1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Let's go over this again, shall we, about chances--

Discussion in 'Evolution Vs. Creationism' started by YoursTrue, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +32,580
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    No. What I am saying is that there is no good reason to believe in a God because there is no way to detect one. Science is simply the way to go about detecting something.

I disagree. There are rules of conduct that lead to better interactions and better societies. Those rule are the ethical rules. No God needed.

And ethics is a human construct as well. That doesn't mean either is unimportant or unreal.

Both are false statements. To be testable by science is precisely the same as simply being testable. Science can, and does , detect the behaviors of humans and what they consider to be ethical and aesthetics.

And, science has no problem figuring out things like how stars come about. Or planets. or various chemicals, etc.

That is not the only reason. But the lack of detectability is a good reason to not believe.

I would disagree. Science has the ability to detect, test, and determine the origin of anything that actually exists.

And I disagree that it is not a scientific question. If God is detectable and testable, it can be found by science. If it cannot be detected or tested, there is no reason to believe it exists at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +32,580
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Because it is testable and repeatable. That's the same way we can know that anything is true.

Once again, it is NOT a presupposition. It is a conclusion based on the same principles I use to determine whether or not anything else exists.

No miracle has ever been observed and tested. Natural science could hypothesize a deity. It just has no need to.

And I disagree. Science is tasked with observation and testing. It has no limitations on what it can hypothesize and only limited in observation and testing by our abilities to detect and test.

And those experiences are investigated. We can even induce OBE artificially. We know that NDE are similar to what is experienced with ketamine, and that a ketamine analog is active during circulatory collapse.

The problem is that the results of the investigations doesn't agree with your beliefs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +32,580
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Show that there is a spirit in a bacterium. Or even, for that matter, a human.

Life *is* a collection of chemical processes. No spirits needed. That is demonstrated by biochemistry, which explains *all* of the basic properties of life with chemistry.

And why is it that science cannot determine the existence of a spirit? What prevents getting actual observational evidence of such things?

ALL matter holds information. Simply being an oxygen atom as opposed to a nitrogen atom is information. The information is in the different properties of the atoms, from size, to ability to bind, to charges, etc. That *is* information.

If the explanation can be done without anything 'outside', then nothing outside is required to explain it.

Nothing outside is required to explain the properties of living things.

And exactly how does postulating a deity help to explain what happened? How does it help to describe the *mechanism* of how life got started?

Yes I know that science cannot attribute anything to God even when no other reasonable answer is there. Speculate until what is hypothesized sounds reasonable enough and justify a faith in naturalism.

And, then, how is it possible to know about it? What, other than observation, hypothesizing, and testing, can be used to determine the properties of spirits and deities?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SkepticThinker

SkepticThinker Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,446
    Faith has no place in science. It's useless. Science is evidence-based.

Why do religionists always try to drag science down to the level of their religion? It's quite telling.

Why do you have faith in the Bible?

• Like Like x 2
  5. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,079
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Science works.

Also, not "faith" required.
    Science has a very empirical and verifiable track record of yielding reliable results.

This is why people who try to build a machine use science to do so instead of asking the gods or spirits or whatever on how to do it.

• Like Like x 5
  6. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,351
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Not a coherent response, and lacks a basic knowledge of the English language to understand the difference between what is faith, and the objective evidence of the nature of our physical existence based on objective evidence.

You also have failed to respond to the basic observable facts that the nature of our physical existence, life, abiogenesis and evolution are not based on chance, randomness or luck. They ares based on observable objective Natural Laws and natural processes determined through science.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Brian2

Brian2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,001
    Religion:
    Christian

Science does not know what life is or if abiogenesis happened or if evolution happened the ways or to the extent that science presumes it did.
    Science does not know that in the exact same conditions on a twin planet in the universe and given the same length of time, that life have begun.

8. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,351
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    As usual your knowledge is over the top appalling, and you are stuck in an ancient mythology thousands of years old. You are no even aware of what science knows and does not know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Astrophile

Astrophile Active Member

Ratings:
    +544
    Religion:
    Atheist
    There are over 1400 species of bats - Bat - Wikipedia - and about 18,500 species of butterflies - Butterfly - Wikipedia . Do you accept that all the living species of bats and butterflies are descended from common ancestors (mammalian ancestors for bats and lepidopteran ancestors for butterflies)? How do you know that bonobos and gorillas are not evolving to different forms of apes?

• Like Like x 1
  10. YoursTrue

YoursTrue Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)

Ratings:
    +1,997
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't know that much about bats, in other words, how many different types there are and if they can interbreed, but I figure bats have a common ancestor bat couple maybe.

11. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +32,580
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    So you allow for a fairly large amount of evolution. Now, how closely are humans related to, say, bonobos as compared to how closely different bats are related?

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,997
    Religion:
    Christian
    I understand the question. Let's stick to bats for a while. Do you know if the different types interbreed?

13. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,351
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Bats are hardly a significant issue in the discussion of evolution. Yes like all similar species in many groups of species, and subspecies of different related animals interbreed. The process is called hyberdization, which is part of the evolution process..

Ineresting reference: List of genetic hybrids - Wikipedia.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +43,475
    Religion:
    Atheist
    And that reminded me of a problem. When it comes to hybridization. There are very few genetically pure American Bison left. There is a large herd in Yellowstone, another in South Dakota, and a few small ones scattered across the country. Genetic diversity is a problem. There are quite a few others, but they all tend to have some cow DNA.

https://www.idtdna.com/pages/commun...mperiled-ruler-of-america-s-iconic-landscapes

15. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,997
    Religion:
    Christian
    If you would be so kind, can you please just talk about bats as far as interbreeding goes? Do bat species interbreed insofar as you know? The link you provided on wikipedia is lengthy, and since you know so much about these things, perhaps you can kindly say yes, bats do interbreed producing a different group, perhaps mentioning what these are insofar as producing different groups, or no, they do not. Thank you.

16. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,351
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Already answered the question and the answer is yes as described. It is not what I know it is simply well documented science..

17. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,351
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Yes this is an example of human caused lack of genetic diversity in an animal species. The lack of genetic diversity in this case sets the species up for extinction,

The survival of populations of related species, subspecies and varieties is dependent on genetic diversity and hybridization to evolve in response to 'survival pf the fittest.'

• Like Like x 1
  18. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,997
    Religion:
    Christian
    Can you at least show a reference to particular distinct but not-quite-the-same bats that have interbred?

19. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,997
    Religion:
    Christian
    What's well documented? That various forms interbreed, or that bats interbreed and the groups are identified? Re: bats -- where is it "well-documented" that the various groups interbreed or have interbred and thus documented? Thank you.

20. YoursTrue

Ratings:
    +1,997
    Religion:
    Christian
    You really do not know how life began.