• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Liberal Christian Denominations?

roger1440

I do stuff
Hello, everyone! I have a question I'll bet some of you can answer. I am a Reconstructionist Jew (info), which is a very liberal denomination that's more traditional than Reform, meaning more Hebrew and more traditional melodies in services, but very lenient and informal in terms of observance. We don't believe the Torah is the literal word of God, we only uphold the commandments we are comfortable upholding, and we do not distinguish (or discriminate) on the basis of gender or sexual orientation. In short, we are very invested in Jewish identity, but not in a communalistic way. While more observant denominations may hold that their first responsibility is the welfare of the Jewish people, we believe that our first responsibility is to stand up for everyone on behalf of the Jewish people.

I am wondering if there are specific Christian denominations with similar approaches. I read the information in the Liberal Christianity forum, and it sounded like the same ideas, but there was no information on specific churches. I know that Quakerism and Unitarianism were originally Christian schools of thought, but many Quakers and Unitarian/Universalists I know are not Christian (when the Unitarians merged with the Universalists, did they drop the worship of Christ altogether?). So what churches are out there for people who interpret Christian theology the same way Reconstructionists understand Jewish theology?

Perhaps the answer to this should be obvious, in which case I must ask you to forgive my ignorance, because, like far too many American Jews, I grew up so surrounded by Jews that I never actually got to learn the specifics of how Christianity works. Thanks for your help in advance!
This post might be helpful:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/3749276-post325.html