• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's talk about Satan

Akivah

Also ... last year, 25 prominent rabbis from Israel and abroad, for the first time admitted that Jesus was a real person and brought a "double goodness to the world." (Orthodox Rabbis Bring Jesus Home for Christmas).

These are just some of the facts ... for starters.

It would help the facts if you quoted the statement that the Orthodox rabbis wrote and put your fragment above in context.
Orthodox Rabbinic Statement on Christianity | The Center for Jewish–Christian Understanding and Cooperation

Let's read what the rabbi said in section 3 regarding the "double goodness" fragment that you quoted.
Rabbi Jacob Emden wrote that “Jesus brought a double goodness to the world. On the one hand he strengthened the Torah of Moses majestically… and not one of our Sages spoke out more emphatically concerning the immutability of the Torah. On the other hand he removed idols from the nations and obligated them in the seven commandments of Noah so that they would not behave like animals of the field, and instilled them firmly with moral traits.

This rabbi is speaking of the positive attributes that Christianity brought to the world. Nowhere does the rabbi state that jesus is a god.

Later in that same section, the rabbis wrote
Now that the Catholic Church has acknowledged the eternal Covenant between G-d and Israel, we Jews can acknowledge the ongoing constructive validity of Christianity as our partner in world redemption, without any fear that this will be exploited for missionary purposes.

I wonder if the rabbis writings were in vain, since you seem to be posting for missionary purposes.

Flankerl

and if Jesus were walking the earth today, they would crucify Him NOW just as they did then:

No one expects the Roman Empire!

Marching-Legions.jpg

Also ... many of Schneerson's followers claimed that HE was Moshiach - and still do to this day!!
The trouble is, Schneerson did not end all suffering, nor did he bring world peace, so how would he be any different than Jesus Christ, who Judaism claims did not meet those criteria?

Because if one is wrong the other has to be right. It cannot possibly be that both might be wrong.

omega2xx

Satan is a perverted Form, the most "pure" interpretation being the Egyptian god Set. Set is the "devil" in an Osirian, and therefore Christian, Aeon.

Satan has nothing to do with any Egyptian god. Set may be the Egyptian God of evil, but if anything, they got that from the Jews when they were in Bondage.

omega2xx

Xeper means "I Have Come Into Being", or moving forward in terms of self-evolvement.

Thanks

Instead of looking for answers, I prefer the perspective that the answers are looking for me. This is true Satanism - responding to the call of one's own higher potential.

Since the Bible makes Satan evil, how do you address that as an object for worship?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

First, you do not know if Lactantius was a Christian. What he said makes him a false prophet. The earliest Christians did not believe that. It is not in the Teachings of Paul and that is all they had to go by.

I accidently deleted the paragraph I am about to address, so some of it may not apply to what you said. Teh 2 verses you quoted, Romans and Hebrew, is addressed only to Christians, not to everyone, and thatg is not wha the early church believed.

Most of that is true, but Jesus did snot create teh universe. Gen 1:1 is Elohim, God. Jesus wa NEVER choen and you have no real Scriptue that says He was.

Another false doctrine of LDs. Lucifer was an angel, a cherub(Ezk 18:4) Angles are not sons of God, they are not born, they are created.
Whatever you say, dear. When I run across someone as uninformed and closed-minded as you, I see no reason to even bother trying to have a dialogue.

Do you believe Satan is a very real deity, or is Satan just a symbol? It seems to me that monotheism would require the latter, but what's your viewpoint?

Feel free to include other "dark lords" and religious text if you want.
In Buddhism we have a mischievous deity called Mara. Though some might see him as an actual being, I think of him as the inclination within us to do harmful things.

omega2xx

Whatever you say, dear. When I run across someone as uninformed and closed-minded as you, I see no reason to even bother trying to have a dialogue.

IOW, you can't defend what you say. Neither could the leader of the 2 Mormons who use to come to dinner at my house He got mad and walked out in a huff and the 2 men have not returned. It is sad when one can't defend their religion.

