• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's not talk about the Big Bang

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Then again, I have seen some here claim dead people can visit humans in their dreams and that they're REAL
1) Do you believe Jesus can come into your dream?
2) Do you believe Jesus is real nowadays?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Just watching a show on cable about astronomy and exploration of space and the possibility scientists say of life out there. (It's so stupid...) So they say they see no signs of life out there, and then wonder if there is life like ours. Imagine that. Life like ours somewhere out there maybe. So it just hasn't "evolved" yet, I suppose. Or maybe these evolved beings look like? a horror being?
No, the issue is that in space the numbers are awful. The mere fact that we have not detected signs of extraterrestrial life is not evidence against its existence, because what we can see is limited, compared to the the scale of the cosmos.

Almost every schoolchild gets this. Why don’t you?

QuestioningMind

So far scientists have found no evidence of life beyond the earth. And especially life that looks like humans. I mean maybe the atoms and molecules will configure together differently, if you believe it all happened by chance force. Or -- maybe these particles will not configure and "become alive" at all.

So far scientists have found no evidence of life beyond the earth. True

And especially life that looks like humans. No one is expecting to find life that 'looks like humans'. When they say life similar to humans they mean CARBON BASED life, which includes ALL life on Earth, not just humans. It's been surmised that it's possible life could evolve that is SILICON BASED.

I mean maybe the atoms and molecules will configure together differently, if you believe it all happened by chance force. It's practically guaranteed that they will evolve in a different manner... but what would be the same is that the life is ALSO carbon based. Of course it's possible that we may discover silicon based life, in which case the life would be completely different that anything found on Earth.

Or -- maybe these particles will not configure and "become alive" at all. That's certainly possible as well. However since life did develop here on Earth and there are billions upon billions of planets in the universe, it's hardly outrageous to hypothesis that it may also have developed elsewhere.

QuestioningMind

Yes, well maybe the planets and stars are alive also. :) (You think?)

MAYBE... but it seems highly unlikely, since there is zero evidence to support such a hypothesis.

Are you really so ignorant about how science works that you think scientists just pull proposed hypothesis out of thin air? You really should educate yourself on how the process works.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
astronomy and exploration of space and the possibility scientists say of life out there. (It's so stupid...) So they say they see no signs of life out there, and then wonder if there is life like ours.
If things like that don't interest you, who can argue?

With things that don't interest me, I tend not to watch 'em. You might like to consider something along those lines.

Ehav4Ever

Just watching a show on cable about astronomy and exploration of space and the possibility scientists say of life out there. (It's so stupid...) So they say they see no signs of life out there, and then wonder if there is life like ours. Imagine that. Life like ours somewhere out there maybe. So it just hasn't "evolved" yet, I suppose. Or maybe these evolved beings look like? a horror being?

The basic issue lies in the area of astrobiology. The question of "IF" there is life in other places in the universe goes back to the question of "What is life?"

For example, if the idea is that "life" is only what is commonly defined as life on this planet - that is a wide range of possibilities BUT it might not be the reality in other parts of the universe. I.e. there may be something(s) in the universe that doesn't need/require what life on this planet requires to survive.

Further, one could face a sitaution where the only life in the universe, outside of this planet, is only microscopic, liquid based/fish like/octopus like, or plant based. Another possibility is that life in another galaxy may not have human type intelligence. Also, one would have to consider that something that might be "alive" may never be recognized by a human as being as being alive and itself not recognize a human as being alive.

There is also the concept of the Fermi Paradox.

Thus, taking all of the above into account: a) life could be a rare commidity in the universe, b) it could be that one time something that a human could consider to be life once existed in some other part of the solar system, galaxy, or universe BUT it went extinct prior to humans ever finding it, or c) it could be that what is on earth is the first of such a thing.

You also get into the idea that something could use a completely different base of techology that would not be recognized by humans and vice versa. An example that I like is the concept of a Dyson Sphere. There are some who postulate that an advanced society would "probably" build such a device to deal with energy needs. The problem though would be that, for all we know, our sun's outer layer may be a Dyson Sphere from an alien civilization that either a) is extinct or b) we have no way to communicate with and we are beneath its gaze, so to speak, that we would never recognize something that is sitting right in front of us.

