• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Christians: Why is it bigoted for Christians to believe they’re part of the true religion

SinSaber

when a conservative Christian says that Christianity is the one true religion, you call them bigots. But, if someone from a different religion says the same thing about their religion, you affirm them.

Hypocrisy? Political bias? Humanist hatred?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it's alright to bash Christians left right and centre, but religions like Islam and Judaism are protected species. Regressive leftist politics in action as usual.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never been called an Islamophobe, bigot, or racist for it. I tend to criticize beliefs instead of demonizing people though.
It doesn't matter what you do. I have engaged in debates against Islam more times than I can count and I've been called everything under the sun. When I talk badly about Christianity it's silent. You haven't been here long enough.

@YmirGF

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
They are. Have you tried criticising Islam without someone calling you an Islamophobe, bigot or a racist? Try it on these fora.

It is rather odd how some leftists will ridicule Christianity yet defend Islam even though both are guilty of the same offenses. Also I think it's lame when people try to conflate religion with race. When someone converts does it magically rewrite their genetic structure?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've never been called an Islamophobe, bigot, or racist for it. I tend to criticize beliefs instead of demonizing people though.
It's not common, but there have been a handful in the past here who would dismiss an valid criticism of Muslim beliefs and practices as "Islamophobia". I agree that a distinction should be made between scrutinizing a belief and attacking a person. The problem is that some feel that their beliefs should be above reproach and will take it personally regardless.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is rather odd how some leftists will ridicule Christianity yet defend Islam even though both are guilty of the same offenses. Also I think it's lame when people try to conflate religion with race. When someone converts does it magically rewrite their genetic structure?
I've seen this, too. Even among liberals there's tribalism and those who don't apply principles evenly.
I think it may stem from the liberal tendency to rush to the defense of an underdog.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
when a conservative Christian says that Christianity is the one true religion, you call them bigots. But, if someone from a different religion says the same thing about their religion, you affirm them.

Hypocrisy? Political bias? Humanist hatred?

I'm afraid I'm not following. I can only conclude the OP is directed at me because it states, "you affirm them."

Sorry, but I don't recall ever affirming anyone. The only person I can presume to affirm is me.

I have and will continue to call anyone who claims theirs is the One True Religion™ a proselytizing bigot.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
It's not common, but there have been a handful in the past here that would dismiss an valid criticism of Muslim belief and practice as "Islamophobia". I agree that a distinction should be made between scrutinizing a belief and attacking a person. The problem is that some feel that their beliefs should be above reproach and will take it personally regardless.
Oh I'm aware that there are people who do it and I disapprove of them. I've even countered them before. I just felt I needed to respond to the broad brush being inappropriately applied in this thread though. Someone seems to be obsessed with liberals lately.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They are. Have you tried criticising Islam without someone calling you an Islamophobe, bigot or a racist? Try it on these fora.
It's gotten me called an "Islamic apologist" a few times when I take a swipe and criticize all three.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I'm afraid I'm not following. I can only conclude the OP is directed at me because it states, "you affirm them."

Sorry, but I don't recall ever affirming anyone. The only person I can presume to affirm is me.

I have and will continue to call anyone who claims theirs is the One True Religion™ a proselytizing bigot.
Proselytizing maybe. I don't see how it makes them a bigot though. Bigotry implies intolerance, which isn't the case when someone just thinks they are right. I guess it depends on where they go from there when they encounter other beliefs. I'd need examples.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I've seen this, too. Even among liberals there's tribalism and those who don't apply principles evenly.
I think it may stem from the liberal tendency to rush to the defense of an underdog.

Or "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", never minding the fact that your enemy's enemy is also guilty of the very same things that made your enemy your enemy in the first place.