• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LHP and RHP

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
This thread has pretty much been done before, trying to define LHP and RHP. But I am not looking for some objective definition, I wish to know how each of us individually defines these terms. I have a friend who is curious about how we LHPers specifically define these terms. Let's not debate each others definitions this time around. Perhaps if it turns out well, visitors to the DIR will have this to reference.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
As far as I perceive:

Right Hand Path is to serve something hire than you, or to put some being before you, and having a 'god'.

Left Hand Path is to serve yourself, independent learning, live for yourself and not have another live for you, worship, hail, or serve nothing.

That's part of the reason I don't include Theistic Satanism as an LHP religion.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As far as I perceive:

Right Hand Path is to serve something hire than you, or to put some being before you, and having a 'god'.

Left Hand Path is to serve yourself, independent learning, live for yourself and not have another live for you, worship, hail, or serve nothing.
Wouldn't that make pan(en)theism LHP?

The Sum of Awe

Wouldn't that make pan(en)theism LHP?

To me, it depends whether you put the panentheist God before you. Surely even some atheists can be RHP, putting kings and such before them. So it really depends IMO :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
To me, it depends whether you put the panentheist God before you. Surely even some atheists can be RHP, putting kings and such before them. So it really depends IMO :)
Well, like theists, we're too diverse to make a definitive statement, but neither I nor any of my known fellows would regard that as a coherent question to begin with. We are aspects of God, instruments in a symphony.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
This thread has pretty much been done before, trying to define LHP and RHP. But I am not looking for some objective definition, I wish to know how each of us individually defines these terms. I have a friend who is curious about how we LHPers specifically define these terms. Let's not debate each others definitions this time around. Perhaps if it turns out well, visitors to the DIR will have this to reference.
LHP: Heterodoxy, ego-satisfying, will, magick
RHP: Orthodoxy, ego-denying, faith/hope. prayer

Shuddhasattva

RHP = Orthodoxy
LHP = Use of practices deemed immoral by RHP, usually in the context of a radical philosophy that views the individual as god/godlike/potentially (a) god.

Straw Dog

LHP: Heterodoxy, ego-satisfying, will, magick
RHP: Orthodoxy, ego-denying, faith/hope. prayer

An interesting side question would be:

How would the Middle Hand Path be described in relation to this particular dichotomy? I mean, if we went based on the criteria typically used to define the RHP and LHP. Thoughts?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass

How would the Middle Hand Path be described in relation to this particular dichotomy? I mean, if we went based on the criteria typically used to define the RHP and LHP. Thoughts?
MHP? That's a new one for me - though I guess it fits me better than R/L.

Informare

Setian I°
I view the distinction between RHP and LHP in terms of what the goal of the practitioner's soul is. In RHP faiths, the practitioner seeks to have his/her soul dissolve into a higher collective, whether that be nothingness, God (as in the judeo-christian school of thought), nature, the collective souls of the world, etc. In LHP, the practitioner to have his/her soul withdraw from any collective and act separately as it's own supreme arbiter.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I view the distinction between RHP and LHP in terms of what the goal of the practitioner's soul is. In RHP faiths, the practitioner seeks to have his/her soul dissolve into a higher collective, whether that be nothingness, God (as in the judeo-christian school of thought), nature, the collective souls of the world, etc. In LHP, the practitioner to have his/her soul withdraw from any collective and act separately as it's own supreme arbiter.
Interesting take. Rather bleak though, don't you think? I mean, it sounds terribly lonely.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

MHP: Nonconformist (as opposed to the conformism of orthodoxy and the anticonformism of heterodoxy), ego-accepting (neither the extreme of denial or indulgence), (no applicable action. Wu wei?), meditation (maybe? it seems to be the balanced way of dealing with issues).

Straw Dog

MHP: Nonconformist (as opposed to the conformism of orthodoxy and the anticonformism of heterodoxy), ego-accepting (neither the extreme of denial or indulgence), (no applicable action. Wu wei?), meditation (maybe? it seems to be the balanced way of dealing with issues).

Nice. It seems to be getting at a clear description relative to the others.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Is magic necessarily Left?
Well, magic is typically done in LHP groups, just as prayer is typically done in RHP groups. One is enforcing your will and the other is "your will be done". That would leave the MHP to something akin to True Will or amor fati, where your will is that everything happen as it is happening.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, magic is typically done in LHP groups, just as prayer is typically done in RHP groups. One is enforcing your will and the other is "your will be done". That would leave the MHP to something akin to True Will or amor fati, where your will is that everything happen as it is happening.
Well, I know that the LHP typically uses magic. But so do neopagans, and aren't they typically seen as RHP?

The Sum of Awe

What exactly is the Middle Hand Path? All I recognize it from was the Cult of Cthulhu.