• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal only: the myth of electability in 2020

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Nail, meet hammer. I'm not nearly ready to make a choice about who I'll support in the primary election, but these women are on my "seriously consider" list and for the reasons outlined in this piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/09/you-want-know-who-is-electable/

They’ve also gotten their share of blatantly sexist coverage. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) isn’t likable, the media tut-tutted. Well, she’s in third in most polls and closing in on Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), so maybe the story should have been that Sanders is too grouchy, and all these white men, current and former congressmen, aren’t credentialed enough.
As the excuses for not nominating a woman pile up, it’s not hard to see that the four female senators are running circles around most of their male competitors when it comes to serious and detailed policy proposals. Warren (I’ve got a plan for that), Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) (e.g., plans for teacher pay, tax credits, housing allowances, abortion rights), Klobuchar (e.g., plans for infrastructure, mental health, social media transparency — honest ads) and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) (e.g., plans for abortion rights, a Family Bill of Rights, marijuana legalization) arguably are running the most substantive races we’ve seen in years.
In fact, women aren’t just electable, they were elected in droves in 2018 — in state legislative, House, Senate and governor races. Now that message needs to be spread, either through an existing organization or a new one. Someone must collect the data, make the case to donors and insiders, run ads and inform Democrats the “safe” choice in winning in urban and suburban areas is very often the female candidate. It is time to bat down the surreptitious and insidious “not electable” meme once and for all.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think those that say they are not electable are afraid of messing with the status quo. Same with the fact they you have to be Christian, for the most part. These things need to change, are changing and will continue to change.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I think those that say they are not electable are afraid of messing with the status quo. Same with the fact they you have to be Christian, for the most part. These things need to change, are changing and will continue to change.
Are thing indeed changing, most of these women (some whom I admire) are the same-old-same-old. Like most liberals and leftist in our day they are pro-capitalists whose policies are those who believe we can "fix capitalism". Expanding healthcare, lgbt rights, fixing immigration policies are all misguided attempts at "fixing capitalism". It is like trying to cure cancer with a band aid.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Nail, meet hammer. I'm not nearly ready to make a choice about who I'll support in the primary election, but these women are on my "seriously consider" list and for the reasons outlined in this piece:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/06/09/you-want-know-who-is-electable/

They’ve also gotten their share of blatantly sexist coverage. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) isn’t likable, the media tut-tutted. Well, she’s in third in most polls and closing in on Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), so maybe the story should have been that Sanders is too grouchy, and all these white men, current and former congressmen, aren’t credentialed enough.
As the excuses for not nominating a woman pile up, it’s not hard to see that the four female senators are running circles around most of their male competitors when it comes to serious and detailed policy proposals. Warren (I’ve got a plan for that), Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) (e.g., plans for teacher pay, tax credits, housing allowances, abortion rights), Klobuchar (e.g., plans for infrastructure, mental health, social media transparency — honest ads) and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) (e.g., plans for abortion rights, a Family Bill of Rights, marijuana legalization) arguably are running the most substantive races we’ve seen in years.
In fact, women aren’t just electable, they were elected in droves in 2018 — in state legislative, House, Senate and governor races. Now that message needs to be spread, either through an existing organization or a new one. Someone must collect the data, make the case to donors and insiders, run ads and inform Democrats the “safe” choice in winning in urban and suburban areas is very often the female candidate. It is time to bat down the surreptitious and insidious “not electable” meme once and for all.
A few things:

1) I'm wary of taking advice on who to nominate from a conservative like Jennifer Rubin.
2) I've never thought people should be elected on the basis of some demographic box they check.
3) I agree that some of the women running, like Warren, are genuinely more electable than people give them credit for. Others, like Klobuchar and Gillibrand, are basically sunk at this point with Biden sucking up the vast majority of centrist support.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Are thing indeed changing, most of these women (some whom I admire) are the same-old-same-old. Like most liberals and leftist in our day they are pro-capitalists whose policies are those who believe we can "fix capitalism". Expanding healthcare, lgbt rights, fixing immigration policies are all misguided attempts at "fixing capitalism". It is like trying to cure cancer with a band aid.

Unfortunately, incrementalism is the way to do it. I wish it weren't so.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
One thing for sure. Anyone who does not like Trump one bit but won't vote for the Democrat because she or he is not radical enough should remember history.

Half a loaf is infinitely better than a moldy, crappy crust of bread.

lol You are so right!