• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Religion vs. Liberal Politics

J Bryson

In Reverend Rick's "Liberal Christian" Is An Oxymoron! thread, I've noticed some confusion. While I'm not completely sure what Rick was driving at (which seems to be the case with most of your posts, Rick :D), I felt that it was important to clear the air between what the word "liberal" means when applied to politics and when applied to religion.

According to Wikipedia:
Liberal religion is a religious tradition which embraces the theological diversity of a congregation rather than respecting any single creed, authority, or writing. Because it may draw resources from many traditions, it cannot normally be characterized as Christian, Jewish, or any particular religious faith. Theologian James Luther Adams defined the "five smooth stones of liberalism" as:

1. Revelation and truth are not closed, but constantly revealed.
  2. All relations between persons ought ideally to rest on mutual, free consent and not coercion.
  3. Affirmation of the moral obligation to direct one's effort toward the establishment of a just and loving community.
  4. Denial of the immaculate conception of virtue and affirmation of the necessity of social incarnation. Good must be consciously given form and power within history.
  5. The resources (divine and human) that are available for achievement of meaningful change justify an attitude of ultimate (but not necessarily immediate) optimism. There is hope in the ultimate abundance of the Universe.[1]

My own church is non-creedal, and fits well within these lines. Liberal Christianity also has an entry:

Liberal Christianity, sometimes called liberal theology, is an umbrella term covering diverse, philosophically informed religious movements and ideas within late 18th, 19th and 20th century Christianity. The word "liberal" in liberal Christianity does not refer to a progressive political agenda or set of beliefs, but rather to the manner of thought and belief associated with the philosophical and religious paradigms developed during the Age of Enlightenment.

Specifically, one can find Liberal Christian churches among many mainstream denominations, especially the Episcopalians, Anglicans, Lutherans, and Presbyterians.

The point is that "Liberal Christian" is separate in meaning from "Politically Liberal Christian". One can be politically conservative while being religiously liberal, and vice-versa.

I'm posting this in its own thread so that it won't get lost in the fascinating conversation going on over there.