• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's discuss Schrodinger's cat

Deidre

So, I get that Schrodinger came up with a thought experiment to disprove the common interpretation of quantum mechanics. Some have claimed that it wasn't so much an experiment, as an illustration. Nonetheless, we all know the gist of Schrodinger's cat. But, it isn't that the cat is both dead and alive (that doesn't make sense), it's that the possibility of the cat being dead or alive until one observes its actual state, is what Schrodinger was trying to illustrate?

To3a2L8.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So, I get that Schrodinger came up with a thought experiment to disprove the common interpretation of quantum mechanics. Some have claimed that it wasn't so much an experiment, as an illustration. Nonetheless, we all know the gist of Schrodinger's cat. But, it isn't that the cat is both dead and alive (that doesn't make sense), it's that the possibility of the cat being dead or alive until one observes its actual state, is what Schrodinger was trying to illustrate?

To3a2L8.jpg
Easy. If it's wet. The cat is alive.

If it's dry, the cat is long mummified.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

To3a2L8.jpg
Yes, you have it right. Some people were interpreting the wave function and superposition as real, and it was perhaps easier to think this way because people figured such a thing wouldn't be noticeable macroscopically. The cat is a way to make the absurdity macroscopic. Which is hilarious because, as you've noted, people have long since misinterpreted it to mean that exactly what was being demonstrated to be absurd is supposedly real!

Deidre

Yes, you have it right. Some people were interpreting the wave function and superposition as real, and it was perhaps easier to think this way because people figured such a thing wouldn't be noticeable macroscopically. The cat is a way to make the absurdity macroscopic. Which is hilarious because, as you've noted, people have long since misinterpreted it to mean that exactly what was being demonstrated to be absurd is supposedly real!
Thank you! It took me a while to wrap my head around his ''experiment,'' but then one day you're like...okay. Still could have chosen a way easier illustration, but whatever.

I read an interesting analysis about this recently, from the cat's perspective. Like, what is the cat doing exactly until the observer returns? :tearsofjoy:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Spooky action at a distance, the observer's affect on the outcome, electrons being in two places at the same time...

We shouldn't kid ourselves that we're close to knowing how the universe works : )

And I love that!

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe because observation is really what matters and relying on probabilities (=possibilities) is not that scientific, I guess.
It is what Fermi tried to say with the Fermi paradox. There are infinite probabilities of extraterrestrial life out there. But, there is no extraterrestrial life until you discover one.
Until you open the box, as for Schrödinger.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

To3a2L8.jpg
Sorry. He's dead Jim.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

To3a2L8.jpg

To illustrate

aVD0nyO_700b.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
Humans have a hard time grasping the idea that there is a world in which the 'actors' are so small that they simply cannot be observed as a 'thing'; they can only be grasped as extrapolated phenomena. Which is why we humans tend to confuse and conflate the two.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Humans have a hard time grasping the idea that there is a world in which the 'actors' are so small that they simply cannot be observed as a 'thing'; they can only be grasped as extrapolated phenomena. Which is why we humans tend to confuse and conflate the two.

Yeah. Like quantum spin. We literally just throw our arms up and say "well it's not really spinning or it'd have to spin faster than light, but it's behaving as if it is."

PureX

Veteran Member
Yeah. Like quantum spin. We literally just throw our arms up and say "well it's not really spinning or it'd have to spin faster than light, but it's behaving as if it is."
And it's all made especially difficult by the fact that we do not know the 'rules' that are controlling what's happening, to help us understand what's happening. Quantum physics is a fascinating field of inquiry, but anyone involved in it must experience a lot of headache.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
And it's all made especially difficult by the fact that we do not know the 'rules' that are controlling what's happening, to help us understand what's happening. Quantum physics is a fascinating field of inquiry, but anyone involved in it must experience a lot of headache.

:sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

(In my last year of my astrophysics MS and it's at least half quantum from here)