• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lets Dance... Or Not

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have two friends who love dancing. Any kind; formal, casual, spontaneous.

I don't dance. At all.

One accepts this, as she has all my other oddities. Its just part of who I am(or who I'm not). It irks the other to no end, as I often ruin her plans of ecstatic and joyful group expression by calmly sitting in the corner. But, no matter how irritated she gets with me, I don't dance.

When my kids were young, one of the 'milestones' they check for is dancing. (Its something they do to see if your kid may possibly be autistic.) I always found it silly(only one out of three danced, and it wasn't the non-autistic one), that its assumed all people who hear a tune feel an urge to sway to it. All three kids did respond to music(oldest danced, middle one imitated the lead guitar, and youngest sings), but why the emphasis on dancing?

When I hear a tune, one of two things happen. I either decide its awful and shut it off, or decide I like it and sing along, if I know the words(provided no one's listening). But at no point does any urge to move ever come.

I can't be the only one. Does dancing feel uncomfortable for anyone else?
I'm not big on dancing but I'll admit I like watching all the pretty boys and gals.

Oh the memories. Like American Bandstand.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I don't dance. At all.

One accepts this, as she has all my other oddities. Its just part of who I am(or who I'm not). It irks the other to no end, as I often ruin her plans of ecstatic and joyful group expression by calmly sitting in the corner. But, no matter how irritated she gets with me, I don't dance.

When my kids were young, one of the 'milestones' they check for is dancing. (Its something they do to see if your kid may possibly be autistic.) I always found it silly(only one out of three danced, and it wasn't the non-autistic one), that its assumed all people who hear a tune feel an urge to sway to it. All three kids did respond to music(oldest danced, middle one imitated the lead guitar, and youngest sings), but why the emphasis on dancing?

When I hear a tune, one of two things happen. I either decide its awful and shut it off, or decide I like it and sing along, if I know the words(provided no one's listening). But at no point does any urge to move ever come.

I will do hand motions, air guitar, and aggressively sing into an invisible microphone. Other than that, not really.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't dance. At all.

I can't dance as good as Fred Astaire, but I can dance as good as Leo Sayer.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That cata looks not happy

Look fairly relaxed to me.

Ears are still facing forward. Whiskers extended.

Idk.

Edit: "Acute kitty stress signs are:

Eyes wide with dilated pupils
Ears are back flat to their head
Whiskers back against their cheeks
Tense body
They are drooling, yowling or growling
Exaggerated swallowing
Quick licking of nose"

*List not exhaustive

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
fJWbGL.gif

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I don't dance. At all.

I usually just get sweaty and in trouble.
My wife gets mad at me for looking at other people, I guess you are only supposed to be looking at your partner. :shrug:
I'm just looking to see what I'm supposed to be doing. Dancing does not come natural to me. :(

RestlessSoul

I used to love dancing, back in the day. Sweating like a loon to Trance or Deep House at 4.00am in a warehouse in Dalston, grooving to jazz funk somewhere in Soho, or freaking out to Hawkwind at the Youth Club disco.

Getting a bit old for it all now, but I can still be dragged onto the dance floor to do the Old Git Shuffle on the rare occasions I'm out after midnight (or even 9.00pm). Mostly though, I just dance in my head these days; put on Little Richard or Jerry Lee, and my imaginary legs just can't stop shaking.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Never been a dance fan but I quite like watching some of the stuff on TV - like Strictly Come Dancing for example - where there is at least some progress to be observed, and often surprises seen. I thought I had reasonable balance when younger - well ever since - but I noticed an improvement after a skiing holiday, and where such might have made me more likely to step up to the dance floor (but didn't). It may be a truism - that one should dance as if no one is watching - and one that I tend to subscribe to. Hence why so many introvert types, like myself, were never likely to ever want to dance. Too old to bother now, so voyeurism remains the only option, and where I suppose I can say I do at least appreciate what many can achieve. :oops:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Look fairly relaxed to me.

Ears are still facing forward. Whiskers extended.

Idk.

Edit: "Acute kitty stress signs are:

Eyes wide with dilated pupils
Ears are back flat to their head
Whiskers back against their cheeks
Tense body
They are drooling, yowling or growling
Exaggerated swallowing
Quick licking of nose"

*List not exhaustive

Just a naturally angry looking cat then

PureX

Veteran Member
When I was still drinking, I found that alcohol could inspire the urge to dance, and the courage to try. Since I had to stop drinking alcohol (30 years ago), I have not been so inspired or encouraged. But also I'm old, now, and I don't think the body deals in spontaneous movement well as we get older.

To be honest, I think dancing is a lot like learning to play a musical instrument. You have to put some time into it to acquire a collection of 'body memory' moves that you can then mix and match as you please according to how the music makes you feel. But body memory doesn't stick with us. Even when the mind remembers the movement, the body still forgets how.