• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's say that your sacred text is perfectly moral...

ppp

Let's say that you're sacred text is perfectly moral, and all of the prophecies have actually come true in a completely unambiguous matter.

Given that hypothetical, why should anyone believe that a god is responsible, let alone the concept of God particular to your sacred texts?

ppp

What else would there be?
This reminds me of a conversation I has about 2,500 years ago, in the port of Athens...

The Hammercles: Zeus is the cause of lightening.
Policytius: How do you know that?
The Hammercles: What else could it be?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Let me try asking this another way.

Given this scenario set up:

Let's say that you're sacred text is perfectly moral, and all of the prophecies have actually come true in a completely unambiguous matter.

And the fact that Stories are unique to Culture
What else would there be, when you ask this follow up?

Given that hypothetical, why should anyone believe that a god is responsible, let alone the concept of God particular to your sacred texts?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
This reminds me of a conversation I has about 2,500 years ago, in the port of Athens...

The Hammercles: Zeus is the cause of lightening.
Policytius: How do you know that?
The Hammercles: What else could it be?
If you don't mind me asking, how are your knees? Mine are none too clever, and I am only 56.. (BC) just kidding.:D:cool:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Let me try asking this another way.

Given this scenario set up:

Why does a deity with limitless power and knowledge, need to appeal to a particular people in particular place, and even as a monoglot?

I have to say, given different deities are imagined, at different times, and in different cultures, I am dubious that any are real. Especially since there is no objective difference between them.

Theists, you're not in team theist, you're in a competing market place, who has the best most compelling (objective) evidence for the deity they imagine is real?

ppp

I don't see how that question is any different than your last. But let's say that I don't know of anyway that it could happen. Does that mean that any god exists? Does that mean that Zeus throws lightening?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I don't see how that question is any different than your last. But let's say that I don't know of anyway that it could happen. Does that mean that any god exists? Does that mean that Zeus throws lightening?

As a Henotheistic Polytheist, this is precisely my view.

Any/All Gods exist in some form.

ppp

If you don't mind me asking, how are your knees? Mine are none too clever, and I am only 56.. (BC) just kidding.:D:cool:
They were pretty horrible back when I was chilling in Sumer, but then future me came back in time and transferred my consciousness into a gengineered clone. No appendix. Perfect organs. Rerouted that laryngeal nerve. Got rid of that pesky blind spot. And fixed the knees. They are still trying to figure out what to do about my occasional ED. .:D:cool:

Attachments

• clear.png
    clear.png
    137 bytes · Views: 1

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Why does a deity with limitless power and knowledge, need to appeal to a particular people in particular place, and even as a monoglot?

I don't share this view. (Omnipotence/Omniscience).

Especially since there is no objective difference between them.

If you see no difference between deities you aren't looking very hard, and are focusing on superficiality.

Theists, you're not in team theist, you're in a competing market place, who has the best most compelling (objective) evidence for the deity they imagine is real?

Why are you demanding a fight that doesn't have to exist? I am a Polytheist and I have room in my life and Culture for Monotheist, and Atheists, Agnostics and Seekers.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
All the people who try to get me to believe it.

And if you didn't care, why did you engage? Just bored?

That's their problem not yours, eh?

Why pose an OP, if you didn't want engagement? Were you looking for an echo chamber?