• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberals admit July 4th parades are right wing

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Not sure how this is translated into "Liberals admit ...."

but the full Harvard study is here (large pdf).

And if you read it carefully, amounts to little more than a poor presentation of manipulating statistics to match preconceived correlation equals causation.

(This paragraph from the article almost made me think the whole thing was a typical Harvard lampoon.)
Our method uses daily precipitation data from 1920-1990 to proxy for exogenous variation in participation on Fourth of July as a child. The estimates imply that days without rain on Fourth of July in childhood increase the likelihood of identifying with the Republicans as an adult, voting for the Republican but not the Democratic candidate, and voter turnout.
Source PDF

Skwim

Veteran Member

And if you read it carefully, amounts to little more than a poor presentation of manipulating statistics to match preconceived correlation equals causation.

(This paragraph from the article almost made me think the whole thing was a typical Harvard lampoon.)
Our method uses daily precipitation data from 1920-1990 to proxy for exogenous variation in participation on Fourth of July as a child. The estimates imply that days without rain on Fourth of July in childhood increase the likelihood of identifying with the Republicans as an adult, voting for the Republican but not the Democratic candidate, and voter turnout.
Source PDF
Joe_Stocks doesn't realize that Washington Whispers is a cartoon in text form. :thud: Oh well.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi tumbleweed,

What I meant by that was that it was a Havard study, which is fairly liberal in disposition.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Skwim,

Joe_Stocks doesn't realize that Washington Whispers is a cartoon in text form. :thud: Oh well.

1. Nice genetic fallacy there.

2. The results are from a Harvard study, so I guess that is the cartoon you are referring to?

dust1n

Zindīq

Source PDF
Sounds about right. Now to mention it's my generation and the one before mine that will be in power in due time, not ********** from anything previous to the nineties.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Hi tumbleweed,

What I meant by that was that it was a Havard study, which is fairly liberal in disposition.
Joe, could you clarify what you mean here? Are you saying that this study is liberal because it was done at Harvard, or are you saying that Harvard is liberal because only liberals are allowed to attend Harvard? If the latter, when was the policy implemented? After GW Bush graduated from there?

Flankerl

As a non american its always fascinating to see the bit more conservatives to argue with the bit less conservatives about who is the doom of their country.

Quite amusing. :)

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
As a non american its always fascinating to see the bit more conservatives to argue with the bit less conservatives about who is the doom of their country.

Germans have learned a bitter lesson from what can happen when the extreme right wing comes to absolute power, and Russians have learned a similar lesson from their extreme left wing. Both countries have sprung back from the damage caused by their political excesses. Americans have been lucky in not becoming too extreme in either direction over the past century and a half. Unfortunately, we are going through a period of time when we need innovative, progressive solutions, but we are still very much dominated by conservative and even reactionary tendencies. One can only hope that we find a way to steer ourselves back in the right direction. For a while it looked like Obama would do that, but he does not seem to be the leader that many of us hoped for.

blackout

Violet.
Parades are just that, people on parade.

Funny how the flag waving "freedom for all" crowd
consistently VOTE AGAINST equality of freedom for ALL.

Walking the parade, is not walking the walk.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Joe, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you really saying that liberals can't be patriotic?

:facepalm:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Great article

Harvard: July 4th Parades Are Right-Wing - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

As Reagan said, "Republicans believe everyday is the 4th of July, Democrats believe everyday is April 15th."

The moral psychologist Jonathan Haidt argues that there are five cross-cultural foundations of morality: care, fairness, loyalty, respect and purity. People who identify themselves as liberals/progressives favour fairness and care over the other three categories. Conservatives, on the other hand, favour all five less fervently. Liberals think the least of purity and conservatives think the least of fairness.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Copernicus,

Joe, could you clarify what you mean here? Are you saying that this study is liberal because it was done at Harvard, or are you saying that Harvard is liberal because only liberals are allowed to attend Harvard? If the latter, when was the policy implemented? After GW Bush graduated from there?

I am arguing that the study was most likely done by people with a liberal persuasion.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Darkness,

The moral psychologist Jonathan Haidt argues that there are five cross-cultural foundations of morality: care, fairness, loyalty, respect and purity. People who identify themselves as liberals/progressives favour fairness and care over the other three categories. Conservatives, on the other hand, favour all five less fervently. Liberals think the least of purity and conservatives think the least of fairness.

Tell that to Joe Lieberman, liberals seemed pretty keen on purity there while Republicans have yet to kick Ron Paul (opposition to Iraq war), Rudy Giuliani (pro-choice) or Mitt Romney (Obamacare in Mass) out of the Republican Party for their less 'pure' views.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Storm,

Joe, I'm not sure what your point is. Are you really saying that liberals can't be patriotic?

Oh, they can be, but it is extremely difficult with an ideology that has values contra to our Founding values. There's a reason Jefferson was so high on the French Revolution (at least at first).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Oh, they can be, but it is extremely difficult with an ideology that has values contra to our Founding values. There's a reason Jefferson was so high on the French Revolution (at least at first).
I can't agree.

What values do you think run against the Bill Of Rights? (Yes I know that's what you said, but I'm trying to exclude speculation on specific FFs' personalities.)

The only thing I can think of is the common support of gun control, but that's not universally absolute...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hi Storm,

Between conservatives and liberals, which side constantly attempts to undermine the constitution and trample people's rights, freedom and equality (the very values that define America)?

˙sןɐɹǝqıן ʇou s,ʇı :ɹǝʍsuɐ