation is anything that makes you comfortable about certain situations; like an angel or god. So, if having an eternal soul helps you understand death, then that fact is alright to have. If not, why have that belief if doesn't console you to feel comfortable with death and god? (aka why do you believe in god if he doesn't console [comfort you; give you knowledge that what you believe is fact for personal growth and love etc] you in your worldview of him, your existence, and death?)
Now we're equal, I'm confused by your post.
Our souls are intangible, so there isn't any physical proof. It's not physical.

I don't understand your questions trying to link consolation with death. Everything is mortal, except G-d. Our physical existence will all end sometime. What does consolation have to do with death?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Now we're equal, I'm confused by your post.
Our souls are intangible, so there isn't any physical proof. It's not physical.

I don't understand your questions trying to link consolation with death. Everything is mortal, except G-d. Our physical existence will all end sometime. What does consolation have to do with death?

Haha. I guess we are.

How does your soul go to be with god when it is not tangible? What is your soul made up of to exist to be one with god?

Some people find comfort in their faith, morals, or so have you when thinking and relating to death. For example, many people who believe in god are comforted by god (and god consoles them in their comfort) to where they feel his presence and say he loves them and so forth. I don't know how other abrahamics express it. Christians usually say god loves them, he takes care of them, and basically, listens to them in their ups and downs. That's what I mean by console.

God comforts or consoles his believers in their low times. I don't think you are christian, right? How would you express it?

Akivah

How does your soul go to be with god when it is not tangible?
I don't know.

What is your soul made up of to exist to be one with god?
Souls are intangible, they aren't made of anything. They are a divine spark.

G-d is also not made of anything. G-d existed before there was anything.

Some people find comfort in their faith, morals, or so have you when thinking and relating to death. For example, many people who believe in god are comforted by god (and god consoles them in their comfort) to where they feel his presence and say he loves them and so forth.....God comforts or consoles his believers in their low times....How would you express it?
I have satisfaction in my beliefs. If I need strength, I pray to G-d for strength and get it. I talk to G-d and thank G-d for my many blessings. I express daily gratitude to G-d. People can get whatever strength or spirituality that they want/need from G-d.

Christians usually say god loves them, he takes care of them, and basically, listens to them in their ups and downs. That's what I mean by console.
Christians like to say that their god loves them, but we don't say that in Judaism. Our G-d doesn't have human emotions, like love. We receive G-d's bounty, but we don't use human emotions to describe the reasons for G-d's actions. We focus on our feelings about G-d, because we can relate to and understand our own human feelings and emotions.

I don't think you are christian, right?

Nope, I'm Jewish.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I am curious Akivah.....what is the "soul" to a modern day Jew? Where do you get your belief about it from Jewish scripture?

In every mention of the soul in the Tanach, it refers to a living, breathing creature. Nowhere is the soul mentioned as a separate, disembodied entity.

In Ezekiel 18:4 it says..."Behold, all souls are Mine. Like the soul of the father, like the soul of the son they are Mine; the soul that sins, it shall die."
Yechezkel - Ezekiel - Chapter 18

That being the case, it is the soul that dies, not just the body.

In Ecclesiastes 9:5;10 Solomon wrote..."For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for their remembrance is forgotten......Whatever your hand attains to do [as long as you are] with your strength, do; for there is neither deed nor reckoning, neither knowledge nor wisdom in the grave, where you are going."
Kohelet - Ecclesiastes - Chapter 9

We are all going into the common grave of mankind (sheol; hades) but there is no consciousness or activity in death because the "dead know nothing".

How do you correlate your views with the Hebrew scriptures? The original Jews who read the Tanach had no belief in an "eternal" or "immortal" soul. Whilst there is breath in us we are a soul. When breathing stops we cease to know anything. We have no superiority over the animals in this regard as Solomon also noted....
"For there is a happening for the children of men, and there is a happening for the beasts-and they have one happening-like the death of this one is the death of that one, and all have one spirit, and the superiority of man over beast is nought, for all is vanity.

20 All go to one place; all came from the dust, and all return to the dust." (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)
Kohelet - Ecclesiastes - Chapter 3

There is no concept of life after death (that is, a continuation of life after the death of the body) in the Hebrew scriptures that I know of. Jews were taught about resurrection....i.e. a full restoration to life on earth under the rulership of Messiah's kingdom. Do you still believe that?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

Let me turn the question back on you. Can you imagine how creepy the idea of none of that is? Now, let's look at all of these religions, what do they all have in common? If you said, nothing, you'd be wrong.

I actually have thought about this for longer than five minutes, as my religion is my own. And I've come to the conclusion the following:
  • Christianity has a dualistic afterlife (Heaven/Hell). Supposedly. Only, it doesn't because reading between the lines reveals the idea of Hell isn't true. Read Romans 8:31-39.
  • Taoism doesn't in fact make any statement about an afterlife. They accept death as part of life, and some sects appear to have immortality as a goal.
  • Shintoism living beings become ancestors. And spirits are everyone and in everything.
  • Hinduism has reincarnation.
  • Buddhism has rebirth. This is distinct from reincarnation, in that you lose yourself.
You'd think these have nothing in common, right? Well, as I say, nope.

Let's put these together. The Afterlife is a subjective reality. That is, each religion essentially decides what the Afterlife looks like for its followers. Not only that. Followers that have strong emotions will effectively color their reality. It's like a glass of water. Suppose, for a second, I were to stir salt into it, it would become salt water. Sugar, it becomes sugar water. Reality is what we make of it, in the Afterlife. If we want to come back to life, we reincarnate. If we want some sort of realm to go to, we go there. And if we allow our reality to be colored by fear or anger or sadness, suddenly our paradise becomes distorted.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Let me turn the question back on you. Can you imagine how creepy the idea of none of that is? Now, let's look at all of these religions, what do they all have in common? If you said, nothing, you'd be wrong.

I actually have thought about this for longer than five minutes, as my religion is my own. And I've come to the conclusion the following:
  • Christianity has a dualistic afterlife (Heaven/Hell). Supposedly. Only, it doesn't because reading between the lines reveals the idea of Hell isn't true. Read Romans 8:31-39.
  • Taoism doesn't in fact make any statement about an afterlife. They accept death as part of life, and some sects appear to have immortality as a goal.
  • Shintoism living beings become ancestors. And spirits are everyone and in everything.
  • Hinduism has reincarnation.
  • Buddhism has rebirth. This is distinct from reincarnation, in that you lose yourself.
You'd think these have nothing in common, right? Well, as I say, nope.

Let's put these together. The Afterlife is a subjective reality. That is, each religion essentially decides what the Afterlife looks like for its followers. Not only that. Followers that have strong emotions will effectively color their reality. It's like a glass of water. Suppose, for a second, I were to stir salt into it, it would become salt water. Sugar, it becomes sugar water. Reality is what we make of it, in the Afterlife. If we want to come back to life, we reincarnate. If we want some sort of realm to go to, we go there. And if we allow our reality to be colored by fear or anger or sadness, suddenly our paradise becomes distorted.

Is this how you define the afterlife for yourself? A compilation of many interpretations of an afterlife you feel have one thing in common?

To me, not all religions afterlife views share anything with each other. Its human attempt to find simularity where there is none but beauty in one hundred percent diversity.

I believe in rebirth. Since we (not soul) go through many lifetimes, our objective is to, actually, die. Have no more rebirths. We do this by not attaching to this life at all. Freedom. I dont know the logistics in it. Since we have no soul, I do see ourselves going lights out. I hear a lot of stories of children telling their passed lives. We hope for no rebirth unlike reincarnation where one is reborn closer in god.