1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Liberal Christians: If everyone gets into heaven just cause, will REAL Christians enjoy more?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by SinSaber, Jan 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +11,922
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I assume you believe yourself to be a "real Christian" because, in part, you've dedicated yourself to Christ," unlike liberal Christians, and others I presume, who aren't true Christians because they haven't dedicated themselves to Christ.

Question. What does dedicating oneself to Christ consist of? And how does it differ from what a "liberal Christian" might do?

#41 Skwim, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,545
    Einstein said something similar as well: "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Faithofchristian

Faithofchristian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576
    Religion:
    Christian
    Are you freaking kidding me, Christ Jesus does not give fables nor falsehoods.

You have no clue nor any understanding of anything that is Spiritual. That's for sure

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. columbus

columbus yawn <ignore> yawn

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    Those of us who understand the basics generally use the term "parable" to refer to the morality stories from people like Jesus, not fable. But you can call them whatever you like, they're still fiction.
    Neither does anyone else. That's for sure.:rolleyes:
    Tom

5. Faithofchristian

Ratings:
    +576
    Religion:
    Christian

So you say, which doesn't mount to much.

6. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    Do you think I just invented the word "parable" or something?
    Tom

7. Faithofchristian

Ratings:
    +576
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well it's quite simple, do you know what a parable is

8. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    Yes
    Tom

9. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,027
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    In this case, your beliefs as a Christian should be helpful in your current life. You ought to see benefit from being a Christian now.

You're reward is the peace, happiness, success of your current life that is the result of following the teachings of Jesus.

10. Nakosis

Nakosis crystal soldier
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,027
    Religion:
    Atheist Libertarian
    [​IMG]

Funniest post I've read all week. :tonguewink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Active Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +150
    I am not sure who proposed such a thing. People who want to take away food aid from the poor, take away healthcare from the poor, put more people into prisons and throw strangers/immigrants out of the country (Matthew 25:31-46) have zero chance of getting into heaven anytime soon - they need to correct their attitude to the poor and oppressed before they can enter heaven.

• Like Like x 6
  12. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    I don't even believe that Jesus is God. But I have no trouble seeing what the main thrust of His Teachings were. And they just don't match much of what I hear from conservative Christians.
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Nobody has an automatic ticket to Heaven. Not even those who dedicate their lives to serve. If someone dedicated their life to serving then they did it out of love for Him. If someone dedicates their life for any other reason, they did it for the wrong reason imo. Ultimately God has the final say for that, not us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. idav

idav Being
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    Mormons believe in levels of heaven and conservative yet liberal.

15. Kelly of the Phoenix

Kelly of the Phoenix Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Religion:
    "Post" Christian, likely Deist
    The bible is inconsistent with a lot of things. Why tell a parable of a poor man who went to heaven if no one goes to heaven?

Employee: I did the thing. Give me a raise.
    Boss: You're supposed to do the thing. It's in your job description. Not doing it gets you fired.
    Employee: But I did the thing.
    Boss (slowly): But ... you ... are ... supposed ... to ... do ... the ... thing. You don't get a reward for doing your job, just the pleasure of staying employed.

(see the parable of the talents, where Jesus implies that those who put in the bare minimum can expect the bare minimum and those who don't do anything will have all perks rescinded)

16. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    Doesn't that contradict the parable of the Vineyard Owner, paying everybody what he wanted, regardless of when they joined the workers?
    Tom

17. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Religion:
    seeking
    Well, if you actually look into it, you will find that Jesus said He spoke in parables so people would NOT understand.

18. columbus

Ratings:
    +16,318
    Religion:
    None
    Ironic, isn't it?
    Jesus specifically said that He was speaking in a way that most folks would not understand.
    But @InChrist believes that the Scriptures interpret themselves.
    Tom

19. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,723
    Because I believe they do and that a correct interpretation of any particular passage or verse must always be consistent with what the rest of the scriptures say as a whole on the topic, rather than base conclusions, or build an interpretation on a single scripture. Scripture is the best interpreter of itself.

"Why Did Jesus Speak in Parables?

Jesus Gives A Revealing Answer

Jesus' answer to the question was quite revealing.

Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given . . . . And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says: 'Hearing you will hear and shall not understand, and seeing you will see and not perceive, for the heart of this people has grown dull. Their ears are hard of hearing, and their eyes they have closed, lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, lest they should understand with their heart and turn, so that I should heal them' (Matthew 13:11,14,15).

Unwillingness on the part of the people to receive Jesus' message of the kingdom was the reason that He taught in parables. The truths of the kingdom of God were heard by them but not understood. It was not because God was hiding the truth from them-it was because they did not want to hear."
    Why Did Jesus Speak in Parables?

20. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,273
    Religion:
    seeking
    If they did not want to hear, he could have said anything in any language and it would noy make any difference. But certain people were given to understand and others not to understand.In other words God wanted only certain people to understand so He gave them the ability to understand but not other people. It was God's choice.