Another example, is whether one can consider a planet to be a living creature. If so, currently humans don't have the tools to communicate with something on that level. For example, if the earth were a living being humans may be seen like fleas or germs, etc.

An example here is ants and whales. Ants are very advanced in terms of their societies and abilities, but there are a large number of humans who don't consider ants to be advanced, on a human level, and most humans don't try to establish communication/dialogue with them. Whales have very advanced language and communciations skills among themselves, but there is a human consideration that they are limited by their physical form and their environment.

Until humans are able to set foot in environments outside of the earth, if humans ever are able to or get to that point, much of this is speculation in any direction.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The basic issue lies in the area of astrobiology. The question of "IF" there is life in other places in the universe goes back to the question of "What is life?"

For example, if the idea is that "life" is only what is commonly defined as life on this planet - that is a wide range of possibilities BUT it might not be the reality in other parts of the universe. I.e. there may be something(s) in the universe that don't need/require what life on this planet requires to survive.

Further, one could face a sitaution where the only life in the universe, outside of this planet, is only microscopic, liquid based/fish like/octopus like, or plant based. Another possibility is that life in another galaxy may not have human type intelligence. Also, one would have to consider that something that mightbe "alive" may never be recognized by a human as being as being alive and itself not recognize a human as being alive.

There is also the concept of the Fermi Paradox. Thus, a) life could be a rare commidity in the universe, b) it could be that one time something that a human could consider to be life once existed in some other part of the solar system, galaxy, or universe BUT it went extinct prior to humans ever finding it, or c) it could be that what is on earth is the first of such a thing.

You also get into the idea that something to could use a completely different base of techology that would not be recognized by humans and vice versa. An example that I like is the concept of a Dyson Sphere. There are some who postulate that an advanced society would "probably" build such a device to deal with energy needs. The problem though would be that, for all we know, our sun's outer layer may be a Dyson Sphere from an alien civilization that either a) is extinct or b) we have no way to communicate with and we are beneath its gaze, so to speak, that we would never recognize something that is sitting right in front of us.

Another example, is whether one can consider a planet to be a living creature. If so, currently humans don't have the tools to communicate with something on that level. For example, if the earth were a living being humans may be seen like fleas or germs, etc.

An example here is ants and whales. Ants are very advanced in terms of their societies and abilities, but there are a large number of humans who don't consider ants to be advanced, on a human level, and most humans don't try to establish communication/dialogue with them. Whales have very advanced language and communciations skills among themselves, but there is a human consideration that they are limited by their physical form and their environment.

Until humans are able to set foot in environments outside of the earth, if humans ever are able to or get to that point, much of this is speculation in any direction.

The Fermi paradox assumes that other life intelligent life will not only try to communicate with other beings, but succeed at it. That may be a monumental task with no perceivable rewards. If we take intelligent life on Earth as an example it took 4.5 billion years to evolve. It has not existed for even 1% of the Earth's history and the percentage is lower by two or three more orders of magnitude when you factor in how long we could even detect the strongest of signals from other life. I am not saying that the Earth is the norm, but it appears from our sample of one that intelligent life is very rare. Odds are that there is quite a bit of life out there. The amount of intelligent life is going to be a very rare and precious commodity. Unless one took a ship that held stable population interstellar travel won't happen if you cannot somehow go around the distance. The Fermi paradox people perhaps should have talked with some engineers.

And the only planets that we are likely to visit are our own. I love science fiction but unless there is the discovery of a "warp" or some other way we are stuck here.

Dao Hao Now

I am saying that there's a lot of work to be done and improved on this earth, not to spend so much brain power asking and examining if there's life out there.
Is this because you have a fear that life might be found “out there” which might suggest your beliefs are unfounded?

You apparently are unaware of the vast amounts of knowledge and technology, which has greatly improved the quality of life on this planet, that is direct result of the brain power that was spent on the sciences and exploration of space that led to the ever closer possibility that searching for life “out there” has brought to mankind.
Take for example the internet communications that are enabling us to have this very conversation, plus countless others

Again -- it's a waste of brainpower to spend good IQ's to figure if there's life out there.
As compared to the brainpower and good IQ’s which have been wasted in the study of deities and what they are claimed to have said and determining the proper why to worship them?

