• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leviticus 23 Holy days

roberto

Would it not be nice to be able to determine when these days fall/start on the Gregorian calendar ?

Ever wonder how our Jewish brethren accomplish this?

Lev 23:1 The LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
Lev 23:2 “Speak to the children of Israel, and tell them, ‘The set feasts of the LORD, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my set feasts.

Lev 23:5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month in the evening, is the LORD’s Passover.
Lev 23:6 On the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread to the LORD....
Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread.
Lev 23:7 In the first day you shall have a holy convocation. You shall do no regular work.(Sabbath)
Lev 23:8 .............................. In the seventh day is a holy convocation: you shall do no regular work.(Sabbath)

Now how does one start?

lostwanderingsoul

Christians were so anti Jew that they changed everything just to be different. The problem is that God never changed anything. So Christians were not only anti Jew they were also anti God.

rosends

Would it not be nice to be able to determine when these days fall/start on the Gregorian calendar ?

Lev 23:2 “Speak to the children of Israel, and tell them, ‘The set feasts of the LORD, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my set feasts.

Lev 23:5 In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month in the evening, is the LORD’s Passover.
Lev 23:6 On the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread to the LORD....
Lev 23:7 In the first day you shall have a holy convocation. You shall do no regular work.(Sabbath)
Lev 23:8 .............................. In the seventh day is a holy convocation: you shall do no regular work.(Sabbath)

Now how does one start?
You could just look up a calendar on a site like chabad.org or look at Jewish Calendar 5780 | Hebcal Jewish Calendar

By the way, why file this under biblical debates?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Now how does one start?

Hebcal.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In case this is a serious question. I know it's google, but...

I literally type in "Passover 2020" and this is what I get:

upload_2019-11-27_8-3-1.png

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Now how does one start?
I'm not sure what you're looking for. What do you mean by "start" in this context?

roberto

You could just look up a calendar on a site like chabad.org or look at Jewish Calendar 5780 | Hebcal Jewish Calendar

By the way, why file this under biblical debates?
rosends, yes one could just use the internet.

That is why I said; "would it not be nice" to know how it is determined.

That is the problem today......every-one just believes the priest instead of searching/doing by oneself.

Lets say you were in the bush(greater exodus), no electricity, no computer, no cellphone coverage.....

How would one go about it?

First of all you would have to determine Equinox day....., how would you do that in the bush.
Then one would have to determine New-moon day/time......, how would you do that in the bush?

That is what makes our Fathers holy days so interesting.

Imagine a project like that with your kids :)

rosends

rosends, yes one could just use the internet.

That is why I said; "would it not be nice" to know how it is determined.

That is the problem today......every-one just believes the priest instead of searching/doing by oneself.

Lets say you were in the bush(greater exodus), no electricity, no computer, no cellphone coverage.....

How would one go about it?

First of all you would have to determine Equinox day....., how would you do that in the bush.
Then one would have to determine New-moon day/time......, how would you do that in the bush?

That is what makes our Fathers holy days so interesting.

Imagine a project like that with your kids :)
Well, I would start by realizing that I had the biblical text with me. If I was a believer in Judaism, I would make sure to have access to other Judaic texts (if not a communal leader).

Could I keep track of the precise moments of sunrise and sunset, and the progress of the waxing and waning moon cycles? Sure, but how would I know which is the "first" month without a tradition. And once I had a tradition, the rest would fall into place.

Some light reading
The Aleph Society- Let My People Know

roberto

The word Sabbath or any word bearing it's root are not in those verses.

Yes thank you Tumah, I'm not as clued up as you Jewish guys, But I tried to indicate to our Guys here in the Nations that it basically means Sabbath as in a Yearly Sabbath that is why I placed it in blue.

But please feel free to help/indicate what "you shall do no regular work." mean

roberto

I'm not sure what you're looking for. What do you mean by "start" in this context?

metis, To figure out where on the Gregorian calendar the "start/first-day" of the holy day begins, one has to figure out where in the year(2020) the equinox day falls.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
metis, To figure out where on the Gregorian calendar the "start/first-day" of the holy day begins, one has to figure out where in the year(2020) the equinox day falls.
The Gregorian calendar uses different start/stop times than the Hebrew Calendar, plus the years are very different. Today, it's no really that difficult in most cases to figure out how one can be converted into the other.