1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured LHP: Is a community needed??

Discussion in 'Religions Q&A' started by dybmh, Nov 8, 2022.

1. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,836
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    Those are a popular definition and matching perspective, but they do not make a whole lot of sense outside of specific communities (far as I know, only those shaped by Abrahamic expectations).

Religiosity can and often does benefit from connection to groups, organized or otherwise. But that is not a requirement.

So why do I attribute those expectations to Abrahamic culture? Because they are big on telling adherents what they should believe in and how they should behave, while others favor learning and expressing certain traditions in a more personalized manner.

Being religious is not and can never be a binary; dividing people between "religious" and "non-religious" will always be an arbitrary call. But it is not always a very meaningful call to make.

A main exception are the Abrahamics, which tend to expect a lot of demonstrable, very visible display of commitment and respect towards the specific organizations and creeds regardless of actual personal vocations.

That may well be a main reason why SBNR is a thing in the first place. Those environments create a sometimes very sharp contrast between religiosity proper and adherence to the expectations of the institution or community.

#21 LuisDantas, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. CharmingOwl

CharmingOwl Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Religion:
    Lavenderism / Kamichakra
    I think the person saying community is required is just projecting their own faith onto others. Left Hand Path is not a religion that requires you to go to a building every sunday. You can be the last person alive worshipping some obscure gods, but as long as you practice it it's a religion regardless of any community or other people.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +15,492
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    It is a 'path' in search of 'truth'. Can belong to any religion. Religions other than Hinduism also have it.

4. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,669
    Religion:
    None
    I'm a left handed person

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,043
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    Nope. I'm non-religious and don't have a faith.

As I already said in this thread and the last one:

"Community" doesn't have to mean "the group of people who I meet with weekly in the same physical space."

In that case, you would be the last remnant of a community.

There's a bit of weird semantic nuance in the question of how small a religious - or geographic - community has to be before it no longer counts as a "community," kind of like how there's nuance in how many raindrops have to hit you before you qualify as "wet", but this doesn't invalidate the concepts of "wet" or "community."

6. Heyo

Heyo Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,046
    Religion:
    none
    Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism are big on organization, the Pagan religions of Mesopotamia, Egypt and South and Meso America were also. Everywhere we find ancient high cultures we also find highly organized and ritualized cults, that's what I call religion.
    We don't see it in the same way in nomadic or small community tribes.
    Even when we look at the reality of the Abrahamic tradition, we see unorganized polytheism that only had been ret-conned after prolonged contact with a high civilization.

7. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Putting myself in the shoes of the opposition, the claim they are making is "Where did the rituals, structure, and codification come from? It must be from a community past or present."

My response is teacher to student lineage is not a community. Syncretic practice collected from many sources is not a community.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Havent you been saying a community connection is *required* for someone to be practicing a religion?

The only thing required in LHP is personal freedom. The idea that anything else is required is simply wrong. That's the point of this thread.

9. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Yes, you've posted this video in the past, thank you.

If I understand, the underlying principle Mr. Cambell is presenting is LHP is non-conformist? Therefore a community is not required to practice?

10. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,043
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    No.

For someone who's putting as much effort as you are into replying to my posts and spinning them off into new threads, it might help for you to take enough time to read and actually understand what you're replying to.

No, you're thinking of libertarianism.

11. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    A solitary pagan practicing syncretism is not reliant on a community.

12. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    A religious hermit does not require others and is also not mentally ill.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    A religion passed on teacher-to-student, a lineage, is not a community. Too small. It's not a "body of persons" per your definition of community provided. It's a "pair".

• Like Like x 1
  14. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Here's a pretty good article describing the historic and current state of Daoist Hermit cultivation in isolation. In one of the stories, a master developed their own healing techniques using mediation and cultivation, no community required. In another story, the hermit was taught by a teacher ( no community ) and practiced in solitude with major reported health benefits. Even if the story is not true, the point is that a religion was practiced solo without connection to a community.

Modern Chinese Hermits

15. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Simply not true. LHP is commited to personal freedom. Listen to the LHP folks who are replying.

16. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    Sounds like a 180 degree flip-flop. But OK.
    Here's what you said ^^. If a religion does not require a community ( which is what you said ) - then religion cannot be defined in terms of community ( which is also what you said ).

17. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,043
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    If they're following in some established tradition, then they are.

If they aren't following in an established tradition - i.e. they authored their belief system from whole cloth - why call them "Pagan"?

18. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,043
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    If you think it does, it's because you haven't understood what I've been saying.

19. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +25,043
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    That's an aspect of the left-hand path, sure.

...but ask yourself what differentiates LHP religions from other belief systems and ideologies that advocate "freedom". That difference is where you'll find community.

... if you bother to reflect a bit before you respond this time, that is.

20. dybmh

dybmh Terminal Optimist

Ratings:
    +8,815
    Religion:
    Judaism
    @9-10ths_Penguin , The point of this thread is to collect the point of view from other LHP practioners regarding whether or not a community is required. It seems as if you do not value these points of view deeming yours to be superior. It's simply ignorance combined with arrogance.