• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Christianity Lessons

ZooGirl02

I am interested in learning about Liberal Christianity and its various denominations via PM.

Why not just learn it in a thread here? There are various opinions within Liberal Christianity. However, I can tell you that most liberal Christians are for gay marriage or gay civil unions and most are also for pro-reproductive choice which means that it is between a woman, her doctor, her partner, and God as to whether or not she gets an abortion. Most liberal Christians also believe in separation of church and state, are for all forms of stem cell research including but not limited to embryonic stem cell research, and are also for other reproductive freedoms. In fact, I'd venture to guess that all liberal Christians are totally for a couple choosing which birth control method is right for them. Conservative Catholics, of course, are not. Many, if not most liberal Christians, are also for comprehensive sexuality education which includes at the very least education about the various forms of birth control and the various methods of safer sex/physical intimacy. Some liberal Christians are also for comprehensive sexuality education that includes education about the various forms of sexuality such as heterosexuality, bisexuality, homosexuality, and transgender and the rights that these people deserve. Of course, some people think that education should be silent as to the rights of such people since there is much debate as to what rights people of alternative sexual orientations should have. Some liberal Christians are for the death penalty while many others are against it. The point is is that there is a variety of viewpoints on various issues when it comes to liberal Christianity. Therefore, I think that you should just ask your questions in a thread such as this one so that you can hear the different viewpoints explained and such. But anyway, I wish you luck on your research.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
That's a good question. I don't know of any that pop into my head at the moment. Probably not any of the mainline mega-churches. Most of the liberal ones would probably be found as a "non-denominational" church of sorts. Feeling perhaps disenfranchised from there more conservative brothers and sisters, they will be more likely to start their own church and go rogue.

ZooGirl02

Do Liberal Christians differ doctrinally from other christians? Which denominations are considered "liberal"?

Liberal Christians do sometimes differ doctrinally than other Christians. For example, many liberal Christians do not believe that sex before marriage is wrong while most other Christians do. Some Episcopalians are liberal. Many United Church of Christ Christians are liberal.

That's a good question. I don't know of any that pop into my head at the moment. Probably not any of the mainline mega-churches. Most of the liberal ones would probably be found as a "non-denominational" church of sorts. Feeling perhaps disenfranchised from there more conservative brothers and sisters, they will be more likely to start their own church and go rogue.

Actually, my own experience tells me that most churches that call themselves "non-denominational" are more on the conservative and fundamentalist end of the spectrum.

What do they say about other Christians?

I think most liberal Christians would say that other Christians have the right to believe what they want to believe.

Greystone

LIberal Christians vary enormously in their degree of liberalism and also what they believe. There are some who are almost athiest in that they do not believe that Jesus was God or in the virgin birth or that Jesus literally rose from the dead. They believe that Jesus was merely a great teacher about God not that he was God incarnate.

While most simply believe that the whole Bible cannot be take literally as it is written down. That it needs interpretation and that many stories in the Bible as similar to parables ie not meant to have actually happened but to teach us about God. For example the story of Adam and Eve or the great flood in which only Noah and his family survived.

I would say this is where I stand. I believe most of the New Testmament that Jesus was God who came to earth but don't believe all of the Old Testament stories happened just as they were written. I also believe that the Bible needs interpretation instead of being read at face value.