• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Library Idiocy

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
I'm upset at any library being closed. **** I still cry about the library of Alexandria.

But who is the snowflake enough to ***** to the point of getting books cancelled, because I'm not being forced to read them..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yeah, we had, no joke, at least 2-3 copies of one of Ben Carson's books donated to the library a few weeks ago (and a few other books of his in that group, I believe) and I'm not going to quit because I have to sort and place them in appropriate areas for our ongoing Friends of the Library book sale. If anything, it's interesting that people are realizing they don't want books by a wannabe politician and are hoping someone might also realize that and not have to pay $15 for the book

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Says the ones so upset about this. :handok:
More disappointed than upset in the way the regressive right seems to be in the very existence of books that generally aren't advertised by the library and aren't being forced upon people. Unless you think a poster is a threat to engage with a product or else?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yeah, we had, no joke, at least 2-3 copies of one of Ben Carson's books donated to the library a few weeks ago (and a few other books of his in that group, I believe) and I'm not going to quit because I have to sort and place them in appropriate areas for our ongoing Friends of the Library book sale. If anything, it's interesting that people are realizing they don't want books by a wannabe politician and are hoping someone might also realize that and not have to pay $15 for the book

Yup my little local library has all sorts of books I vehemently disagree with. But they aren't a threat to me... So why would I bother? It's knowledge, for someone else. Pure and simple.

I would be pissed if my local library closed for that reason. I would try to purchase as much of their book stock of unwanted books, and then put them up in a free lending library on my lawn.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
So you think sexuality shouldn't be something that we discuss at all or just when it makes you or others comfortable?
The only problem I have with discussing sexuality is when some people talk about it without self-respect.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The only problem I have with discussing sexuality is when some people talk about it without self-respect.

Self respect is purely a subjective perspective.

You can't dictate how I treat or talk about myself. What you consider a lack of self respect, is just fine for others.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What does that look like, just out of curiosity?
Because I can agree that some discussions on sexuality can be done rather horribly.

Off topic, but I love your avatar! I’m a big fan of the Underworld series :D

Clara Tea

US library defunded after refusing to censor LGBTQ authors: ‘We will not ban the books’

Entire library in a small town in MI has been defunded over an LGBTQ book, that was aimed at adults.

Legitimately in a Culture War at this point, and it's pathetic.

Voters defund West Michigan library amid campaign against LGBTQ materials

August 5, 2022 article, Jamestown Township voters (62.5% to 37.5%) defunded their library (84% of $245k budget) over a LGBTQ book.

They also reduced funding for their fire department (pro fire?) and roads (like chuck holes?).

In a society pushing for penis chopping six year olds (before their hormones kick in they like to don mommy's dresses) and give gender warping cocktails of hormones and steroids to under aged kids, we promote Gay books.

Currently, some cities allow men who identify as women to use women's restrooms and play in women's sports. Picture Arnold Schwarzenegger or Lou Ferrigno (both steroid users) competing in women's olympics. Recently, there was a little girl raped by a cross dressing man who gained access to her restroom because he identified as female.

Trump tossed all Gays out of the military, claiming that soldiers have a difficult job to do and it is hard enough without all of these other distractions (Gays watching men shower, separate restrooms, etc).

Freedom of press, free speech, free public libraries, right to choose gender, and other issues hinge on current decisions. Our goal is not to discriminate or make people feel bad, while being fair to the rest of society.

When we hear that a Gay was abused, we rush to his defense (posthumusly in the case of cute blond Gay, Matthew Shepard,--hence the Matthew Shepard law to protect Gays), without analyzing it further to determine if it was truly a hate crime against Gays, or something else. Shepard was a drug dealer, and the deal went sour. . . his brutal beating and torture might have had nothing to do with his gender identity. The stark dry field, with rustic fence, smacked of cruxifiction. . . making Shepard a Christ figure.

Was the defunding of the library entirely due to having one Gay book, or was it concern over the budget and fear that they might tempt boys to make bad gender decisions? Was there a power struggle between library officials and county allocation agencies?

Clara Tea

It is if you're gay

How would the Religious Right like it if a small community (lets say Alpine County, California) was taken over by Gays (which it was), and they voted to prevent Straights from having sex (no marriage, so no right of inheritance, no custody of kids, etc). What if they kicked them out of their jobs, banned them from getting future employment, and any hint of heterosexuality would bar them from government military contractor jobs (for fear that someone might out them as straights, and blackmail them into revealing government secrets)?

