• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lies

Humanistheart

There was a reference I've seen made on this site a few times. It indicated one man's assertion that, to paraphrase, to with-hold certian information from other's that would otherwise lead them to a more accurate conclusion is, in essence lieing.I believe this was stated by a member of the lds church. I like that phrase; I find truth in it and would enjoy having the proper source.

My questions are was this in fact something said by a mormon, if so who, and does anyone have the exact quote?

Thank's in advance.

DavyCrocket2003

I agree. Being honest is about the message that a person gets, not the exact words you say. If you convey a false message without actually saying anything untrue, you're still being dishonest. I'll see if I can dig something up.

DavyCrocket2003

Here's something I found. It's the opening section of a conference talk from 1982 by Elder Marvin J. Ashton. The second paragraph is pretty pertinent. I have a feeling there must be something more recent or notable than this though. Here's the talk.

Marvin J. Ashton said:
Not often do students remember for 24 hours very many words taught by their teachers. Yet 50 years later some former students recall with lasting appreciation the words one teacher had her class repeat at the beginning of each day. Every school morning this rather unpretentious, plain, wise lady implanted the meaning of honesty into our minds by having us recite “A lie is any communication given to another with the intent to deceive.”
When I compare this definition with that found in the dictionary, which states, “A lie is an untrue statement made with the intent of deceiving,” I greatly appreciate her definition. A lie can be effectively communicated without words ever being spoken. Sometimes a nod of the head or silence can deceive. Recommending a questionable business investment, making a false entry in a ledger, devious use of flattery, or failure to divulge all pertinent facts are a few other ways to communicate the lie.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Here's something I found. It's the opening section of a conference talk from 1982 by Elder Marvin J. Ashton. The second paragraph is pretty pertinent. I have a feeling there must be something more recent or notable than this though. Here's the talk.
I took a shot at finding the quote HumanistHeart was thinking about and came up with that same talk. I just wasn't convinced that that's the one he had in mind. I actually found two or three similar talks and I know I've heard that point made on a number of occasions. I just couldn't zero in on the quote I was looking for.

DavyCrocket2003

I took a shot at finding the quote HumanistHeart was thinking about and came up with that same talk. I just wasn't convinced that that's the one he had in mind. I actually found two or three similar talks and I know I've heard that point made on a number of occasions. I just couldn't zero in on the quote I was looking for.

Yeah, same.

Humanistheart

This isn't exactly what I'd imagined but the last line is essentially what I was looking for. Special thanks to Davy and Katz for your help. :)

DavyCrocket2003

In my opinion, you don't really need a reference. The idea stands to reason that lying is about communicating an untruth, not what technical truths/untruths you speak.

Humanistheart

In my opinion, you don't really need a reference. The idea stands to reason that lying is about communicating an untruth, not what technical truths/untruths you speak.

You're right of course, but somehow the idea of having a reference feels like it gives the statement more weight.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Several posts in this thread have been deleted. Please bear in mind that this is the LDS DIR. If you are not a member of the LDS, please post in accordance with rule 10.