• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

letter kaf

ametist

Hello, I want to make an intellectual search on 'kaf'. my request from fellow muslim forumers to give me sources on arabic letter kaf and its any relation with holy Quran. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Bismillah

Submit
Salaam alaikum (peace be upon you),

This is an interesting question, could I ask what prompted you to ask?

Am I correct when you say kaf you mean this letter? ك

From my, limited understanding, it is a letter of the Arabic alphabet and appears throughout the Qur'an such as in this word الْكِتَابُ meaning book

The letter also appears among the disjoined letters of the Qur'an which precede a number of surahs such as the following at the start of Surat Maryam

19_1.png

Kaf, Ha, Ya, 'Ayn, Sad correspondingly.

The meaning of these letters is for Allah alone, if you're interested here's an informative article on the subject

Also a good lecture on the first instance of these disjoined letters

[youtube]gWJnc4J9x1s[/youtube]
The Meaning of Alif, Lam, Meem - Nouman Ali Khan - YouTube

As for anything else specifically related to Kaf I'm not a linguist nor well versed to explain such a topic though I am aware of a tradition attributed to another letter the ba as well as the nukta (dot)

On that note, Imam ‘Ali (AS) testifies: "Know that all the wisdom of the Heavenly Scriptures are in The Qur'an and whatever is in The Qur'an is in the Fatiha (Suratul Hamd) and whatever is in Fatiha is in Bismillah and whatever is in Bismillah is in the ‘Ba’ of Bismillah and whatever is in the ‘Ba’ of Bismillah is encapsulated in the dot under ‘Ba’; and I am that dot under ‘Ba’." (Yanabee’ Al Mawadda)

Which is part of a further understanding of the significance and vastness of such terms in the following post
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/151318-exegis-basmala.html#post3419767

I hope others can add their knowledge here as well.

ametist

Peace be upon you, :)
The sources you provided are very helpful and I believe they can lead me on, I will look into them all bit by bit. I dont feel very comfortable with explaining my reasons for my search but I am very much inclined for it. I had heard about 'ba' and dot, thanks for reminding, thanks also for your time and for caring even about others' contribution, so very kind of you. :)

ametist

Peace be upon you, :)
The sources you provided are very helpful and I believe they can lead me on, I will look into them all bit by bit. I dont feel very comfortable with explaining my reasons for my search but I am very much inclined for it. I had heard about 'ba' and dot, thanks for reminding, thanks also for your time and for caring even about others' contribution, so very kind of you. :)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello my friend :D

Wait until you hear about the really complicated letters :)

I'm an Arab (not so many of us here) and I know very well how difficult Arabic is!

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
The Good thing about Arabic language is that it has rules...
Once you learn the rules it became easy...

That's is why the most renowned Arabic linguistic was not an Arab...I mean Sibaweih سيبويه

BTW, I am native Arab