• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LHP perspectives on Dracula

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I recently bought Bram Stoker's Dracula. Anybody else a fan of his work?

What can we learn about the antihero from this piece of literature? I know that people from a LaVeyan background may have negative emotions toward Vampires since they like to carry the label Werewolves. What does it mean to be a Werewolf vs. being a Vampire?

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I should probably read it. But werewolves interest me more than vampires. But to defeat your foe, you must know your foe. ;)

Vampire cults are actually a real and ligit thing. Some actually live like vampires but most are energy vampires (or vampyres, as some spell it.) Some people also do rituals to spiritually shapeshift. Maybe you'd like to look into that.

RedDragon94

I should probably read it. But werewolves interest me more than vampires. But to defeat your foe, you must know your foe. ;)

Vampire cults are actually a real and ligit thing. Some actually live like vampires but most are energy vampires (or vampyres, as some spell it.) Some people also do rituals to spiritually shapeshift. Maybe you'd like to look into that.
I'm aware of Spiritual Vampyrism. I feel like I would do better as a solitary and having my own LHP philosophy. Is there a connection to Samael/Lilith along the lines of Vampyrism?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'd much rather read Vlad: The Final Confession, a creative non-fiction based on the few remaining artifacts that tell the real Wallachian Viovode's story. Of course the real Vlad was Christian and even Crusader, but he was a vicious Machiavellian ruler who died not too many years after Machiavelli was born. It is not just a story of faith and hope for redemption, but also about the inner raging beast that sleeps within us, and revealing in full blast and vivid linguistic portrayals of why we call it "beast."
Stoker's Dracula, though a very worthy read, seems to me to be hardly more than a reflection of the highly sexually repressed Victorian era from whence it came. Which is fascinating in itself, considering the speculations of bisexuality, but it's just not something I consider LHP.

SabahTheLoner

I'm aware of Spiritual Vampyrism. I feel like I would do better as a solitary and having my own LHP philosophy. Is there a connection to Samael/Lilith along the lines of Vampyrism?

Don't know about Samael but Lilith's name appears on this list: Vampire Deities

Both are considered more Satanic and Draconian deities, though.

RedDragon94

Don't know about Samael but Lilith's name appears on this list: Vampire Deities

Both are considered more Satanic and Draconian deities, though.
Now the word Draconian, the meaning of that word when I look it up in the dictionary has to do with harsh punishments. Does that describe Lilith and the other vampire deities?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I recently bought Bram Stoker's Dracula. Anybody else a fan of his work?

What can we learn about the antihero from this piece of literature? I know that people from a LaVeyan background may have negative emotions toward Vampires since they like to carry the label Werewolves. What does it mean to be a Werewolf vs. being a Vampire?

I only like the first part, in the castle. It's like The King in Yellow - a few good chapters then... blah. I love Gothic aesthetic but I wouldn't say that's inherently LHP.

Well Lilith could sort of be compared to a vampiric deity, to many she is a succubus.

Now the word Draconian, the meaning of that word when I look it up in the dictionary has to do with harsh punishments. Does that describe Lilith and the other vampire deities?

Hmm, draconian mostly just means really old in occult circles, not necessarily harsh. Those punishments are draconian because of age, not moral validity.

SabahTheLoner

It depends on how you treat them. I've met some Lilith devotees who have good experiences with her, and hardly anyone dislikes her. But she also has qualities that seem intimidating. I'd probably say she's one of the easier entities to approach simply because she's in various traditions and there's so much information on her. But others have said that she can be envious if handled incorrectly.

SabahTheLoner

Hmm, draconian mostly just means really old in occult circles, not necessarily harsh. Those punishments are draconian because of age, not moral validity.

I was referring to the Draconian path in modern occultism, which utilizes Satanic and Luciferian deities as archetypes of the Dragon as well as literal Dragon gods and their offspring (like Tiamat, a Babylonian primordial goddess). Asenath Mason is the main author of this tradition.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I don't find vampires particularly Satanic or LHP tbh. Although in some mythos they can be really cool. A thing to me is you can't really refer to a character RHP or LHP unless there is a religion or tradition to put their beliefs and practice in context of in the story. They don't exist as designations on their own, in which case they "just are".

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I was referring to the Draconian path in modern occultism, which utilizes Satanic and Luciferian deities as archetypes of the Dragon as well as literal Dragon gods and their offspring (like Tiamat, a Babylonian primordial goddess). Asenath Mason is the main author of this tradition.

