• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lets solve the school shooting problem

Clizby Wampuscat

It will take time, guns will have to be (say) registered, etc.
But it will correct itself over time.
Why is every car driver licensed but gun owners aren't?
I agree it will take time but it seems many are just resigned to let shootings happen until the long term solution happens. I disagree with that approach.

Insane, only if you are part of the gun lobby. Sensible and progressive to everyone else. In particular to the parents of the dead kids.
You said you would not want an officer at the school and let the shooter have free reign until the police get there. I do think that is an insane idea.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well it is an uphill battle since both parties cannot work together. I am going to start at my local ISD. I am going to the next board meeting to ask them to fund these police officers and a make a case. I downloaded the budget for the district and can see where we can fund the officers. It should be a higher priority other things.

I think this is the direction we can more likely see progress done. On the local level instead of waiting for the federal government to pass gun control laws.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I never said it was a long term solution. But I want a solution to better prevent another shooting this fall. Gun laws are not the answer for that.
But any short-term measures often turn into long-term ones. Do you seriously want schools turned into fortresses?
Ok, how does this help?
Well, looking at the true causes of why the USA has so many issues with such weapons might be a start, and where so many simply refuse to do this - given they are perhaps enamoured with their supposed rights and towards their weapons.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I never said it did, just stating a fact.
But when people keep shouting, "2nd amendment" that is just going to perpetuate the problem.
Face facts, gun control is the answer. Armed guards are not.

Or both are limited answers and better in combination.

Clizby Wampuscat

But any short-term measures often turn into long-term ones. Do you seriously want schools turned into fortresses?
this is not a good reason to not protect kids in the short term. Also, I am not talking about a fortress. There are schools that have armed security guards in the school today. They are not prisons. Using hyperbole is not an argument. What other solution is there to stop an attack next fall?

Well, looking at the true causes of why the USA has so many issues with such weapons might be a start, and where so many simply refuse to do this - given they are perhaps enamoured with their supposed rights and towards their weapons.
this may be true but what I care about now is protecting the kids next school year. We can talk about this after we protect our kids.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
this is not a good reason to not protect kids in the short term. Also, I am not talking about a fortress. There are schools that have armed security guards in the school today. They are not prisons. Using hyperbole is not an argument. What other solution is there to stop an attack next fall?

this may be true but what I care about now is protecting the kids next school year. We can talk about this after we protect our kids.

No, in practice you need a comprise. Some sort of your position and some sort of their position. As long as the sides both play my road or the high road, you all won't get anywhere.

tytlyf

Not Religious
If we had an average of 2 paid trained federal police officers at each school
This doesn't work. The recent school shooting proved this.
The resource officer confronted the shooter before entering a classroom, the officer did nothing.
Police sat outside the school while the shooter was murdering children for an hour.

The Parkland school massacre was another example of a do-nothing resource officer.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
This doesn't work. The recent school shooting proved this.
The resource officer confronted the shooter before entering a classroom, he did not shoot.
Police sat outside the school while the shooter was murdering children for an hour.

The Parkland school massacre was another example of a do-nothing resource officer.

Some links to the recent one, please.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
There are just under 100,000 public schools in the United States. If we had an average of 2 paid trained federal police officers at each school at a cost of $100,000 a piece for training, wages and benefits. We would need $20 billion per year. This is peanuts. In the US budget we have a line item for retooling manufacture facilities of $27B. I say we find the $20B in our budget and add an average of 2 federal trained armed police officers at each school in America.

Why would this be a bad idea? We could pass strong gun laws tomorrow but that will not stop a shooter going into our schools any time soon. We could have trained professional security guards in our schools in months. This is a common sense solution since we will never be able to stop a person from obtaining an illegal gun and shooting kids.

Yes, but for that to work you need officers, who can do this. Forget his political bend and focus on the actual point.

If you don't get it, we can go through it as per standard military tactics, because that is what it boils down to.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The best solution as I see it for the short term is armed police at each school ASAP.
There was an armed security guard at that school but he didn't confront the shooter. It probably was because a pistol is not likely to win over a person with an AR-!% and wearing body armor.
I am looking for a short tern solution, any gun laws we enact will not stop a shooting in the near future.
Well, don't tell the FBI as we have here in the States 120 guns per 100 people, and that's insane.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yeah, but you can't go one to one as to the USA.
Agree, but the US gun laws are broke.
I've not checked this but someone on the radio today said that you are 20 times more likely to have your child killed in the US than the UK.
Tell me again that the US has it right!!!!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Agree, but the US gun laws are broke.
I've not checked this but someone on the radio today said that you are 20 times more likely to have your child killed in the US than the UK.
Tell me again that the US has it right!!!!

Well, no, not in my subjective opinion and not as a fact.