• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Christians,are they here at Religious forums?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Instead its all about how we treat other people, especially the least, those that cannot repay. So liberal Christian is an ideal, but it is also a label that people embrace even if we aren't very liberal.
This is something I have been struck by in the real world.
The people who behave in the most Christ like way tend not to talk about religion much. They seem to be too busy feeding the less fortunate and advocating for the weak and working for peace and stuff like that. Religious arguments and judgments and stuff just get in the way of doing what they believe Jesus really wants done.
Their motto seems consistently to be "Preach the Gospel always. Use words only when absolutely necessary. "
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The people who behave in the most Christ like way tend not to talk about religion much.
To expand on this a bit...

I am sure that there are many Muslims who operate the same way. But rather like the Christians I am referring to, they don't make the news or post on forums enough to be as obvious as the religious troublemakers.
Tom

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The people who behave in the most Christ like way tend not to talk about religion much. They seem to be too busy feeding the less fortunate and advocating for the weak and working for peace and stuff like that. Religious arguments and judgments and stuff just get in the way of doing what they believe Jesus really wants done.
Their motto seems consistently to be "Preach the Gospel always. Use words only when absolutely necessary. "
Tom
Consider this, that in the 1980's the leading Christians and well known Christian groups that were fundamentalists decided to provoke social change through political stances, through resolute adherence to what they called scriptural principles and through ever increasing preaching on TV, Radio and other media like tapes and DVD's. This backfired though they have yet to admit it. They wanted less abortion but got more (although legal abortions have declined a little since 1990 likely due to Plan B and other things). They wanted less atheism but got more. They wanted less homosexuality but got more. They wanted less abusive drug abuse and got more. They wanted more peace in the world but got less. They wanted less corruption in US government but got more. They, the rulers of the Christian USA pursued a non-liberal policy of social change and got the reverse trend in everything they attacked. It follows that a likely reason is they did not apply sound liberal Christian principles and so completely failed to achieve Christian aims. Its the finger-trap problem of focusing on problems instead of solutions. I think in Christian Biblical terms they denied the power of God by thinking that change would come through their preaching, shouting and political involvement instead of through God's mercy.

Kirran

Premium Member
The people who behave in the most Christ like way tend not to talk about religion much. They seem to be too busy feeding the less fortunate and advocating for the weak and working for peace and stuff like that.

In relation to this, it is worth noting that by far the most money pouring into Sub-Saharan Africa from American Christians comes from progressive and liberal groups. It goes towards hospitals, orphanages, wells, schools, etc. There is also a much smaller amount coming from conservatives. It goes towards paying native bishops to drum up hatred of gays and condoms.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
In relation to this, it is worth noting that by far the most money pouring into Sub-Saharan Africa from American Christians comes from progressive and liberal groups. It goes towards hospitals, orphanages, wells, schools, etc. There is also a much smaller amount coming from conservatives. It goes towards paying native bishops to drum up hatred of gays and condoms.
There definitely is a difference as you say above.

Many moons ago, I had a discussion with a man whose son was a Baptist missionary in Africa who said that the main purpose of the aid was "to save souls" of those who could not be saved unless they accepted Jesus "as their lord and savior". When I compare that with the work done by the Catholic Relief Services, the latter does it for primarily helping people in need to live a better life, and if they were to convert, that's fine but not expected.

BTW, both Mennonite and LDS charitable donations for African relief go through CRS.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Hey, I am so liberal I am heretical, in an extremist/ fundamentalists eyes.
I do not answer all fundamentalist threads as some are so far out, that it is pointless.

omega2xx

Hey, I am so liberal I am heretical, in an extremist/ fundamentalists eyes.
I do not answer all fundamentalist threads as some are so far out, that it is pointless.

AS a liberal, you are not really qualified to say with any authority that a fundamentalist idea is far out.

In fact I doubt if you really know what a fundamentalist is.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
AS a liberal, you are not really qualified to say with any authority that a fundamentalist idea is far out.

In fact I doubt if you really know what a fundamentalist is.

I am well aware of what the various forms of Christian fundamentalism are.
However they each subscribe to the notion that they alone are correct, and everyone else wrong.

As far as Fundamentalists threads go, sometimes it is interesting to go along for the ride, other times the path is so well worn that I would rather not bother.

An Idea is far out.... only in reference to the receiver, As a liberal this is relative to my own standards not those of Fundamentalists, who invariably disagree with other Christians as well as all flavors of fundamentalism other than their own.

David T

Premium Member
Agreement with Luther had nothing to do with it. Luther wanted to leave James out of the canon but the other did not agree with him.

What's normal, is that narrative determines experiences. What's not normal is that experiences and narrative are splittable And thus examinable. For luther narrative dicates experience. Narrative derived from books, determining experience is a rather knot headed intellectualizing self delusion that is accedemic in nature. Luther is a scholar, he reads a book plays make believe he knows the melody factually he proved he did not with his anti Semitic views. So being a shiat accedemic theologian of low quality of someone who clearly doesn't even understand the topic GOD is in my view not worth paying attention to at all!!!! Soli scriptura is wrong because Luther said it, not right because Luther said it.

I didn't forget it, it is not applicable in this subject. This is also not about Luther. When you become perfect then throw some stones at Luther.

omega2xx

I am well aware of what the various forms of Christian fundamentalism are.

Then define the term.

However they each subscribe to the notion that they alone are correct, and everyone else wrong.<<

All religions do that including the ultra liberal ones. If I don't believe I am right, I need to change my mind about some things. Believing ones religion is right is critical for spiritual well being.

As far as Fundamentalists threads go, sometimes it is interesting to go along for the ride, other times the path is so well worn that I would rather not bother.

That's fine, not post is mandatory. I always try to show Scripturally why liberal theology is not Biblical.

An Idea is far out.... only in reference to the receiver,

True but that does not make it far out.

As a liberal this is relative to my own standards not those of Fundamentalists, who invariably disagree with other Christians as well as all flavors of fundamentalism other than their own.

All liberals don't agree either, so that is a hollow argument. All conservative denomination agree 100% on the basic fundamental doctrines of Christianity, and they are the most important doctrines in any religion.

omega2xx

And what are the fundamental doctrines?

A few include, Jesus was God in the flesh, the inerrancy of the Scriptures, Salvation by Grace alone, not on works. the substitutionary atonement of Jesus, Jesus is the Messiah and He is coming again.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
A few include, Jesus was God in the flesh, the inerrancy of the Scriptures, Salvation by Grace alone, not on works. the substitutionary atonement of Jesus, Jesus is the Messiah and He is coming again.
I was raised a fundamentalist.