• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk Sugar

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I've been chunking down sweet stuff for a long time
and now that I'm 63....maybe a change should take over

if you are diabetic.....what clued you in?
when did you realize the problem?

or did the doctor surprise you?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm not anti-sugar. I just don't use sugar in any of my cooking. It's a holdover from my days experimenting with macrobiotic cooking. Macrobiotic diet - Wikipedia

If you can imagine it, I don't really like sweet stuff. Gimme a lime any day!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sugar is emerging as a major health impactor; altering gut flora, promoting diabetes, &c.
Thankfully, many are becoming more food conscious.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I see sucrose as being in a category with alcohol and tobacco.

Modest amounts, judiciously applied, are life enhancing pleasures. But they all tend to influence behavior towards increased consumption until the consumption is unhealthy. And humans aren't really all that perceptive or rational. We tend to choose more due to habit or instinct than make free and rational decisions.
Tom

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sugar is emerging as a major health impactor; altering gut flora, promoting diabetes, &c.
Thankfully, many are becoming more food conscious.
Had major blood tests a few weeks ago and everything came up just spiffy, but one thing. My GP said that my "bad" Cholesterol was "unusually" low, as was my "good" Cholesterol, but that I definitely did not have diabetes. Also, my blood platelets were very low last time I was tested (6 years ago) but now are almost double what they were. He seemed quite pleased about that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We don't have it in the house. My Dad was staying here, and he put salt in his coffee one early morning. But the trend, at least here in Canuckistan, is improving. Large groceries used to have an entire row devoted to pop. Now it's substantially less, with some non-sugar excellent drinks. I see water as becoming a drink of choice. I get all my sugar from fruit, and even that may be too much, especially the dried stuff.

Ellen Brown

At 72, and Pre-Diabetic in the past, my opinion is that one should avoid sugar when possible. Read the labels and buy the product with least sugar and most fiber. They've renamed "High Fructose Corn Syrup" so they can sneak it in. I use a little dark brown sugar in my coffee. Are you lactose intolerant? That's a common issue in olds.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Not a diabetic but I know people who are, swerve is probably the best replacement with no weird aftertaste like most sugar substitutes and you measure it the same as regular sugar in recipes.
61udDprP6jL._SY450_.jpg

Cooky

Veteran Member

I saw the title. So what do you want to talk about, sweetie?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been told after my most recent blood workup I'm borderline diabetic. I stay away from soft drinks sweetened with HFCS and on the occasion I do have a soft drink, I drink diet.

I'm a coffee and tea drinker. I drink my coffee black (always have) but I do sweeten my tea. For my Earl Grey and Red Rooibos I use Truvia. For my chamomile, I use honey.

I've never been one with a sweet tooth, so I eat sweets only rarely.

Shaul

Premium Member
It is really pretty simple. To enjoy a long life simply refrain from sugar, caffeine, trans fat, starch, tobacco, alcohol, excess salt, sun exposure, illicit drugs, skydiving, hydrated fats, exposure to wet surfaces, carbon monoxide exposure, unprotected sex, germs, bees, dead bodies, un purified water supplies, riots, jay walking, driving too fast, driving to slow, driving too much, mercury contact, reading in poor light, picking your nose, picking someone else’s nose, licking a steak knife, eating meat of unknown provenance, eggs, gun fights, eating lead paint, skiing, surfing, wrestling bears, eating uncooked oysters, running while carrying scissors, living next door to a nuclear power plant, flying, swimming, riding a bicycle, playing football, eating cheese, choking on olive pits, talking while eating, riding elephants, herding cats, spitting into the wind, committing adultery, chewing on glass, humming rap songs, saying “hey everybody, watch this”, tying your shoe laces too tight, arguing with Shaul in RF, being a mime, making snowmen out of toxic waste, playing the accordion, giving birth, eating gelatin, smoking bananas, riding camels, caber tossing (sorry Revoltingest), donuts, donut holes, cologne, constricting underwear, cats, quicksand, trampolines, chewing gum, clapping at a Justin Bieber concert, even going to a Justin Bieber concert, even thinking of going to a Justin Bieber concert, performing alligator dentistry, guessing a lady’s weight, leaning on a splitting reed stick, playing operation, roller skating in mine fields, playing Russian roulette, hunting with Dick Cheney, walking while texting, laughing at a gun fight, drooling while working with high voltage, challenging a thunderstorm to a duel, eating fish, using a stapler, wearing a mullet, weaving spaghetti noodles, playing on freeways, sticking your tongue onto a frozen flag pole, arguing with a man who is carrying a sword, whistling while eating soda crackers, reciting the Gettysburg Address during a swarming of locusts, giving an I.O.U. to a mobster name Guido, tearing warning labels off of mattresses, somersaulting on a bed of nails, and paper cuts.

Simply refrain from these and you will have a long life. But you will still die.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am glad to hear that feeding rats this chemical doesn't give them cancer.
But I am not a rat.
Tom

I've been using it since it was launched 10 years ago and I don't have cancer, if that helps.

Salix,
Not a rat

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't have cancer, if that helps.
Yet.
Don't get me wrong. I don't claim to know how safe these chemicals are.
I just don't trust Dupont or whoever all that much. I sincerely doubt that honest research on the side effects would ever get funded, much less unprofitable results see the light of day.
Tom

Thief

Rogue Theologian
At 72, and Pre-Diabetic in the past, my opinion is that one should avoid sugar when possible. Read the labels and buy the product with least sugar and most fiber. They've renamed "High Fructose Corn Syrup" so they can sneak it in. I use a little dark brown sugar in my coffee. Are you lactose intolerant? That's a common issue in olds.
not intolerant .....however...
lactose is a sugar

I do have ailments....
heel pain
itchy skin
headaches

all seem manageable

but of course.....my body is trying to tell me something