• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LHP and Buddhism

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Personally I would say no as far as Zen Buddhism goes.

However the Drukpa Lineage of the Kargyu school in Tibetian Buddhism (including Bon) could be regarded as an exception of which similar comparisons can be made between the two. Arguably a mix in this regard.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Buddhism, as I understand it, is essentially the doctrine that arises from the realization of the principle of interdependent origination.

Vows such as that of pursuing Metta for all beings (in Theravada) or that of Amida Buddha, which is emphasized in Pure Land schools, are very much at odds with the LHP as far as I can tell.

But it is no doubt possible to choose interpretations of even those vows that allow for LHP practice. After all, LHP came into being in the first place, and I don't see how the justifications for its doctrine couldn't have arisen in a Buddhist environment. If anything it would be easier, albeit hopefully at the same time less needed (since LHP is essentially a reaction to perceived lack of personal freedom).

Orias

Left Hand Path
Is it possible to mix these two together? Why or why not?

In my view, I have observed that LHP can consist in every Aspect of Life.

Even the more Right Wing philosophies, there is always a Left part of the Right Wing ;)

Unless of course people are focused to much on marginalizing them.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Does your version of LHP posit an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent creator deity? Does it posit an immortal soul that continues after the death of the body? Does it posit an inherent, independent, fixed eternal existence for anything?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, then ultimately the answer to your OP question is no.

vaguelyhumanoid

IIRC the term "left-hand path" actually comes from Hinduism. Some Hindu groups practiced asceticism and self-denial. Others followed an ecstatic and transgressive path with sexual elements, death imagery, etc - this was called the "left-hand path".

You do have "left-hand path" Buddhism in that original sense, but I don't think the modern Western "left-hand path" (egoist religious movements) would go well with Buddhism.