• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leviticus 23 Holy days

roberto

'Yisra'el' not 'Isra'el' :) See what I mean... in my mind. Isra'el is totally different than Yisra'el. Techically, the word in the verse is not Israel, it's Yisrael... That's the type of nut-baggery that can happen in my brain if I get hung up staring at the words too closely.

Vayikra - Leviticus - Chapter 23 (Parshah Emor)

Vayikra - Leviticus - Chapter 23

42For a seven day period you shall live in booths. Every resident among the Israelites shall live in booths,
resident: Heb. הָאֶזְרָח, [lit., “the resident.” The definite article here] signifies a resident [of the people of Israel, namely, a native Jew. Therefore, the next seemingly superfluous expression, namely,]
among the Israelites: Comes to include converts [in this commandment]. — [Sukkah 28b]

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Yes, but it is important to remember that these rules are for the derivation of laws. Similar techniques are used to derive meaning but the application-rules re not identical.
I could still use some direction on where to read more / begin learning about the "hermeneutic rules" if you are so inclined.

Thank you,

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש