1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Talk about Abortion

Discussion in 'Catholic DIR' started by ForeverFaithful, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Son Worshiper

Ratings:
    +52
    Religion:
    Traditional Roman Catholicism
    What's the Catholic position on Abortion, the tidbits I have heard seems a bit unsettling (I'm a prolifer just fyi)

is it ture?
    a) You can be excommunicated for supporting openly a candidate who is pro-choice?

b) If you get an abortion even if your life is in danger?

2. Quiddity

Quiddity UndertheInfluenceofGiants

Ratings:
    +1,371
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Without a doubt, it is vehemently pro-life. This is probably an area that Catholics and other Christian denominations work side by side on. :)

a) Bishops now a days are very hesitant to pass down excommuncations; but it does happen. They don't normally do it to your every day Joe (that would be excommunicating dozens every day) but mostly people of influence and that have a dramatic impact on society.

b) Ectopic pregnancy are most notable to cause death in the mother. This is the only allowable situation where the death of the human embryo is unintended and therefore should not weigh on a person's conscience.

3. SaintAugustine

SaintAugustine At the Monastery

Ratings:
    +20
    2319 Every human life, from the moment of conception until death, is sacred because the human person has been willed for its own sake in the image and likeness of the living and holy God.

2322 From its conception, the child has the right to life. Direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, is a "criminal" practice (GS 27 ยง 3), gravely contrary to the moral law. The Church imposes the canonical penalty of excommunication for this crime against human life.

As Quiddity has pointed out...the excommunication part rarely is enforced..the point is clearly made, it's a grave moral sin...one which the church even refers to as criminal.

The Church's view is simple...human life is paramount.

Ironically, Jane Roe...real name Norma McCorvey converted to Christianity and now works for Operation Rescue...

4. Runlikethewind

Runlikethewind Monk in Training

Ratings:
    +110
    Technically the Church doesn't excommunicate people, they excommunicate themselves by their actions. Any official declaration of excommunication on the part of a bishop is merely a recognition of a preexisting reality. Its kind of the same as the canonization process. The Church doesn't "make" saints, its just an official recognition of those believers who are already saints. At least that's the way I understood it. I don't think supporting a pro-choice candidate would constitute a grave enough sin but its complicated. If I supported such a candidate specifically because I agreed with the pro-choice platform and specifically because I wanted to see abortion stay legal then perhaps excommunication would result. If, however, I supported said candidate because of the other issues he or she stood for without really agreeing with the candidates stance on abortion then perhaps something like that could be justified. The same goes with the threat of death. If a woman were told "you need an abortion or you will die" that mitigates the circumstances in such a way that the seriousness of the sin might be lessened. That's how I understand it. I could be wrong.