Isn't Michael Kelley involved with the draconian tradition?

RedDragon94

Oh, okay. So, I seem to remember I heard from a guy named E.A. Koetting that older deities are more powerful. You think that's true?

RedDragon94

I don't find vampires particularly Satanic or LHP tbh. Although in some mythos they can be really cool. A thing to me is you can't really refer to a character RHP or LHP unless there is a religion or tradition to put their beliefs and practice in context of in the story. They don't exist as designations on their own, in which case they "just are".
Hmmm, so not all evil is personified as left handed?

Liu

I prefer werewolves, too, simply in regards to aesthetics, but I see how either could be seen as fitting to the LHP.

The issue with vampyrism is that it implies an addiction, a dependance on other beings, which is something most LHPers would try to avoid. The kind of spiritual vampyrism I so far read/heard about (mostly by one V.K. Jehannum) however seems to simply be the concept of taking spiritual energy from other humans, without that leading to any addiction.

Werewolves as a concept actually seem pretty RHP to me, now that I think of it. They symbolize the suppression of a bestial nature which then nevertheless overwhelms one once a month. However, if instead of an involutary, forced transformation one rather tries such intentionally (or at least semi-intentionally in order to come to better terms with parts of one's subconscious), then also that sounds like a worthwhile LHP practice and would then probably be called spiritual lycanthropy. From what I read about it so far (which isn't much), it works basically like an invocation or intentional possession.

The definitions of left and right handed are so manifold... A main difference I would see is not how "evil" or whatever one is, but where one puts one's authority in regards to spiritual and moral questions - outside or inside of oneself.
Draconian seems to mean harsh due to an ancient Greek law maker of the name Draco who made rather harsh laws.

From my impression it nearly always refers to dragons in occultism.

Oh, okay. So, I seem to remember I heard from a guy named E.A. Koetting that older deities are more powerful. You think that's true?
I can't tell for sure how trustworthy his stuff is (I heard both opinions from occutists I'd trust more, but more positive opinions), just, he is very very commercial, so some of the things he says he only seems to say to get your money. If you keep that in mind, his vids are fine (if sometimes rather cringeworthty).

Regarding whether older entities are more powerful; I see several reasons why it could be (more people who work with them; them being more experienced; them having accomplished remaining in popular memory for such a long time;...) but I don't know. And who knows, maybe also some "new" deities are just old ones under another name?

Isn't Michael Kelley involved with the draconian tradition?
Yes. I've read stuff by him, but none by Asenath Mason so far.

Kapalika

Premium Member

Why would it be? An example is totalitarian regimes with very strict rules and little freedom of expression and don't value individualism or going against the status quo or norm as per law. North Korea is the most extreme example alive today, but others have existed throughout the ages. Although I would caution against the word "evil" it's apt here.

To many (but not all) Satanists the "Right Hand Path" is evil, and to many (but not all) on the Right Hand Path the LHP is "evil" or at least "black magic" or lunacy. To more neutral position it would appear that the capacity for good or ill is equal in both types of path. If we want to call something evil, to most people there is going to be a strong implication of a desire to cause malicious harm to others or at least selfishness without regard.

RedDragon94

Why would it be? An example is totalitarian regimes with very strict rules and little freedom of expression and don't value individualism or going against the status quo or norm as per law. North Korea is the most extreme example alive today, but others have existed throughout the ages. Although I would caution against the word "evil" it's apt here.

To many (but not all) Satanists the "Right Hand Path" is evil, and to many (but not all) on the Right Hand Path the LHP is "evil" or at least "black magic" or lunacy. To more neutral position it would appear that the capacity for good or ill is equal in both types of path. If we want to call something evil, to most people there is going to be a strong implication of a desire to cause malicious harm to others or at least selfishness without regard.
Yes, good and evil and both useful. I love the line in the Satanic Bible that says because the Satanist is honest about his capacity to feel hatred he is considered hateful. The RHP compartmentalizes everything in one of two boxes, good or evil.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I would personally rather be a werewolf if I could chose but vampires are good. I prefer Rice's vampires, though. However, the Goddess I worship is really quite vampiric as She feeds on both life and death. Spiritual vampires bore me. I prefer the blood drinkers.

VioletVortex

I 'read' it for a school project, what I read, I found quite enjoyable. I don't think it relates directly to the LHP, but there is a purely aesthetic connection.