• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberty, fraternity and equality are cornerstones of Hinduism

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Very pretty! And I would have guessed Greek or Italian... who have a lot of Near Eastern and Asian genetics anyway. I’m largely Sicilian (about 90%) yet I don’t have stereotypical Mediterranean features. And! I share a small amount of DNA with someone in Bangladesh. No idea who or how, except possibly a European or Western Asian who migrated there. This isn’t to start that discussion again, just to point out how stereotypical images of people can be so off the mark.

ajay0

Now, in the Manu-samhita it is clearly stated that a woman should not be given freedom. That does not mean that women are to be kept as slaves, but they are like children. The demons have now neglected such injunctions, and they think that women should be given as much freedom as men.

This is a prime example of obsolete smritis or man-made customs that I was talking about.

Such obsolete smritis such as manusmriti practiced without requisite updation with time, resulted in illiterate and dependent women, financially weak due to lack of earnings or inheritance, and subject to the violence and indignities of abusive husbands.

Sati is an another example of a man-made custom which has no basis in the Vedas. Raja Rammohan Roy of the Brahmo Samaj was instrumental in banning the murderous practice with British administrative support in India.

However many men, including Bal Gangadhar Tilak, protested against the ban. The practice of sati meant that widows were burnt alive on their husband's pyre.

Those who protested loudly against the ban should have been challenged to place their palms touching the fire end of a candle for a minute or two. None of these superficial men would even do so for five seconds in a row due to the pain, and would also complain vociferously of the inhumane pain caused to them during the said fire trial.

And if suppose the smriti was reversed to the case where men was supposed to be burnt alive instead, on the pyre of their dead wives, they would burn the smriti itself on the spot or run away for their dear lives.