• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberty

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That's true... But what kind of person actually goes out of their way to pass a law and make it illegal..? I bet it wasn't a right-winger, because right wingers in America value freedoms and less government control... It's the *left* heading deeper into authoritarianism... Day after day... One step at a time...

I bet the law was made so long ago, the current ideas of 'left' and 'right' didn't apply.

Heyo

Veteran Member
That's true... But what kind of person actually goes out of their way to pass a law and make it illegal..? I bet it wasn't a right-winger, because right wingers in America value freedoms and less government control... It's the *left* heading deeper into authoritarianism... Day after day... One step at a time...
Take a look at the chart in my post #18.

And then let's talk about liberty, what it means to you and who is for or against it. I've had discussions with libertarians (right-wing but liberal) and agreed in many points. I am very hard left on the political compass and can agree with people who are just as right as I am left.
You haven't spoken about liberty yet except about some superficial things like spitting.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Perhaps because of what they see here and elsewhere? Sometimes I think it better to look within.
It has happened all over Europe, it is starting to happen in the US. The church is out of touch with advancements in people's morals.
The church's stance on issues such as abortion, homosexuals, etc. does not reflect the beliefs of the younger people.
The church either needs to change or in a generation or two it'll die.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Take a look at the chart in my post #18.

And then let's talk about liberty, what it means to you and who is for or against it. I've had discussions with libertarians (right-wing but liberal) and agreed in many points. I am very hard left on the political compass and can agree with people who are just as right as I am left.
You haven't spoken about liberty yet except about some superficial things like spitting.

I'm hard left myself, and just as hard libertarian. What do you consider liberty?

Cooky

Veteran Member
It has happened all over Europe, it is starting to happen in the US. The church is out of touch with advancements in people's morals.
The church's stance on issues such as abortion, homosexuals, etc. does not reflect the beliefs of the younger people.
The church either needs to change or in a generation or two it'll die.

speaking of advancing morals, Social Justice can become a vehicle for authoritarianism as well when the initiative becomes forcing people to think or behave a certain way.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, I do think it is acceptable that government bans the sale of gratuitously violent video games. But then I don't enjoy gratuitous violence and, like the German government, I think people who do may sometimes become more violent themselves as a result of their habit. Nor do I think it unreasonable for Germany to outlaw swastikas, given their history.

As for "serving me", you made the claim, so it is for you to support it. Which evidently you can't. One might conclude that the claim is most likely false.
There is no evidence that violent video games cause people to become violent. I've been playing them since I was a kid. It's no more violent than an R-rated movie. Violent video games are popular worldwide. Most of the games I play are horror games and shooters. Just because violent, gory games aren't your taste doesn't mean that others shouldn't get to enjoy them.

As for sunwheels, they're one of humanity's oldest religious symbols and found throughout the world. I see no reason why we should let the Nazis have them. We don't let the KKK have the cross. Ban Nazism if you want, but it's crossing a line to outright ban a religious symbol. The laws are too broad and strict. They even charged anti-Nazis for using graphics with crossed out swastikas. That was ridiculous.

Might as well ban runes, too. Some idiots still accuse people of being Nazis for showing certain runes, like when the Norwegian Olympic ski team had a sweater with the tiwaz rune on it a few years ago. Those poor people were subjected to totally stupid and offensive smears like this crap: https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...weater-has-symbol-used-by-neo-nazi-group/amp/

Where do we draw the line? When it comes to neo-Nazis and banning their symbols, it's a waste of time because they just switch to using different ones that may be somewhat more subtle. Ban swastikas? They just switched to runes, Celtic crosses, black sun symbols and kolovrats (an image of the latter is what got me banned from Facebook and it's a relatively obscure Slavic sunwheel variant that you probably wouldn't even know what it is if you saw it). Then we end up associating those things with them too, although they don't necessarily have anything to do with Nazism. Then we just let them have more and more symbols. Might as well give them the Thor's Hammer too as they use that, as well. At that point, Germanic Heathenry will have no symbols left!

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Authoritarians love to dictate what is or isn't acceptable entertainment for someone else. It doesn't surprise me that the Authoritarian-Left would try to ban video games.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Would you consider it authoritarian for public urination or defecation to be illegal?

Yes, if it's an emergency, by all means, people should be free to do what they have to do. It's not like people go out of their way to do it, it's mostly because there isn't an accessible bathroom... I think people prefer using bathrooms in general.

Cooky

Veteran Member
On that note, what made the human body "indecent" and how is making nudity illegal not a form of authoritarianism? What damage do bare breasts do to society?

It is a form of authoritarianism. I was just explaining how spitting and defecating aren't *exactly* the same earlier... Theoretically... By current standards.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yes, if it's an emergency, by all means, people should be free to do what they have to do. It's not like people go out of their way to do it, it's mostly because there isn't an accessible bathroom... I think people prefer using bathrooms in general.
What about public health and sanitation concerns? It poses serious risks in parts of the world where it's prevalant.

Altfish

Veteran Member
speaking of advancing morals, Social Justice can become a vehicle for authoritarianism as well when the initiative becomes forcing people to think or behave a certain way.
No, you don't have to think anyway at all. But if you are a club, you may lose members - or you have to divide and form your own reformed club.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
God is a Libertarian. He gave us the free will to follow or not to follow. He watched Adam and Eve sin in the garden, and he did absolutely nothing to stop them. Jesus Christ watched Judas betray him. Then he let people nail him to a cross and kill him...
It would only truly be libertarianism if there were no planned repercussions, especially not excessively disproportionate ones.
In the bible god orders people put to death for eating pork or shellfish, wearing mixed fabrics, rotating crops, talking to menstrating women, working on the sabbath, etc.

Cooky

Veteran Member
What about public health and sanitation concerns? It poses serious risks in parts of the world where it's prevalant.

I don't think people want to make a habit out of it. I have faith in the human intellect, and that we don't need constant guidance by a government threatening with punishments.

...We should have more trust in humanity, IMO. If we build more public restrooms, with sinks and soap, people will use them without a need for government forced intimidation to do so.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It would only truly be libertarianism if there were no planned repercussions, especially not excessively disproportionate ones.
In the bible god orders people put to death for eating pork or shellfish, wearing mixed fabrics, rotating crops, talking to menstrating women, working on the sabbath, etc.

I don't believe in any of that crap. The bible is overrated, IMO.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't believe in any of that crap. The bible is overrated, IMO.
Nor should you, but it demonstrates why presenting the god of the bible as a libertarian is silly. He was undoubtedly a tyrant (the bible condoned slavery, as one of countless examples.)
Perhaps Satan's rebellion has a lot in common with the colonies' rebellion against the English crown? :D

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
Nor should you, but it demonstrates why presenting the god of the bible as a libertarian is silly. He was undoubtedly a tyrant

I'm just trying to forge my own way in this mystery we call existence. My lifetime of experiences are all I have to work with.