My method of determining fairness is to reverse the roles (make Black White....make Gay Straight).

Should we allow one religion to dominate over all other religions? I thought that the Separation of Church and State prevented that? Can't we make a country that allows everyone to practice the religion that they choose without the fear that someone will harm them? Look at England, under King Henry VIII and his heirs. England had bloody conflagrations over which denomination of Christianity is right.

Did Christ really want wars fought in His name?

Could President W. Bush's illegal spying on American's phones (without warrants) reveal who is Gay and who is not? Google Eric Snowden for more info about wiretapping phones.

Does the Religious Right want to dictate how we have sex in the privacy of our own homes? How about breaking into hotels to spy on temporary guests (has the same protection as a home, except maids do have a right to clean, but maids are barred from revealing narcotics or Gay issues).

I say that it is high time for the government to get out of the private lives of upright citizens (even the government has to obey the law).

Ella S.

*temp banned*
How would the Religious Right like it if a small community (lets say Alpine County, California) was taken over by Gays (which it was), and they voted to prevent Straights from having sex (no marriage, so no right of inheritance, no custody of kids, etc). What if they kicked them out of their jobs, banned them from getting future employment, and any hint of heterosexuality would bar them from government military contractor jobs (for fear that someone might out them as straights, and blackmail them into revealing government secrets)?

I don't think the law should prevent anyone from having consensual sex and legally recognized marriages, or feel persecuted due to their sexual orientation.

Should we allow one religion to dominate over all other religions?

I'd prefer we didn't.

I thought that the Separation of Church and State prevented that?

Unfortunately not, given that a bunch of Christians have just forced their religion on a public library by demanding that they censor books they view as contradicting their religious teachings.

Can't we make a country that allows everyone to practice the religion that they choose without the fear that someone will harm them?

It depends on what they're doing to practice their religion. If it's threatening the health of trans people and socially ostracizing gay people, then, no. Your right to swing your fist ends at my face.

Look at England, under King Henry VIII and his heirs. England had bloody conflagrations over which denomination of Christianity is right.

Did Christ really want wars fought in His name?

I don't believe in a Christ and I don't care what Jesus's opinions on the matter are, because I'm not Christian.

Clara Tea

Why would anyone be faced with sexual content in a public library?

Why would a the first word from a new Gay acquaintance be "I'm Gay?" Straights don't do that.

Explicitly sexual content (Playboy, Penthouse, and to a lesser extent, National Geographics) should not corrupt minors in a public library, especially without parental consent. Libraries are supposed to be safe environments, where everyone can learn.

Society is currently struggling with the need to inform (drugs, sexual conduct), need to protect (condoms), without condoning or suggesting early sexual conduct. Condoms, some say, promote sexual intercourse, so many want to keep them out of the hands of teens. Yet, condoms prevent STDs like AIDS, and unwanted pregnancies. I don't think that there is evidence that the availability of condoms increases sexual activity.

Sexual activity has existed for millions of years, and it will continue to exist. Laws likely won't stop or slow it. Laws might give sex a "bad boy" aura. . . promoting intercourse.

Some oppose sex education, claiming that parents should teach and limit sexual information. Yet, schools can issue warnings that early withdrawal from sex doesn't prevent pregnancy (prostate produces a drip of sperm before ejaculation). Many teens got pregnant because they didn't know that. Many teens got permanent injury and even death because they didn't realize the symptoms of STDs. This is why public sex education is necessary. It isn't about showing graphic pictures of sex, it is about educating for protection.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Self respect is purely a subjective perspective.

You can't dictate how I treat or talk about myself. What you consider a lack of self respect, is just fine for others.
I can't dictate what somebody is saying of course but what I can do is stay away from such people. :)
Btw. what people tell in front of you will also reveal about you to others, keep that in mind.

What does that look like, just out of curiosity?
Because I can agree that some discussions on sexuality can be done rather horribly.
I specifically don't like when people talk about their sex adventures in detail, because this implies I'm supposed to share the details of my adventures as well which I really do not like.
I also do not like when somebody pokes me and says something like "hey look at this chick", it's just not appropriate for me to behave like that in public.

Off topic, but I love your avatar! I’m a big fan of the Underworld series :D
Thanks, yeah underworld is my favorite vampire movie and Viktor is awesome character, I'm sad when he gets killed :(

Clara Tea

I don't think the law should prevent anyone from having consensual sex and legally recognized marriages, or feel persecuted due to their sexual orientation.

I'd prefer we didn't.

