• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leviticus 23 Holy days

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
There is a long tradition of looking at every word and considering its implications as the choice of no word is random.
When people do this, and they do it well, does it involve comparing verses with the same word in them?

I know it sounds like an obvious question, I'm sorry to bother you with it... but sometimes i come up with some very odd ideas about what the words mean if I start... ummm... questioning the translation and kind of... hoping it means something else.

Do you know what I mean? If so, can you offer any advice?

rosends

When people do this, and they do it well, does it involve comparing verses with the same word in them?

I know it sounds like an obvious question, I'm sorry to bother you with it... but sometimes i come up with some very odd ideas about what the words mean if I start... ummm... questioning the translation and kind of... hoping it means something else.

Do you know what I mean? If so, can you offer any advice?
One of the hermeneutic rules is based in the use of a word in 2 different places, but its application is very specific. We do use our understanding of a word in one place to inform its use elsewhere. The first piece of advice is to read all the things others have already written about a verse. I came up with a question this morning about a word and am still researching whether anyone has pointed out what I saw. Meanwhile, I'm learning all about what others have thought.

Terry Sampson

So, Avodah Zarah 3a: "The Holy One, Blessed be He, says to them ... But even so, I have an easy mitzva to fulfill, and its name is sukka; go and perform it."

Aha! Now THAT I can do.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
One of the hermeneutic rules is based in the use of a word in 2 different places, but its application is very specific. We do use our understanding of a word in one place to inform its use elsewhere. The first piece of advice is to read all the things others have already written about a verse. I came up with a question this morning about a word and am still researching whether anyone has pointed out what I saw. Meanwhile, I'm learning all about what others have thought.
yes... my Hebrew skills limit this a bit. But Thank you. This is very good advice.

If I research "hermeneutic rules" online do think it will be difficult to find accurate info?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So, Avodah Zarah 3a: "The Holy One, Blessed be He, says to them ... But even so, I have an easy mitzva to fulfill, and its name is sukka; go and perform it."

Aha! Now THAT I can do.
Please refer to my attached pictures ( post 151 ) and build one that is wind proof. Also... location is key..

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Please refer to my attached pictures ( post 151 ) and build one that is wind proof. Also... location is key..
Aren't Chabad handing them out free these days?

yMgX10251363.jpg

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Aren't Chabad handing them out free these days?

yMgX10251363.jpg
The boys or the bikes? But yes, they were at my daughter's high school helping people wave the lulav and handing out snacks. I love snacks.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Sucker for sukkah, eh?
Oh I should mention there is an aura of inclusion that surrounds the holiday of Sukkot. I'm quite sure I have read opinion that it's for everyone... not just Jewish people... I can search for that and send it via PM when I find it if you want?

I'm not sure the practical application of this idea or if it's halachic, midrashic, or just some dude's opinion... all I remember is reading about the concept and liking it. Naturally.... :cool:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I should mention there is an aura of inclusion that surrounds the holiday of Sukkot. I'm quite sure I have read opinion that it's for everyone... not just Jewish people... I can search for that and send it via PM when I find it if you want?

I'm not sure the practical application of this idea or if it's halachic, midrashic, or just some dude's opinion... all I remember is reading about the concept and liking it. Naturally.... :cool:
One related idea is that in sukkot there were sacrifices in the temple that represented the world's nations.