• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Letters of Paul

outhouse

Atheistically
FREE online course from Harvard on Pauls letters starting 1/6/14

Anyone who wishes to understand some of the cultural anthorpology surrounding the time of Paul, and who woshed to understand these Epistles better should not hesitate in this free education.

Im in, and going for the certificate.

https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-hds1544-1x-early-christianity-927

The letters of Paul are the earliest texts in the Christian scriptures, written by a Jew at a time when the word “Christian” hadn’t yet been coined. What is the religious and political context into which they emerged? How were they first interpreted? How and why do they make such an enormous impact in Christian communities and in politics today?
Archaeological materials and ancient writings will help you to enter the ancient Mediterranean world and to think about religious groups, power, poverty, health, and the lives of elites and slaves in the Roman Empire. We’ll explore how immediately controversial these letters were, and how these letters are used today to debate relations between Christians and Jews; issues such as love, law, and grace; and topics such as charismatic Christianity, homosexuality, and women’s religious leadership.

Whether you’ve been studying Paul’s letters for years or are merely curious about what Christian scriptures are, this course will provide you with information to deepen your understanding of the ancient contexts and present-day controversies about these texts.
Before your course starts, try the new edX Demo where you can explore the fun, interactive learning environment and virtual labs. Learn more

Sees

Dragonslayer
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I know some people that will be bananas over this.

Look forward to hearing about your experience and thoughts during or after the course. Would be interesting to see what people of differing beliefs and philosophy take away from the material.

If I can pick a replacement pc/laptop I might jump in :D

outhouse

Atheistically
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I know some people that will be bananas over this.

Look forward to hearing about your experience and thoughts during or after the course. Would be interesting to see what people of differing beliefs and philosophy take away from the material.

If I can pick a replacement pc/laptop I might jump in :D

This is a sticky they hid here in a obscure location, that should be more public.

Yales online YT vids as a NT course by Dale B Martin.

Introduction to New Testament History and Literature (Yale, RLST 152); 26-lecture course by Dale B. Martin | Virtual Professors

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Paul is the typical self-absorbed and superb philosopher who likes using a refined and academic language just because he's so full of himself and likes to brag about his rhetoric skills.

I've met so many people like that at college.
people who were envious of me, because I prefer to use a simple language with great meaning.

Simplelogic

Paul is the typical self-absorbed and superb philosopher who likes using a refined and academic language just because he's so full of himself and likes to brag about his rhetoric skills.

I've met so many people like that at college.
people who were envious of me, because I prefer to use a simple language with great meaning.

Sometimes, as though he knew he should be ashamed of challenging the stature of Yahshua's 12, he would preface his boast with a statement of unworthiness. No doubt he hoped people would embrace him as the greatest of apostles because he was so humble.

"For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all...". 1Corinthians 15:9,10
Paul the false apostle