Unfortunately not, given that a bunch of Christians have just forced their religion on a public library by demanding that they censor books they view as contradicting their religious teachings.

It depends on what they're doing to practice their religion. If it's threatening the health of trans people and socially ostracizing gay people, then, no. Your right to swing your fist ends at my face.

I don't believe in a Christ and I don't care what Jesus's opinions on the matter are, because I'm not Christian.

I concur.

The list of banned (or attempted to be banned) books is growing. It includes the famous Harry Potter series, banned for depicting witches in a good light. It includes Catcher in the Rye (sexual). Reverend Savonarolla, hundreds of years ago, had a Bonfire of the Vanities, burning books and art, with the idea that they were trivial enjoyment, so the tools of the devil.

Personally, I think that the devil is more like the guy who made witch trials in which an innocent person would drown and a witch would not drown (which means that they have to kill the witch by burning to death). Reverends have more devil in them than the supposed foes that they fight.

I've often contended that one cannot fight evil without becoming somewhat evil. The recent war in Iraq killed perhaps a million Iraqis (never mentioned in the press so we would not discourage the war), and it engendered a Geneva Convention breaking torture camp (many camps, actually).

Though the New Testament (Christian) bible (in all of its denominations and versions) opposes Gays, it is not up to humans to judge. In His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said "Judge not lest ye be judged." The bible says that only God is the judge.

Heaven is not made for self-appointed vigilante theists who deprive Gays of rights. Heaven is supposed to be a place of goodness, happiness, and justice. How can it be that, if we allow riff raff into heaven?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Why would a the first word from a new Gay acquaintance be "I'm Gay?" Straights don't do that.
Indeed good point!
Regarding gays, I can accept that they wish to stay gay and live such life, but why are they all shaking to show everyone they are gay?
ex. you are gay, OK, keep it for yourself.

I suppose one will say "I'm gay" to test whether you're also gay, I see no other rational reason to proclaim you're gay.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I can't dictate what somebody is saying of course but what I can do is stay away from such people. :)
Btw. what people tell in front of you will also reveal about you to others, keep that in mind.

Well yeah... Which is why that sort of discussion is reserved for close friends. And not for bragging with acquaintances or coworkers. Imo. So it's not really "public" discourse.

And I would never consider a book discussing sex/sexuality as "public" either, even in a library. Otherwise there is a litany of classic works, they'd have to get rid of. Or anything by Nora Roberts... Or other "romance" authors that also depicted sex scenes.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Indeed good point!
Regarding gays, I can accept that they wish to stay gay and live such life, but why are they all shaking to show everyone they are gay?
ex. you are gay, OK, keep it for yourself.

I suppose one will say "I'm gay" to test whether you're also gay, I see no other rational reason to proclaim you're gay.

I'm sorry. Did you say "wish" to "stay" Gay? (Never mind the rest of that sentence).

Wanna clarify that?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I specifically don't like when people talk about their sex adventures in detail, because this implies I'm supposed to share the details of my adventures as well which I really do not like.
I also do not like when somebody pokes me and says something like "hey look at this chick", it's just not appropriate for me to behave like that in public.

Okay that’s fair enough.
I know some very very open people and even though I’m a “filthy degenerate leftist” that makes me uncomfortable too. TMI!
Discussing sexuality, imo, should be done with a more clinical approach. Relying on science and taking a non nonsense approach. Just clear factual information.
Though I won’t dictate to others how they should conduct themselves, to me “sexual adventures” are a private matter and should be discussed with one’s partner/s only. Maybe a doctor/medical expert if the need arises.
That’s just my opinion though.

Thanks, yeah underworld is my favorite vampire movie and Viktor is awesome character, I'm sad when he gets killed :(
Omg same! I love Underworld and Viktor.
I even liked Rise of the Lycans (mainly because we got more Viktor!! Yay!!)
Imo it’s a very underrated franchise.
Though I’ll admit the franchise has some flaws lol

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
I'm sorry. Did you say "wish" to "stay" Gay? (Never mind the rest of that sentence).

Wanna clarify that?
Wait, is there such a gay which would change his mind on sexual orientation?

Omg same! I love Underworld and Viktor.
I even liked Rise of the Lycans (mainly because we got more Viktor!! Yay!!)
Imo it’s a very underrated franchise.
Though I’ll admit the franchise has some flaws lol
The only flaw that bothers me is, that the story goes backwards, and of course Viktor dies too soon.
what flaws you?
Resident evil is also good movie btw, did you watch it?