These deities having arguably less probability of existing compared to life “out there”.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Do you have any idea how big the universe is?
And how little of it we've explored?

To quote Neil deGrass Tyson: "Your statement is the equivalent of taking a scoop of water with a glass from the ocean, not seeing any fish in the glass and then saying that there are no fish in the ocean"

That there is / was / will belife "out there", somewhere in the ~250 billion galaxies, each of which contains 100s of billions of stars, most of which have several planets orbitting them, is a near certainty imo.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Let's be honest. There have been reports by some that spaceships landed on the earth, and "aliens" visited the Pentagon. Some people probably really believe that.

Yes. Plenty of people have little problem with believing rather absurd things. :rolleyes:

Then again, I have seen some here claim dead people can visit humans in their dreams and that they're REAL. So if someone wants to reason that maybe life evolved somewhere else in the universe despite lack of evidence, might as well say that for other things, too.

It's not without evidence that people say that life elsewhere in the universe is likely.
It's in fact based on a lot of evidence.

The same kind of evidence that allows you to predict that ice will be found in other places on the planet other then your backyard in austria - even places you never explored.

You can predict that, because you know what ice is. You know it's a natural occurance and you know that whenever conditions allow it to form, it will form. This is how chemistry and physics works. When conditions are a certain way, stuff happens a certain way in concordance with the rules and laws of chemisitry and physics.

So you know that if temperature drops below a certain level, water will be freezing.

There are many good reasons to assume that the origins of life were chemical.
There are no reasons to assume anything else. Life at bottom is chemical.

It's a simple numbers game.
If it can happen, it eventually will happen.
If there's one chance in 10 million, then it will happen billions and billions of times in a universe with gazillions of planets (trials).

Ehav4Ever

I love science fiction but unless there is the discovery of a "warp" or some other way we are stuck here.

I agree.

upload_2022-9-5_10-30-38.jpeg

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I am saying that there's a lot of work to be done and improved on this earth, not to spend so much brain power asking and examining if there's life out there.

Didn't your science teacher in high school explain to you how exploration of space in fact helps us with science and tech on earth?

To give an easy to get example, Venus is a rocky planet like earth. Difference is that on that planet the green house effect went into overdrive. Now it's so hot that lead melts on the surface.
Studying this planet can teach us a lot about global warming and green house effects. That knowledge would be directly usable for combatting climate change on earth.

Scientific fields are not islands.
The physics on this planet are the same physics as out in space.
The thing is that studying things out in space gives additional information about physics in general.

Information that might not be so easily accessible if we only confine ourselves to our small little backyard bubble that is this planet.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Kindly explain the stupidity. Where does it exist? In science or in your views?
Yeah, there has to be proof of existence of life in places other than Earth, before science can agree to it. Perhaps we will find some evidence on Mars. Science thinks that at one time water existed in Mars. What kind of life - microbial or intelligent, science will go by evidence.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In just the tiny fraction of our own galaxy that our instruments can measure around 4000 exoplanets have been discovered 55 seem to be earth like, possibly capable of producing life. None of these have yet been explored for signs of life, the equipment is not really sensitive enough... But watch this space.

Given that astronomy has only searched a relatively small volume of our own galaxy and none of the trillions of other galaxies i think it's full on arrogance to claim no life exists anywhere else in the universe.

As to whether any life is human like in appearance consider the diversity of life on earth in which less than 0.1% has ever, in 3 (ish) billion years displayed hominoidea appearance, again arrogance to believe such a thing.

And of course, that is only the life we know of... I.e. requiring liquid water

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Evolved, right? Hey maybe they even look like humans? Or cockroaches? Which species, you figure it might be? OK, just thought I'd throw it out there -- sooo stupid...lol...Oh, and maybe there is a liveable place like the earth with ingredients for, um, animals? (again -- uh huh...) lol...OK, have a good time...
"Sooo stupid?" As @icehorse so nicely put it, you've looked at a grain of sand and think you've studied a miles-long beach. Where's the brilliance in that?