• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberals...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Why do you support the democratic party this election? I mean come on. Universal healthcare? Ok, taxes will be raised 60% for us to cover this and the level of care we get will diminish greatly. The war in Iraq? Ok, the troops are coming home in 1 year anyway. Illegal immigration? Ok, are you willing to support welfare for these people with your own social security? Seriously, why?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Democrats are liberal? :confused:

I generally consider them to be moderate conservatives. I think they only look left-wing when the Republican party is your sole point of comparison.

Dunemeister

I live in Canada. We have universal health care and a fairly impressive social safety net and a fairly generous immigration policy. The sky hasn't fallen. Yes, we pay more taxes than Americans, but overall, our standard of living is slightly higher than that of Americans. There are great benefits when a nation takes it as national policy that we're going to look after each other.

Besides, the money the US government has spent on Iraq would more than pay for universal health care and the welfare of all foreign nationals living in the USA right now. (However, we should be careful to note that these foreign nationals are generally not unemployed. They're employed doing jobs Americans are too proud to do.)

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The Democratic party is at a cross roads. Their future as a viable party is greatly at risk. No matter who they choose as a nominee will have a negative effect upon them.

28% of Hillary supporters say they will vote for McCain if she is not the nominee.

19% of Obama supporters say they will vote for McCain if he is not the nominee.

No matter who is chosen, about 10% of the Democrats are going to vote Republican this year.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No matter who is chosen, about 10% of the Democrats are going to vote Republican this year.
But will that be balanced out by all the Republicans who claimed that they'd vote for the Democrats before McCain? :D

I have a feeling that once nomination fever settles down, people will have some sober second thought and decide to vote for the candidate whose positions and policies best reflect their own views. In most cases, this will probably mean voting for their own party's candidate, even if they really wanted the one who didn't get the nomination.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
But will that be balanced out by all the Republicans who claimed that they'd vote for the Democrats before McCain? :D

I have a feeling that once nomination fever settles down, people will have some sober second thought and decide to vote for the candidate whose positions and policies best reflect their own views. In most cases, this will probably mean voting for their own party's candidate, even if they really wanted the one who didn't get the nomination.

We agree? It had to happen sometime! :foot:

I would say the candidate that makes the least mistakes during the election will be President.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where'd yopu get this idea that universal healthcare would be costly, Rev?
We already lead the world in tax dollars for healthcare. If we adopted a French or Austrian healthcare system we could look foreward to greatly improved public health and a huge reduction in federal taxes.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
As I can see from people not responding to my OP then the Libs have no answer as to why. Thank you.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Why do you support the democratic party this election? I mean come on. Universal healthcare? Ok, taxes will be raised 60% for us to cover this and the level of care we get will diminish greatly. The war in Iraq? Ok, the troops are coming home in 1 year anyway. Illegal immigration? Ok, are you willing to support welfare for these people with your own social security? Seriously, why?
Maybe we're not interested trying to keep everything for ourselves. :shrug:

John McCain has expressed his desire to stay in Iraq (unless that's changed recently). I'd rather have my taxes go towards helping others get healthcare than some absurd oil war. Take out all the taxes we'd be spending on the war and that number would be a lot less than 60%, assuming of course that figure is even somewhat accurate.

Secondly, putting immigration and welfare together is more of that wonderful conservative spin in action. The majority of our illegal immigrants have shown that they are perfectly capable of supporting themselves provided they have the oppurtunity to do so (unless they need healthcare, which is something even us citizens can't self-provide for). Oppurtunity is the problem: It's damn near impossible for third world countries to immigrate here nowdays due to a variety of factors; Money being the biggest and time-length of processing being a close second. I'm not sure how someone who make $2.00 a day is supposed to come up with $1,500 dollars just to file for immigration and then wait close to ten years before their paperwork is proccessed. :sarcastic

Escéptico

As I can see from people not responding to my OP then the Libs have no answer as to why. Thank you.
Wow, you gave the "Libs" a whole hour before declaring victory, eh?

Try to act surprised when I tell you that I don't support a party that has spent the better part of a decade exploiting a terrorist attack to further their cynical political program; gutting the economy by turning a blind eye to an investment industry that's now making money on risk; pushing through legislation to curtail civil liberties in the disguise of 'anti-terrorism' measures; rationalizing torture of political prisoners; destroying our international reputation by lying about nukes to excuse their baldfaced landgrabs in Central Asia; and pandering to the sickest prejudices of the electorate to make them think gay couples and illegal immigrants are their most powerful enemies.

Call me crazy.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Escéptico;1112663 said:

Try to act surprised when I tell you that I don't support a party that has spent the better part of a decade exploiting a terrorist attack to further their cynical political program; gutting the economy by turning a blind eye to an investment industry that's now making money on risk; pushing through legislation to curtail civil liberties in the disguise of 'anti-terrorism' measures; rationalizing torture of political prisoners; destroying our international reputation by lying about nukes to excuse their baldfaced landgrabs in Central Asia; and pandering to the sickest prejudices of the electorate to make them think gay couples and illegal immigrants are their most powerful enemies.

Call me crazy.
I really couldn't have put that any better. :clap

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
Escéptico;1112663 said:

Call me crazy.

Well, I'm not a Bush apologist. He's done some terrible things, certainly. But I'm talking about this election. Are you voting Democrat jsut because you are taht disgruntled with the present administration or because you actually think Obama or Hilary can , I'm sorry what is both their motto's....change?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The democrats are far from perfect, but they're definitely the lesser of two evils. They better represent my stance on issues (I'm pro-choice and support gay rights, for example) than any other party that has a chance to win. The last 8 years have been a steaming pile of fail, I really don't want 4 more. It's funny how people ***** about taxes towards health care, yet don't mind wasting trillions and 4000+ dead soldiers on a useless, unjustified and unwinnable war. Also, I'm a civil liberties and human rights kinda guy.

rheff78

I'm your huckleberry.
The democrats are far from perfect, but they're definitely the lesser of two evils. They better represent my stance on issues (I'm pro-choice and support gay rights, for example) than any other party that has a chance to win. The last 8 years have been a steaming pile of fail, I really don't want 4 more. It's funny how people ***** about taxes towards health care, yet don't mind wasting trillions and 4000+ dead soldiers on a useless, unjustified and unwinnable war. Also, I'm a civil liberties and human rights kinda guy.

You know what's funny? Bush had to get Congressional support in order to go to war. The Congress was run by Dems while this was going on. Oh and I see, Republicans don't like civil lib or human rights. They are actually more human rights than Dems, they even speak for people who can't speak for themselves.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You know what's funny? Bush had to get Congressional support in order to go to war. The Congress was run by Dems while this was going on. Oh and I see, Republicans don't like civil lib or human rights. They are actually more human rights than Dems, they even speak for people who can't speak for themselves.

Look, I'm not going to try and defend or justify the mistakes of democrats. I have no blind loyalty to any political party. At least they seem to be able to step back, admit mistakes and try to fix them. And in what ways do republicans support civil liberties and human rights?

lunamoth

Will to love
6 "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness [a] will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. 9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
"If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Status
Not open for further replies.