• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberalism and Leftism - What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
After some thought, I've come to question a few things:

What is the point of posting in the political forums if you don't have an L or L view? You're going to be berated in an offhanded way, or someone is going to bombard you with fake news as support for their flawed arguments.

So, speak for yourselves...

Why do you think I or anyone else should engage in these "obviously bait" sort of conversations when it is obvious that many of you aren't even reading what people type?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If you are upset then maybe you shouldn't post. I don't think that is an unreasonable line of action given your complaints.

von bek

Speaking as someone who considers himself a leftist, I don't think you should back down when you have something you feel needs to be said. Look at it this way, you aren't posting necessarily for the benefit of who is responding, but, for all the silent lurkers who may be receptive to your viewpoint.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

What is the point of posting in the political forums if you don't have an L or L view? You're going to be berated in an offhanded way, or someone is going to bombard you with fake news as support for their flawed arguments.

Why do you think I or anyone else should engage in these "obviously bait" sort of conversations when it is obvious that many of you aren't even reading what people type?

If you think someone is out of line report it to the mods, otherwise deal with the fact that this is the Internet and people will disagree with you.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
If you think someone is out of line report it to the mods, otherwise deal with the fact that this is the Internet and people will disagree with you.
He can also take his discussion to the conservative only section. He can enjoy the safe space company of like minded individuals. :D

idav

Being
Premium Member

I often see "lefties" as many like to say, being baited.

When the US is polarized about 50 50 it makes for good debate.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

Actually, if you post in the politics forums, you are going to be berated by someone, whether you are R, L, Libertarian, populist, social and/or fiscal conservative or liberal, elephant, donkey, or giraffe.

Actually, if you post in the politics forums, you are going to be berated by someone, whether you are R, L, Libertarian, populist, social and/or fiscal conservative or liberal, elephant, donkey, or giraffe.

Strange. I've always found political discussions to be an erudite and dispassionate search for truth, filled with empathy and goodwill, often resulting in people completely changing their initial positions.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Did you say something?

Perhaps if you didn't say that they are all stupid, rabidly biased, fake news swallowing, libtard morons you would start things off on a better footing?

Just a thought.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Perhaps if you didn't say that they are all stupid, rabidly biased, fake news swallowing, libtard morons you would start things off on a better footing?

Just a thought.
How's he supposed to create click-bait without it? :smirkcat:

Kapalika

Premium Member

What do you want, a safe space where you won't be called out for your weakly supported positions? Sounds like a bunch of "liberal" talk to me.

You are basically complaining that people don't agree with you. What happened to free speech?

Oh wait, I'm sorry, did I accidentally use your side's talking points? Funny how that applies so easily. Much of what you claim many lefties do, we believe the righties do too and for me, I think it's at a much greater rate.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What you're describing seems more to be a personality type and a method of argumentation which appears to be across the board, not having anything to do with an actual political view. There are people who use tactics of ridicule, as well as berate and bait their opponents, but they exist on both sides of the spectrum.

I've noticed that in many political forums (not just here on this site), there are certain personality types who come across as a bit "too partisan" to be believable. You might notice that there are some people who never acknowledge or concede any flawed arguments or weaknesses from their side, yet always attacking the other side. It'll either be some variation of "Democrats always good, Republicans always bad" or vice versa. Sometimes I think that, either they're paid shills, or they don't really know what they're talking about and are trying to bluff their way through by cribbing and regurgitating someone else's arguments.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I have multiple views that are at odds with liberal and leftist positions, and I don't get "berated in an offhanded way" except from relatively few people when I post on RF. I've always been able to criticize liberalism and the left on this forum just as I have always been able to criticize conservatism and the right.

Going by some of your posts that I've seen, though, it seems to me that you should consider that maybe the problem is in the way you express and present yourself. That's a big possibility too.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Both sides are rabid and irrational. If you want to jump into the fray, have fun. If you can't handle people being mean and stupid, then I suggest steering clear of political and religious conversation altogether.