• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberty

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It seems like in former years liberals valued freedom and liberty more than at present. When I was younger the more liberal-minded people were considered anti- establishment. I’m starting to notice that now a dramatic change; it’s those on the left that are very establishment leaning and appear to be all to ready to give up liberty.

What are your thoughts?

Ron Paul Liberty Report
I use the regulatory environment as a litmus test as to weither one is actually and truly free or not or just one thinks they are.

All I know that since the 60s, we as a nation have lost a lot of individual economic and personal freedoms since those days, amid those old enough to notice it. Younger folks born later probably don't even realize the extent of loss of liberty and freedom up to now. It dosent have the same type of impact so it might look like a lot of us older folks are rambling on about nothing.

Cooky

Veteran Member
And why is the exposure indecent in the first place and require punishment by the law? Why is that not authoritarian? What principle did you use to judge indecent exposure laws as liberal and those against spitting on sidewalks to be authoritarian?

your argument is flawed, because I never said I was for any particular law. It's you who seems to want more laws, on top of what there already is, and you deflect from this by creating a false argument about something else.

epronovost

your argument is flawed, because I never said I was for any particular law.

You seem to tolerate and even support laws against indecent exposure. Are you in favor of such laws? Is such law authoritarian and what's your reasonning?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The vast majority of civil rights battles were fought against the authoritarian right, which held the majority of power for hundreds of years. They see lessening of that power as persecution, even though it's increasing the liberties of those they persecuted.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So RF is more authoritarian than Germany because I only see stars.
It is less about how much is censored, but what is censored. I guess I could say some things on RF that would bring me in hot water in Germany.
I once saw a documentary about censorship in films in the US and Europe. In Starship Troopers the scene of a bug eating a cow was censored in Europe, in the US it was the shower scene.

Cooky

Veteran Member
You seem to tolerate and even support laws against indecent exposure. Are you in favor of such laws? Is such law authoritarian and what's your reasonning?

No, actually I love to be naked in public. I just don't like the thought of children seeing me naked.

Cooky

Veteran Member
My point is that it is no more or less authoritarian than a law against urinating in public, which many countries have, including, I suspect, yours.

That is correct. So do you support more laws like this or less? Do you want to add authoritarianism or decrease it?

exchemist

Veteran Member
That is correct. So do you support more laws like this or less? Do you want to add authoritarianism or decrease it?
My support for any proposed law depends - rather obviously - on the subject matter of the law in question.

You seem to be trying to argue that passing any new law is "authoritarian", which is ridiculous. There was a post earlier today, which you refused to read, which explains why that is a wrong use of that label.

Cooky

Veteran Member
My support for any proposed law depends - rather obviously - on the subject matter of the law in question.

You seem to be trying to argue that passing any new law is "authoritarian", which is ridiculous. There was a post earlier today, which you refused to read, which explains why that is a wrong use of that label.

But you should always ask yourself if you are imposing on others needlessly. There are even predominantly left-wing authoritarian cities in America that ban smoking in public altogether... Please explain why I can't smoke on a sidewalk when there's nobody around?

...It's authoritarian. left-wing authoritarianism.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Now even the left-wing democrats have banned menthol cigarettes in California because they say it's racist.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a big difference between pulling your genetals out and defecating on the sidewalk, and spitting. Most people don't want to swallow their flem, and there is no smell.

...But yes, if I can't hold it, I will defecate behind a bush.

Most people will probably overlook the guy ducking behind the bush(provided its not on someone's front lawn or something), even though its technically against the law. Nature calls, and keeps calling back until you answer. That being said, if you found you really needed to spit, you could probably duck behind a bush and do the same thing with little consequence...

Cooky

Veteran Member
Most people will probably overlook the guy ducking behind the bush(provided its not on someone's front lawn or something), even though its technically against the law. Nature calls, and keeps calling back until you answer. That being said, if you found you really needed to spit, you could probably duck behind a bush and do the same thing with little consequence...

That's true... But what kind of person actually goes out of their way to pass a law and make it illegal..? I bet it wasn't a right-winger, because right wingers in America value freedoms and less government control... It's the *left* heading deeper into authoritarianism... Day after day... One step at a time...

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Perhaps the church needs to look at itself and ask, "Why are we losing the young people?"

Perhaps because of what they see here and elsewhere? Sometimes I think it better to look within.