• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lets solve the school shooting problem

Clizby Wampuscat

There are just under 100,000 public schools in the United States. If we had an average of 2 paid trained federal police officers at each school at a cost of $100,000 a piece for training, wages and benefits. We would need $20 billion per year. This is peanuts. In the US budget we have a line item for retooling manufacture facilities of $27B. I say we find the $20B in our budget and add an average of 2 federal trained armed police officers at each school in America.

Why would this be a bad idea? We could pass strong gun laws tomorrow but that will not stop a shooter going into our schools any time soon. We could have trained professional security guards in our schools in months. This is a common sense solution since we will never be able to stop a person from obtaining an illegal gun and shooting kids.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
As a free market advocate, I say privatize the entire school system. Customers would demand that their child’s safety be guaranteed, so private schools would generally have adequate security measures, in theory. The market provides...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There are just under 100,000 public schools in the United States. If we had an average of 2 paid trained federal police officers at each school at a cost of $100,000 a piece for training, wages and benefits. We would need $20 billion per year. This is peanuts. In the US budget we have a line item for retooling manufacture facilities of $27B. I say we find the $20B in our budget and add an average of 2 federal trained armed police officers at each school in America.

Why would this be a bad idea? We could pass strong gun laws tomorrow but that will not stop a shooter going into our schools any time soon. We could have trained professional security guards in our schools in months. This is a common sense solution since we will never be able to stop a person from obtaining an illegal gun and shooting kids.
I'd much rather see a school that dosent look like a prison or a futuristic surveillance centered dystopian institution where people are being rifled and searched on a daily basis.

I'd rather see something like this for starters instuted instead.

Clizby Wampuscat

I'd much rather see a school that dosent look like a prison or a futuristic surveillance centered dystopian institution where people are being rifled and searched on a daily basis.

I'd rather see something like this for starters instuted instead.

I am not advocating for schools to look like prisons. The high schools in my district already have armed police officers. It is just two people with guns.

This handgun is great, however, how does this help the kids in the near future? You say you want to solve the problem but then offer a solution that will not solve it until all the 400 million guns are replaced with this technology. That is not a solution to stop the next school shooting. The only way I see to stop the next shooting is to have trained armed guards at every school. We could do this by the fall if we really wanted to.

Clizby Wampuscat

As a free market advocate, I say privatize the entire school system. Customers would demand that their child’s safety be guaranteed, so private schools would generally have adequate security measures, in theory. The market provides...
Why don't we demand it now? I am going to at the next school board meeting. We should all not put our kids in public school until they get armed guards in them. Look at your school districts budget, I guarantee you can find the money if kids safety is a priority.

RestlessSoul

Just address your gun addiction, America. Until you do that, you'll keep burying your innocents.

As with all addictions, first you have to admit you have a problem. The level of denial is simply staggering, the whole world can see what you, America, refuse to acknowledge.

Clizby Wampuscat

Just address your gun addiction, America. Until you do that, you'll keep burying your innocents.

As with all addictions, first you have to admit you have a problem. The level of denial is simply staggering, the whole world can see what you, America, refuse to acknowledge.
How does this statement help stop the next shooting? It doesn't, just more babbling without any solutions. What should we do to stop the next shooting?

vulcanlogician

I'm all for stopping the next shooting, but doesn't that seem like too insurmountable of a goal? Like, if someone has a good idea to stop three out of the next five shootings, I'm all ears. The next shooting could be anywhere, caused by anything. As sad as it is to say, there will be a next shooting, and we can't change that.

Clizby Wampuscat

I'm all for stopping the next shooting, but doesn't that seem like too insurmountable of a goal? Like, if someone has a good idea to stop three out of the next five shootings, I'm all ears. The next shooting could be anywhere, caused by anything. As sad as it is to say, there will be a next shooting, and we can't change that.
This is why we need armed police officers in our schools full time. This is the best and only short term solution there is. There is no good reason to not try to stop the next shooting. This is going to take leadership the current set of politicians do not have. We must demand it.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
We could also start providing adequate health care which includes better mental health services.

Edited to add: That's not to blame mental illness. But health services provide a community support that is severely lacking in this country, and this could help in tackling the issue.

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

Get rid of your guns, or at least properly regulate and limit access to them. No guns, no shootings. It really couldn’t be any more simple.
How does this stop the next shooting? This is a long term solution. We have 400 million guns. How do we get rid of them before the next loon wants to shoot kids? I want to protect the kids ASAP, your solution does not do that.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
How does this statement help stop the next shooting? It doesn't, just more babbling without any solutions. What should we do to stop the next shooting?

The problem with your solution is it doesn't solve anything at the fundamental level, because you end up in a rat race of measure and countermeasure. Can't attack a school as easy? Then attack a school bus. You really won't solve anything.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

It seems to me that you are just passing the problem on. How do you determine if one of those apparently protecting the children doesn't go awol (in his/her head), given they have the means to kill others readily at hand. Or that their weapons might be taken off them in some subterfuge. More weapons from the evidence seems to imply more deaths - and perhaps just shifting who is killed rather than the amount going down. Seems many just can't accept that it is the number of weapons in circulation that is the problem, and hence all sorts of other solutions are proposed other than the real one being recognised - and dealt with - as to removing the vast majority in circulation. :oops:

To my mind, the USA has driven into a cul-de-sac with regards owning such weapons and few can see an acceptable way out.

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member

No, no, no

Gun control, not retaliations or arming schools is the answer.

In the UK in 1996 we had the Dunblane school killings.
Dunblane massacre - Wikipedia

Following that, stricter gun controls were imposed ... there have been no more massacres at schools in UK since. Now I realise there could be one tomorrow but if they do what you suggest, there will be more in the states only next time it'll be a shootout with kids caught in the crossfire.

Twilight Hue

I am not advocating for schools to look like prisons. The high schools in my district already have armed police officers. It is just two people with guns.

This handgun is great, however, how does this help the kids in the near future? You say you want to solve the problem but then offer a solution that will not solve it until all the 400 million guns are replaced with this technology. That is not a solution to stop the next school shooting. The only way I see to stop the next shooting is to have trained armed guards at every school. We could do this by the fall if we really wanted to.
I think a simple metal detection setup would suffice. A lot of government institutions have them already as a stop gap measure. It shouldn't be a tremendous headache I think in the interim.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think a simple metal detection setup would suffice. A lot of government institutions have them already as a stop gap measure. It shouldn't be a tremendous headache I think in the interim.

Yes, and then we shift to car bombs and diversey tactics to counter that. You have claim to be a soldier, right? You know that any measure has a countermeasure.

Twilight Hue

Yes, and then we shift to car bombs and diversey tactics to counter that. You have claim to be a soldier, right? You know that any measure has a countermeasure.
That goes in line that gun control won't deter a person on a mission to do harm.

If not guns, then its explosives, if not explosives, it's using their vehicles, if not vehicles, then it's harmful lethal gas..... the list is potentially endless.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That goes in line that gun control won't deter a person on a mission to do harm.

If not guns, then its explosives, if not explosives, it's using their vehicles, if not vehicles, then it's harmful lethal gas..... the list is potentially endless.

Correct, and your solution is anti-freedom. More control by the government. ;)