Have a nice day.

gurthbruins

My opinion is: Satan in whatever form, all forms and all meanings to all men, is, as idea, or more than that, a reality. All things are from God, or - or rather and - part of the universe God.
Evil is needed as good could not exist without it. If you are a Christian who claims to love your enemies, may I suggest that you love Satan and Hitler, as well as everyone else. I am not a Christian, nevertheless I do.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Satan has nothing to do with any Egyptian god. Set may be the Egyptian God of evil, but if anything, they got that from the Jews when they were in Bondage.

They represent the same thing, but differ in subjective interpretation. To the Egyptians this figure was not evil. Set also dates back into prehistory, long before any even theorized Jewish presence.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
IOW, you can't defend what you say.
Of course I can, but it wouldn't do any good. You are absolutely convinced that you are right, and no amount of evidence would persuade you otherwise. So go right ahead and try to back me into a corner. I know better than to cast my pearls before swine.

Neither could the leader of the 2 Mormons who use to come to dinner at my house He got mad and walked out in a huff and the 2 men have not returned. It is sad when one can't defend their religion.
Oh, so they finally figured you out, huh. Good for them. I was wondering how long it would take them to see through you.

If our spiritual guidance was just from God, then there would be Peace on Earth.
Yes, I think Satan is a reality, but a created angel designed to be good, that later fell to become Satan.
As a spiritual being, he has free will, and could twist love to be lust; desire for more love to become jealousy; and basically, take good things and give a self-serving twist to it.
Satan's tactics:
External isolation + Internal conflict
This model appears in the downfall of individuals, families, clans and nations.

Onyx

Premium Member
Sorry, I forgot you are not a Satanist. What in you deserves to be worshiped? Do you believe in Heaven and hell and an after life?
I don't really believe in an afterlife, but who knows.

My more immediate concern is how I can make the most of what the universe has already entrusted to me. More specifically, conscious self-awareness or the Self (capital S).

I worship myself. I have no desire to worship a god, or to be a god for anyone else.

Last edited:

minorwork

Destroyer of Worlds
Premium Member
Do you believe Satan is a very real deity or is Satan just a symbol? It seems to me that monotheism would require the latter, but what's your viewpoint?

Feel free to include other "dark lords" and religious text if you want.
Survival of my genetic heritage, happened by being able to digitally rate as yes/no, hot/cold, up/down, left/right and any other duality of observable perception or feeling. Only recently has the quantum theory shown the potential of improvement upon that dual nature.

Human experience contains two poles: positive and negative. Guess what; the negative gets blamed for PSED (Pain, Suffering, and Early Death.) Needing a conscious agent ( I don't, but most do) to account for both poles of human experience the good/positive gets the nobler Jesus/God nod and the bad/negative gets the vile Satan/Lucifer/Devil nod. I don't buy intention or even existence of but the perceptions of pleasure and pain to guide me thru life.

But then there is the "no pain, no gain" aspect of life. How do I get closer to Jesus without tempting the Devil? Get rid of the concept of a duality and see both poles of experience as a necessity of living intelligently. "I define [intelligence] as your skill in achieving whatever it is you want to attain in your life within your sociocultural context.by capitalizing on your strengths and compensating for, or correcting your weaknesses.” ~ Robert Sternberg, Cognitive psychologist

I am forced to contend, hopefully intelligently, with my desire to live though it conflicts with my genetic programming to die that the young have enough resources to survive to breeding age. My genes sense I am eating in a way that encourages survival of the young, but I am old, the genes engage the killing programs of diabetes, heart and vascular diseases. If not for death, then no one would have survived. If not for death then cancer would destroy the ability to breed with success.

In all runs the thread of life by the conflict between the opposing forces. REAL perceptions of real pain and suffering as well as REAL joy, elation, and ecstasy.

omega2xx

They represent the same thing, but differ in subjective interpretation. To the Egyptians this figure was not evil. Set also dates back into prehistory, long before any even theorized Jewish presence.

No man-made god predates prehistory. If you want o believe Egyptian myths, be my guest.