• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Teach Religion To Teens In Public Schools

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not any particular religion, but simply religion in general. Should room be made in the public high school curriculum for a class on religion, focusing on either the different world religions and/or the nature of religion itself?

WHY?
WHY NOT?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The development or basis of religions would be interesting I think.

The development of tribal, polytheistic, monotheistic, animatistic gods or deities. their relationship to the development of various culture types.

Religion as it relates to anthropology.

siti

Religious studies was a compulsory in the state secondary school I attended in England in the 1970s. We were taught comparative religion and studied the history and basics of Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and Christianity - there wasn't much depth to any of it as I recall, but I found it mildly interesting. Forgot most of what I learned though and had to go right back to the beginning when I started taking other religions seriously - as a topic to study I mean. But I definitely think it should be taught - it has been and remains such a huge part of the human psyche.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I took a class in World Religions in High School. It was an elective course, not mandatory. I wonder if they still have this? Sounds like a good idea to me, but some people nowadays might get all touchy on how things are presented.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given the central role of religion in various aspects of history, religion should be taught as part of history. Reading Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural comment about religion and slavery, for example, is helped by knowing how the Bible was used on both sides of the Civil War.

There could also be a "Religions of the World" course covering not only current religions, large and small, and atheism, but also traditional and historical religious beliefs. A discussion of cults would also be helpful.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I'd have to say no. It's probably still touched on in history and literature which can begin the broadening of minds, but truly there's not enough time to devote to it for sustainable benefits.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I think religion should be taught on the grounds that it develops one's spirituality and/or self. Yes religions have lots of rules, but that shouldn't be the core of what a religion is about and its teaching.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not any particular religion, but simply religion in general. Should room be made in the public high school curriculum for a class on religion, focusing on either the different world religions and/or the nature of religion itself?

WHY?
WHY NOT?

On balance, I would say no.

1) for something to be added to the curriculum, something needs to be removed. Whilst I see learning about religions as valuable (and interesting, personally), I'm unsure what I'd remove.

2) More than most areas, it seems open to personal bias in terms of how it's taught.

3) people's understanding of religions is pretty awful (generally) and teachers (believe it or not) are people. I could see it causing as much harm/confusion as benefit. Like how looking at foreign countries seems like a good idea until you realise Holland is actually not a country, and not all Dutch folk wear wooden shoes.

But I like the idea of kids learning about religions.

David T

Premium Member

WHY?
WHY NOT?

sure why not, one more idiotic waste of time class can't hurt can it? Now if the kids want to actually form a religious studies class that's different, but an actual class please....

BSM1

What? Me worry?

WHY?
WHY NOT?

Not no, but Hell no...It would be extremely hard to stay objective as a teacher, IMHO.

Sundance

Premium Member

WHY?
WHY NOT?

I absolutely encourage the study of different world religions! With the world becoming ever smaller, we have many a wonderful opportunity to learn about the very beautifully diverse ways of believing! My junior high school in the sixth grade had a World Cultures course in which we did learn about different religions. It made me quite the open-minded person and greatly increased my appreciation for the similarities and differences in religions other than my own.

Teens and younger children (who are naturally inquisitive) ought to be encouraged also to explore their own ways of understanding of the world. Classes such as these can do this, most assuredly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

WHY?
WHY NOT?

No.
There are valuable things to teach, which are being ignored....
The business world.
Managing one's finances.
The dangers of dating, boinking, & marrying.
Trades....wood shop, metal shop, appliance repair, construction

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No.
There are valuable things to teach, which are being ignored....
The business world.
Managing one's finances.
The dangers of dating, boinking, & marrying.
Trades....wood shop, metal shop, appliance repair, construction

Car management, ... registration, insurance, timing of oil changes
Punctuality to work
Tact
Medical rights, dealing with doctors
Writing a will, organizing a funeral

Just so many life skills never talked about.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I have to agree with others here that there are far more important subjects, those dealing with life preparedness issues, that need attending to. While it might be interesting to know how Buddhism differs from Taoism, or the various concepts of god and evil, they are incidental to one's preparation for life, which I feel is the goal of education. Does a class help one become better equipped to face life's challenges and be a contributing citizen? Because I don't see knowledge of religions or theology meeting these criteria, I say, don't waste time on them. If a religion has played a significant role at some point in history it will be covered in a history class. If a religion is involved in a recent development in world politics should be covered in a civics or political science class. And if one feels the study of theology, the metaphysical branch of philosophy, involved, in part, in looking at the god concept should be given time, I suggest that time would be far better spent on philosophical subjects such as logic, rationality, and critical analysis.

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i

I think in the context of studying civilizations it would be appropriate. In order to understand world history a proper introduction to religions would be appropriate and even necessary. If the subject is U.S. history some understanding of Puritanism and the Pilgrims would seem appropriate. Jonathan Edwards preaching ... or the anti-slavery movement... the Jefferson's view of religious liberty. If you're studying ancient Greece a knowledge of Greek mythology and sacrifices would seem appropriate.

LionLooking

Let's Teach Religion To Teens In Public Schools
We already do.
I'm sorry, American language can cause misunderstandings to us British. By public schools I presume that you mean (what we would call) state schools?
RE is a compulsory subject in England's state schools from the age of 5 to 16 (although, parents can opt to remove their child from certain lessons if they wish).
This gives British children an understanding (albeit, quite basic) of all the major religions which helps them to get along with each other.
Under no circumstances should one particular religion be given precidence and taught as if it was true.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Are Americans really this dense? Religious studies is compulsory in all UK schools to teach us understanding and respect. Jesus I didn't know that the U.S. is this bad.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

WHY?
WHY NOT?.

Yep............. good idea.
Why? Religions and the history of religions is part of Mankind's present and past motivational forces.

You could call it 'Theology' on the Lesson Plan?