• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

let's talk about gardening!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I never would have thought of that. Thanks, guys!

If you try it, bear in mind that it reduces by 4 or 5 to 1. So to get a 1 foot bed of usable stuff, you have to pile on 4-5 feet of organic material. That's a lot! Like, say, your neighbor's neatly bagged autumn leaves for example. The book is Lasagna Gardening, by Pat Someoneitalian.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So veggies are lots of fun to grow, but my real love is my flowers. I'm gradually (emphasize graduuaaaallly) converting my KBG lawn to xeriscaped perennial beds. (Here in Colorado it's all about the xeriscaping. In fact I believe the term was invented here.)

Some things that make me really really happy:

My peony is blooming right now. It's three years old and this is the first year it really looks like something. It has around a dozen hot magenta blooms. I LOVE it.
My clematis is the same. Really taking off finally. It also has around a dozen blooms on it right now. It's on this frame deal that sort of goes around my mailbox, which I think is pretty darn cute. When it gets bigger I'm going to put an arch over the path next to it and let it grow over that, and if I do say so that is just going to ROCK. It's also a dark magenta color.
My redbud tree. Don't you just love them? My kids are still embarrassed about the public Snoopy dance I did when I bought it at the city tree sale. That was also 3-4 years ago. It had a beautiful bloom this April. I guess it's 7 feet tall now.

Well, I could go on and on but I'll let someone else boast about their flowers for a while.

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I fully support public Snoopy dances! I often do this myself.

Something is enjoying my spinach plants. Rather impressive chunks are missing. We have bunnies in the area, so perhaps they think I've created a little salad bar for them. Fortunately, I don't mind sharing. :hearts:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yes, one does have mixed feelings about feeding the bunnies. When it comes to the strawberries, though, that's going too far. Rrrowr.