• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Christians,are they here at Religious forums?

Equilibrium

Priest of his own Order
From my personal experience, Orthodox Christians in general tend to be more "liberal." They're not bible thumpers, and they don't take The Bible literally.

I wonder if there are Orthodox Christians on these forums...

omega2xx

From my personal experience, Orthodox Christians in general tend to be more "liberal." They're not bible thumpers, and they don't take The Bible literally.

However you define orthodox, you will find some. Keep looking.

Equilibrium

Priest of his own Order
However you define orthodox, you will find some. Keep looking.
I'm sure I'll run into some eventually.

By the way, I am new to these forums. Are they sort of dying or the community is still alive and well? I do see some latest threads, but nothing spectacular.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Not even then. If they did they would not be a true fundamentalists.
I am the true fundamentalist in my opinion. I learned liberalism directly from the Bible, and it is a challenge not to be a fundamentalist when I'm so darn good at it.
DUUH. That is not a literal verse. The sword is God's word(Eph 6:17). Jesus will slay them spiritually.
Nicely spotted, except that I doubt his word is for the purpose of slaying people.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You have blindly followed the theology of liberal scholars, who never provide any evidence for what they preach.
I grew up in a fundamentalist church and, thankfully, walked away from it, largely because of its anti-science teachings and disingenuous approach to dealing with the scriptures.

To the latter point, what they repeated did is to say that they believe in the Bible 100%, but then they either ignored or pooh-poohed away any conflicting verses that didn't fit their predetermined paradigm. The funny thing is that the church gave us a book entitled "The Harmony of the Gospels", which showed the narratives side-by-side, but what was so obvious is that these narratives certainly didn't all agree with each other by any stretch of the imagination.

There is no recent history of fundamentalism. Non-believers and liberals have invented a definition that is wrong and insulting and you have blindly accepted it because you dislike conservative theology.
You posted an article out of Wikipedia to try and prove your point, and I in return posted an article from the same source to give you the history of "Christian Fundamentalism", thus showing that it indeed has been a relatively recent phenomenon. Any yet you come back with the above.

metis

The grasp of the literature of the time is critical to understanding the Bible. Or one may always ignore the seeming absurdity.
And also the context of both the history and the culture is important as well to help that understanding.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
And also the context of both the history and the culture is important as well to help that understanding.
It is crucial to have a basic understanding of the place and time to understand what the authors were saying to their audience.

Modern literalists commonly attempt to make the Gospels conform to their modern worldview, with a lot of secular morality and such. Not to mention the translation issues. So they end up distorting what the NT says into what they feel that the authors "must have meant".
Tom

metis

In this case I think the context of the time is found in the intertestamental period.
I tend to agree. There also is much information to be found in the BAR issues as they're quite good at tying things together.

omega2xx

I'm sure I'll run into some eventually.

By the way, I am new to these forums. Are they sort of dying or the community is still alive and well? I do see some latest threads, but nothing spectacular.

I have been in this type of forum for many years. I have seen some interesting subjects and discussion, but never one I would consider spectacular.

Since I am a conservative, born again, Bible thumping Christians, we will probably cross swords from time to time.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

If you mean Orthodox Christian as in Eastern or Oriental Orthodox, we have a couple but they don't really post much. There's like, one Eastern Catholic and a handful of Roman Catholics. There's not many of us on this forum.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome. As always we are treading upon the edge of a knife. I guess we get maybe one or two thousand posts a day but you'd have to ask an admin, someone whose name is in red. If you really are interested go here: https://www.religiousforums.com/forums/site-feedback.344/ and politely start a thread inquiring how active the forum is. Its been here for, maybe 20 years I think and the software has changed a few times. I'd say we have enough people to keep it going.

omega2xx

I am the true fundamentalist in my opinion. I learned liberalism directly from the Bible, and it is a challenge not to be a fundamentalist when I'm so darn good at it.
Nicely spotted, except that I doubt his word is for the purpose of slaying people.

You can't learn liberalism from the Bible.

omega2xx

I grew up in a fundamentalist church and, thankfully, walked away from it, largely because of its anti-science teachings and disingenuous approach to dealing with the scriptures.

You don't know what a fundamentalist is. Fundamentalism does not even mention science. You have accepted a secular definition that tries to make fundamentalist look ignorant.

To the latter point, what they repeated did is to say that they believe in the Bible 100%, but then they either ignored or pooh-poohed away any conflicting verses that didn't fit their predetermined paradigm. The funny thing is that the church gave us a book entitled "The Harmony of the Gospels", which showed the narratives side-by-side, but what was so obvious is that these narratives certainly didn't all agree with each other by any stretch of the imagination.

Believing in the Bible 100% is part of fundamentalism. However there are not conflicting verses. You thinking there are in "The Harmony of the Gospels" points your lack of understanding.

You posted an article out of Wikipedia to try and prove your point, and I in return posted an article from the same source to give you the history of "Christian Fundamentalism", thus showing that it indeed has been a relatively recent phenomenon. Any yet you come back with the above.

I suggest you find a definition from a Christian source. What you read in Wikipedia, was not completely accurate.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
May be. I would be intersted what liberal theology he learned from the Bible. If he responds, I will ask him.
It isn't just one poster on RF.
I have known many many people I think would qualify as liberal who consider their beliefs to come from Scripture.
Try googling "Liberation Theology " or Bishop Romero.
Tom